PFPX crash on initialization

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Visual C++ Redistributable, both x86 & x64 2015 versions here

For a clean install:

1. De-activate the license in Program Options ( PFPX will close )
  2. Backup the PFPX data folder ( C:\Users\Public\Documents\PFPX Data )
  3. Uninstall PFPX via control panel
  4. Delete the PFPX data folder
  5. Delete the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\FlightSimSoft.com\PFPX ( USERS RISK )

I would use a registry cleaner at this point

Re-install PFPX and activate the license.

Install AIRAC if required

Restore ONLY the data you require from your backed up PFPX Data folder

Thanks Stephen. I'll go through those steps after a re-boot.

I believe overclocking was the culprit in the corruption as PFPX isn't the only app hanging in strange places.
Adding OC was the only change i did to my PC since yesterday.

PS - deactivating the license isn't an option since it hangs on the "initializing schedule" screen.

screen shot

I was considering the OP's post on reverting to WIN7 from 10 Bob.

Have you tried backing up/deleting the Schedules.txt located in the PFPX Data folder, you never know it may be corrupted.

Hi Stephen.  

Yes, deleting the schedules.txt was the first move I tried w/ no luck.

So I went through your steps precisely and did a full re-install (and removed my overclock).

Same thing. So the OP and  I must have something in common in our hardware/OS.

Specs:

Intel i7 6700k @4.0

16gb DDR4@3200

Nvidia GeForce 970GTX 

Windows 10x 64

Maybe others w/ this problem will start reporting in since this is topping the google search now.

still getting hangup

Found the FIX:

It is a Windows 10 issue.

Right click on PFPX.exe and run the compatibility troubleshooter and click test. The program will start right up like it's supposed to.

Mine find a happy home w/ Win 8 compatibility. 

I'm back to running PFPX.

Bob

Tom / All:

Apologies for jumping the gun... Seems it was a one-time event that let me back into the program after the troubleshooter. I'm back to square 1 even with the backwards compatibility added.

I'll keep trying different things and be sure it works more than once before I follow-up again.

I'm still interested in the OP's hardware platform so we can compare if we have something in common...

ALSO - OP - are you running multi-monitor? It would really help a lot if you shut down monitor #2 and see if the program launches correctly on the primary monitor.

100% this was a multi-monitor issue. The program runs on my primary LCD, but not on the extended desktop LCD. I don't know why (yet), but turning off monitor #2 and forcing PFPX back to monitor #1 solved the issue.

I'm also having the same problem with Vatspy and Viber on monitor #2.

The reason it worked with the compatibility troubleshooter is because it opened up on monitor #1, hence the reason I thought the troubleshooter is what fixed the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:43 PM, bob34 said:

Had exactly the same problem and solved with the same solution.

Funny I was running PFPX on the second monitor with windows 10-no problem.

Rebuilt my system and was having the same issues you were.

Thanks for the solution although I wish I could run it on #2.

On 1/27/2016 at 7:34 PM, danc444 said:

Funny I was running PFPX on the second monitor with windows 10-no problem.

Rebuilt my system and was having the same issues you were.

Thanks for the solution although I wish I could run it on #2.

I still can't run PFPX or Vatspy on monitor #2. It freezes the program.

I'm sure it has something to do with different resolutions 1920x1280 and 1920x1024 and maybe some scaling issues. I haven't really tested different settings since everytime I boot with 1 monitor, all my desktop icons get messed up.
Let me know if you ever solve this. I'll do that same. Thanks...

Another follow-up. Both my monitors now are the same. Same brand, same resolution.

PFPX just refuses to start on the second monitor on the extended desktop. It freezes up right at the initializing schedule screen.

Anyone else experiencing this?

• 6 months later...
On 2/5/2016 at 10:12 AM, bob34 said:

Another follow-up. Both my monitors now are the same. Same brand, same resolution.

PFPX just refuses to start on the second monitor on the extended desktop. It freezes up right at the initializing schedule screen.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes.  After being away from the sim for a few months, I came back and updated hardware and software (W10 Pro) and have the exact issue.  If PFPX starts on the second screen (extended desktop), it freezes as soon as the interface opens up.  If I disable the second screen, forcing it to start on the primary display, all is well.  In fact, if I keep it on the primary screen and enable the second one, I'm still good to go....until I move the program to the second screen, then it freezes.

10 hours ago, Withabix said:

Fixed. Right Click PPFX and run as administrator.

Nope.

For anyone else that's experienced this issue, I reported it to PFPX today and they acknowledged that they've sometimes experienced it as well and expect to have the issue resolved in the next update.

Archived