Tailstrikes

blindfinder

• Deputy Sheriffs

There is no limit so to speak. Airbus just lists the conditions when a tailstrike will occur here.

Before you go testing this in the sim I would advise you not to. This is not something that has been modeled to be as exact as possible. We are trying to simulate the experiences of a captain here and not that of a testpilot. ;)

ps, the difference between the two is if the main landing gear is in it's compressed state or not.

pps, in the RW we use 10 degrees as an operational limit for the A319, A320 and 7.5 degrees for the A321.

The A321 was my real concern since its more prone to tailstrike. I usually get airborn close to the 10 degree line on long runways (with Flaps2) so I wonder if I ever get a tailstrike or not. Flaps 1 never works for me on the A321 even with a slow rotation. We don't get that "Tailstrike" message on the ECAM like the A340-600 so it's hard to tell in the simulator. I assume the real A321 does not have that ECAM message. How are you all doing this?

Should I be looking to be airborne around 7.5 degrees as a rule of thumb? Try MHTG to KMIA with Flaps 3 off of runway 02 at MHTG, the A321 barley wants to lift off and will tailstrike even with slow rotation. The RW charts for the A321 say 87,000 is the MTW on runway 02 (6,630 Feet Long) with Flaps 3 at 30c. I am at 78,000 with Flaps 3 and a V2 of 138knots.The V2 is above the "Minimum V2 Limited by VMU/VMCA" chart so not sure what I am doing wrong to get off this runway.

I appreciate your feedback

Thank you

I don't have the books to hand at the moment to give you the precise numbers in terms of liftoff attitude, but as a general comment: you shouldn't be rotating especially "slowly": the FCOM procedure of 2.5-3 degrees per second works fine and should be applicable to all the variants. If you're not airborne when you get to 7.5 degrees in the 321, just check the rotation and hold it there -- the aircraft should fly off, if it hasn't started to already, and once you are airborne you can smoothly continue to raise the nose to meet the FD bars.

Virtually all my takeoffs are in Config 1. I can't say I've noticed any particular sluggishness about the 321, but I don't fly it as frequently as the 320 and 319: I'll keep an eye out next time I do.

Archived