SODE issues

Vor 1 Stunde, ca210270 sagte:

In fact, what's the conclusion? Will sceneries with SODE 1.3 harm those that don't have it, yet? Is SODE 1.3 already usable? Will Rome Fiumicino update with SODE 1.3 (due in beta testing already since the beginning of January) be released in the coming days?

1. The conclusion is that you can use the latest SODE 1.3 (which is currently used in the recently updated LOWS scenery for object placement and lighting) with the older airport that are developed with SODE 1.21. However, you will loose functionality of moving jetways for that older airports with 1.3, but they are still visible. If you don't have an airport that uses SODE 1.3, just do not update and stay with SODE 1.21. No need to update until the developers have updated their sceneries to be conform with 1.3.

2. SODE 1.3 will certainly work for windsacks, object placement, and many other things even with the older sceneries. There are only the jetways that do not move, because they must be recompiled. But the jetways are displayed, even with SODE 1.3. So yes, unless you do not need the functionality of the jetways and you have 1.3 airports, you can switch to SODE 1.3.

3. LIRF, and other airports such as EPWA, UUEE will be updated by the developers. But apparently you have to wait. Drzewiecki Design stated that their airports will be updated by spring.

Everything can be read in the SODE migration guide and the SODE user guide at http://sode.12bpilot.ch/?page_id=9

Cheers,
Chris

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you very much, Chris. As far as I know, the developer of LIRF has already updated the scenery with 1.3, so it's now up to Aerosoft to release the update. However, since of the SODE-jetway sceneries I only have EPWA and LIRF, when the LIRF update comes out I will lose jetway functionality at EPWA, but I will wait for the EPWA update. Now my main priority is having LIRF with SODE 1.3, since I fly mostly at LIRF and those pauses with 1.21 are not acceptable, at times the sim even goes into pause and stays there...

On 1/26/2016 at 8:24 AM, WebMaximus said:

I'm a bit surprised though because as I wrote a few posts back I didn't think you could have 2 different versions of SODE running at the same time in the simulator.

Then I have a question. The known issue where you'll get micro pauses using SODE version 1.2x still exists I assume when running SODE version 1.3 in parallel?

No pauses here LOWS is now using SODE 1.3, but ULLI, UUEE and LIRF  using 1.22...

I was having some pauses at LIRF, but they have stopped. In my FSX menu bar, under addons, I have 2 SODE entries. It appears to not be any problem for me so far.

I AM, however, having crazy AES issues! I started another post for that frustrating situation. No sense muddying the waters here with that one as it's off topic...

So, as recommended by Evgeny, I am indeed running both SODE 1.22 and SODE 1.3 but they are in different locations (SODE 1.3 MUST be installed in C:|Program files\(x86)) 1.22 is in the FSX root directory as a folder. Once all the developers update their SODE airports, I will be getting rid of the SODE 1.22 folder for good (I will also need to edit the exe.dll to exclude the 1.22 path). I tend to think that as long as SODE 1.2X with 1/3 MUST be in different locations. It's a good thing that Jeffrey has decided to put 1.3 out of the FSX root directory. This is most likely the reason I can run them both but not exactly "in parallel"...

I believe Evgeny told me that ULLI is next for update, followed by DD, Drzweikie, an all the others. 

Cheers everyone :-) 

Bill A

***EDIT*** I decided to show my exe.dll so you can see the different paths to SODE...They are the 2 last SODE entries on the list. The 2nd to last entry is the path to SODE 1.3. The bottom entry is the path to SODE 1.22

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Couatl</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>as_btstrp_config_manager</Name>
    <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp_config_manager.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>UT2</Name>
    <Path>D:\FSX\\Flight One Software\Ultimate Traffic 2\UT2Services.exe</Path>
    <NewConsole>True</NewConsole>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>SODE</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\12bPilot\SODE\SimObjectDisplayEngine.exe</Path>
    <CommandLine>FSX</CommandLine>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>SODE</Name>
    <Path>D:\FSX\SODE\SimObjectDisplayEngine.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Just now, ca210270 said:

Bill, you say that you already have LIRF with SODE 1.3? How is that possible, if Aerosoft hasn't yet released the LIRF update?

My mistake!! I meant LOWS. Sorry! But the stutters and pauses have stopped at LIRF but I don't know why. 

LIRF, as well as all the sceneries that use a previous version of SODE for the jetways, will not work until the developers update the jetways. That's why I said that we need to wait for Aerosoft to release the LIRF update...

I am using AES at LIRF (to be honest, I always used AES and never even tried SODE jetways!)

