Beaver X Crashing

BlackDog

Unless I execute a near perfect three point landing my new Beaver X crashes every time. The front wheels sink into the ground or pavement and the prop stops turning. I have all the realism settings maxed out on the sliders and don't really want to compromise that. I am succesful on occasion but this plane is way to unforgiving based on my understanding of how durable and forgiving the plane is in TRW.

• Aerosoft
I've had the Ski model crash a couple of times, but the I've landed the straight wheels model quite hard without a problem.

Indeed, I have not see this issue reported before. All contacts points should handle an impact of 1600 fpm or more (most will handle 2000 fpm) and that is quite a bump (the ski version is more fragile). Of course we can 'bump' it up to 3000 fpm but that would really make it too strong.

Any other people having problems landing our sturdy baby?

Quote: "Indeed, I have not see this issue reported before. All contacts points should handle an impact of 1600 fpm or more (most will handle 2000 fpm) and that is quite a bump (the ski version is more fragile). Of course we can 'bump' it up to 3000 fpm but that would really make it too strong."

BTW, I've been replaying the crashes for a while now from both the exterior and the instrucment view. Typically I am descending between 700 and 300 FPM. Nose high but not high enough to affect a three point landing. It is with the skis (typically up but on occasion down, better success rate when down) but I've tried it with the tundra wheels and regular wheels and it is consistently crashing. Altitude at arrival airfield is ~ 8,100 (CD10).

• Aerosoft
Quote: "Indeed, I have not see this issue reported before. All contacts points should handle an impact of 1600 fpm or more (most will handle 2000 fpm) and that is quite a bump (the ski version is more fragile). Of course we can 'bump' it up to 3000 fpm but that would really make it too strong."

BTW, I've been replaying the crashes for a while now from both the exterior and the instrucment view. Typically I am descending between 700 and 300 FPM. Nose high but not high enough to affect a three point landing. It is with the skis (typically up but on occasion down, better success rate when down) but I've tried it with the tundra wheels and regular wheels and it is consistently crashing. Altitude at arrival airfield is ~ 8,100 (CD10).

But at 700 fpm vertical speed a crash is impossible. The altitude seems to be the issue here. Personally I doubt the Beaver can be landed safely at that altitude (you certainly need a light load, a long runway and a good pilot). As a standard cruise altitude is 3000 feet BELOW your landing altitude you are pretty far near the edges of the envelope. 8100 feet really screams for a turboprop and a thinner wing.

What's your landing speed? With that altitude, you'll probably need a lot more forward speed on to enable decent flare.

I haven't been having landing troubles myself, but I haven't tried Lukla or the like yet either. Highest I've been is Innsbruck (1800') and near Through Glacier, northeast of Ketchikan (4500 ish)

What's your landing speed? With that altitude, you'll probably need a lot more forward speed on to enable decent flare.

I haven't been having landing troubles myself, but I haven't tried Lukla or the like yet either. Highest I've been is Innsbruck (1800') and near Through Glacier, northeast of Ketchikan (4500 ish)

My approach speed is ~ 70 KIAS. My landing speed is ~ 50 KIAS.

As far as load goes, I had one pilot (170 lbs), no cargo, and ~200 lbs of fule. In other words, very light.

It is possible to crash at 700 FPM because I've done it. It is also possible to crash at 300 FPM because I've done it.

• Aerosoft

My approach speed is ~ 70 KIAS. My landing speed is ~ 50 KIAS.

As far as load goes, I had one pilot (170 lbs), no cargo, and ~200 lbs of fule. In other words, very light.

It is possible to crash at 700 FPM because I've done it. It is also possible to crash at 300 FPM because I've done it.

Yes, but the moment you hit the ground Ground Speed become pretty important and (not knowing the density Altitude I am using Standard Atmosphere) you got to add at least 20 knots to your landing speed at 8200 feet. And at that altitude a stall is as lot more violent so I think what is happening is pretty correct, in fact FSX surprises me by doing it so well.

To be 100% sure I called a friend who flies Beavers and who has taken them up to higher elevations airports as well. Now he basically tells me that any pilot who lands a Beaver at 8200 feet has very large cojones. He would not go over 6000 feet and only in Beavers that had near perfect engines (ours has not) and in near perfect weather (so wind good on the runway and only with a very low Density Altitude). So if you allow me, you are using the aircraft for something it has not been designed for. If it crashes readily under those conditions it means the air file has been modeled accurately.

We are not able to crash the aircrafts at vertical speeds lower then set in the aircraft.cfg. if you manage to do that repeatably it can only be a bug in FSX as the settings in the aircraft.cfg for the contacts points define what the boundaries between crash and not crash are. I strongly advise you to contact MS for that. They have our BeaverX and they can see what the settings in our aircraft.cfg are.

• Aerosoft
+one

Same problem as black dog and others, the ski model is unlandable when skis are raised, no problem with skis down or with the wheel model.

Okay we should able to fix this easy, will work on it tomorrow. In FSX there is a new contact point defined (type 16) and it is ski. It is however not included in the SDK so we had to experiment a lot to get it to work.