How to use the ILS to land the Lightning..

TheCameronPerson

Hi,

I've been experimenting with the ILS on the Lightning for quite some time but I've still to yet successfully land the aircraft so I was wondering if I could have some help :D

I believe I've set the ILS up correctly in the aircraft by inputting the NAV 1 into the TACAN using the conversion card provided, I set the runway heading and runway course and I've selected the ILS mode on the compass.. My problem seems to be that I don't know what switches to press on the autopilot. Even when I select autopilot on the control column the aircraft reacts as if I've nose dived the ground, this is also when I haven't touched my joystick and therefore there's no chance of me accidentally disengaging the autopilot. Also all switches are set to the required position using the shift-2 option and I'm running on the latest version of both the F3 and F6.

I would appreciate any feedback, thank you :')

Regards

Cameron.

Anyone?... :/

Patience you must have my young Padewan....:D

You seem to be making the right settings , but a point to note not all the ILS markers work in FSX and some of those that do are not correctly aligned with the runway so practice on one you know is working.and accurate

If you have all the settings right, when you enter the corridor and capture the signals the orange Beam and Glide windows on the NAV gauge will turn black and the ILS bars will activate .

You can use the bars to manually fly the glide path or activate the Autoland.

Check the AP unit master switch is on and all the other keys are off, and hover the mouse over the "little stick" and adjust  the climb/decent  rate to 0 .

Select AP on the control column and press the keys for "Track/Glide"on the AP unit.keep an eye on your speed and use the throttle to keep you centered on the glide, if you are to fast or slow you will break out of the glidepath as the autopilot flys on trim .

If you want to use autothrottle engage the clutch lever (below the throttlebox) when the speed is below 275kts and cancel as you cross the threshold as it will try and keep the aircraft at 180kts so you'll dissapear off the end of the runway.

Cheers

Dave R

Archived