Looking for a graphics card for FSX

• Aerosoft

If you are in the market for a graphics card for FSX and happen to run Vista you should check out the new cards from NVIDIA and ATI, GeForce 8800 GTX and ATI R600.

I expect they are going to sell these cards so cheap to open up the DX10 market so they can start to sell the high end DX10 cards better. But at the expected prices and with the expected specs, these are killer buys.

There is a load of info around, but check out this; http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=4834 normally the guys at Guru3d are underwhelmed with cheap cards but they certainly are exited over this one.

Mathijs,

Your link only references a download to the new Aquamark benchmark software...I don't think that this is related to your topic?

In any case, prices begin around $325.00 for a GTS and just over $400.00 for the GTX (U.S. pricing)

Here is the corrected URL I believe Mathijs meant to provide:

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=4834

Wow, - these are the Nvidia 8600 series DX10 compliant cards to sell for around $150.00!!!

Thanks Mathijs for original post

I'm using the ATI x850xt pe with 256meg. According to MemStatus, FSX is not ever using all of the 256, so I have no plans on updating my graphics card. Now... if only I could find a superfast single-core cpu!

• Aerosoft

I'm using the ATI x850xt pe with 256meg. According to MemStatus, FSX is not ever using all of the 256, so I have no plans on updating my graphics card. Now... if only I could find a superfast single-core cpu!

By tweaking the FSX.cfg you can use the remaining memory to buffer objects;

[bufferPools]

PoolSize=1000000

This setting establishes the amount of video memory devoted to caching 3D models. Higher values increase frame rate smoothness and reduce the need to reload 3D models when rendering a scene, but may also use video memory that is needed elsewhere. The default value is 1000000.

Heres a screenshot of Mega Frankfurt on a beautiful winter day with FS9

http://home.wi.rr.com/roadway/eddf2.JPG

As you can see i wont be getting FSX anytime soon the FS9 Graphics are good enough for me heres my comp specs

ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 2.93GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP

SILVERSTONE ST85ZF ATX12V / EPS12V 850W Power Supply