Just a question about ECAM hard-/vs-software rendering

bpcw001

Hi,

I always used to have ECAM hardware rendering on my trusty GTX580 on Win 7 pro x64 without problems.

Now, on my new computer, I have a GTX970 with the latest and greatest nVidia drivers on Win 10 pro x64 and I can no longer use ECAM hardware rendering. If I do, parts of the engine indications, tick marks etc are missing.

I now use software rendering without any issues or any perceived decline in performance, but I would be interested to know how it can be that hardware rendering no longer works.

What special features are used here? Can nVidia inspector tweaking cause these effects?

Win 10 pro x64, FSX SP2

Thx

Hi There,

This is a known issue, I have raised it in the forum before...I believe Joshua thinks it is to do with Windows 10 not having certain drivers or software installed that is effecting it. Like you had no issue with a lesser GC card but my 970 will not work on hardware rendering either, only software rendering which places more work on the CPU and wastes the GC abilities.

I though by now either Windows 10 updates may have rectified it or AS may have found a solution...but alas no. Anyway the bird should work ok it just means we are not getting the best out of the hardware. makes me wonder if it is linked to the fonts issue as it causes missing items? NI will not solve it I believe.

All the Best 

15 hours ago, fanblade said:

Hi There,

This is a known issue, I have raised it in the forum before...I believe Joshua thinks it is to do with Windows 10 not having certain drivers or software installed that is effecting it. Like you had no issue with a lesser GC card but my 970 will not work on hardware rendering either, only software rendering which places more work on the CPU and wastes the GC abilities.

I though by now either Windows 10 updates may have rectified it or AS may have found a solution...but alas no. Anyway the bird should work ok it just means we are not getting the best out of the hardware. makes me wonder if it is linked to the fonts issue as it causes missing items? NI will not solve it I believe.

All the Best 

Then it would definitely be interesting to know what software/drivers are actually missing from Win 10. The only explanation could be that font handling/rendering has changed in an incompatible way in Windows 10 which would affect symbol display on the ECAMs if those symbols are actually provided by one or more fonts.

However, I would expect that a major change in font/glyph rendering would also affect many other applications, but well ... what do I know.

Let's hope for an answer from the devs. Using more CPU cycles than necessary in FSX is not a good thing if stuff could be offloaded to the GPU.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I always considered the question of what effects FPS more and what less as a sort of religious question. 

My machine for example gives me more FPS when using software rendering than when using hardware rendering. Just because certain parts are handled by the GPU and it's driver and been taken away from the CPU obviously doesn't result always in a more efficient handling all together. Although one would think so...

9 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

I always considered the question of what effects FPS more and what less as a sort of religious question. 

My machine for example gives me more FPS when using software rendering than when using hardware rendering. Just because certain parts are handled by the GPU and it's driver and been taken away from the CPU obviously doesn't result always in a more efficient handling all together. Although one would think so...

Interesting find. For my part, I did not observe any performance drop or other negative impact when using software rendering vs hardware rendering either.

What graphics card do you have?

Have to say, and given my comments above, I agree with Tom...seems to run fine using SR and have not noticed any performance drop...I never watch the fps anymore...just smoothness.... though at present Bus is in the Hanger so FPS are maximum...LOL...see my other posts in the forum....not wishing to put two subjects in this thread so will not discuss.

All the Best

Mark  

OK. Like I said. I'm fine with software rendering. Just wanted to make sure that I did not miss something out, like a major performance improvement or some feature that might only be available when using hardware rendering.

From my side, case closed.

Archived