Tiller question

bpcw001

Hi,

I have recently activated the tiller feature in the right MCDU and set up my axes accordingly. Rudder goes to hardware pedals, Tiller is a separate second Joystick with respective axis assigned to Throttle #3.
Still, I am wondering how the whole thing between rudder and tiller is supposed to work.

I can steer the aircraft on the ground when taxiing using the tiller just fine, but when using the rudder pedals they don't move in the VC or have any other effect, regardless whether the "rudder disconnect" button is pressed or depressed.

Futhermore, I would expect that when the "rudder disconnect" is active, I would be able to move the rudder pedals while on the ground, e. g. for the rudder flight control test. This is not the case.

There is no pedal movement in the VC, and the FCL page does not indicate any rudder movement.

I have found that the rudder pedals only become active at about 80kts during the takeoff roll, and only then stepping into the pedals actually translates into a visible pedal movement in the VC and the rudder control surface is being moved.

In flight, the rudder pedals are working as expected.

Same goes for landing. Rudder pedals stay active up to a certain speed on the runway. When decelerated to that speed, pedals "freeze" and the tiller becomes active, with any hardware pedal movement no longer being translated into VC pedal movement and the according movement of the rudder.

So, is there a problem with my setup? If no, what is the "rudder disconnect" button on the tiller supposed to do in the simulation? How is the tiller supposed to work together with the rudder pedals (in real world and in the sim)?

Thanks for clarification

In most FSX aircraft, the rudders will also operate the nose wheel steering.  This is a shotcut / ease of programming that Microsoft used.

In the actual aircraft, there is no linkage between the rudder and nose wheel steering, they are two independent systems.  I'm not sure of the exact speed at which the nose wheel steering becomes locked, but it's about the same time that the rudder surface becomes effective at providing lateral control of the aircraft.  80 knots may very well be that speed - think of it this way, you have to have enough air moving across the surface for it to be effective and that takes speed.

Sounds like things are working correctly for you.

Archived