Please login to display this image.

4 minutes ago, ca210270 said:

LIRF, as well as all the sceneries that use a previous version of SODE for the jetways, will not work until the developers update the jetways. That's why I said that we need to wait for Aerosoft to release the LIRF update...

I guess I will HAVE to learn how to use SODE jetways in the future!. 

The confusion and technical issues caused by this add-on, and the poor installation procedures and requirements, make it hardly worthwhile. I have had to do so much debugging to install sceneries that insist on using it, that I am seriously tempted not to buy any that do. Just my two cents on the subject.

DJ

After installing SODE 1.3 (folders Program Files (X86)\.... and ProgramData\....) and doing everything as suggested by the SODE Migration Guide, I left the old SODE 1.21 folders inside the main P3D folder and inside Simobjects\Misc. Then I added, in the exe.xml and dll.xml files, the path to the old SODE (as suggested by phantomflyer). I went to LIRF and the jetways worked, but, after docking to the airplane, the sim froze without any message. I tried more times but same thing. What could I have done wrong?

By the way, when is Aerosoft going to release the LIRF update? Are they beta testing it or what? 

If you did everything exactly as you should, and the sim froze then it could be an error in the exe.xml and/or dll.xml files. The only cure for this nonsense will be for the developer to make the SODE library backwards compatible in each release, and for scenery developers to create a standard discipline for using it. Until then, I consider it to be more trouble than it is worth.

DJ

• Developer
vor 17 Minuten, ca210270 sagte:

I went to LIRF and the jetways worked, but, after docking to the airplane, the sim froze without any message. I tried more times but same thing. What could I have done wrong?

I have always said that it is not recommended to run two SODE modules in parallel! While it may work just for display of objects, triggering jetways will certainly crash because there are two jetway engines running simultaneously writing/reading into the same memory area.

DJ,

SODE has always been backwards compatible from V1.0 to V1.2.2. Due to a design/concept error in the jetway engine (the pause issue), I had to rethink the way how the engine should handle jetways and introduced the solution in V1.3. This stuff happens when you try to push the boundaries of the SimConnect API and what is possible with it. Ideally, this issue should have been caught during beta testing of the add-ons implementing SODE, but they have been released and I had no reports of that issue at that time. Also, at the same time, LM released P3D v3 which reorganized the way of how to install add-ons.

V1.3 is by a large extend backwards compatible, it's just the jetways that won't work (but they are displayed) and you need to move around some files and folders to get old sceneries working if you don't want to wait for the official updates of the developers.

I am even helping a couple of devs (EPWA, UUEE, EETN) out by creating the jetways for them to get the updates quicker to all of you. LIRF is already made V1.3 compatible according to their facebook page and they are beta testing the update.

1 hour ago, ca210270 said:

Thank you , Mathijs, but in fact, on the MK Studios Facebook page, on Jan 11 they reported that the update was in beta testing. Three weeks ago...

Yep. We are waiting for a fix that could resolve the micropauses that affect this nice scenery. :D

Hope they can release it soon and thanks for the updates. 

1 hour ago, 12bPilot said:

I have always said that it is not recommended to run two SODE modules in parallel! While it may work just for display of objects, triggering jetways will certainly crash because there are two jetway engines running simultaneously writing/reading into the same memory area.

DJ,

SODE has always been backwards compatible from V1.0 to V1.2.2. Due to a design/concept error in the jetway engine (the pause issue), I had to rethink the way how the engine should handle jetways and introduced the solution in V1.3. This stuff happens when you try to push the boundaries of the SimConnect API and what is possible with it. Ideally, this issue should have been caught during beta testing of the add-ons implementing SODE, but they have been released and I had no reports of that issue at that time. Also, at the same time, LM released P3D v3 which reorganized the way of how to install add-ons.

V1.3 is by a large extend backwards compatible, it's just the jetways that won't work (but they are displayed) and you need to move around some files and folders to get old sceneries working if you don't want to wait for the official updates of the developers.

I am even helping a couple of devs (EPWA, UUEE, EETN) out by creating the jetways for them to get the updates quicker to all of you. LIRF is already made V1.3 compatible according to their facebook page and they are beta testing the update.

Hi, 12Bravo - since the Jetways seem to be the main attraction, you probably need some better structured beta test plans... If users have to move files and folders around you are asking for big trouble. The SODE installer needs to be environmentally aware - it needs to check for incompatible versions, warn the user, not make double entries in the exe.xml and dll.xml files and so on... I don't mean to sound harsh, but I did this sort of thing for 40+ years on systems that are a heck of a lot more complicated than FS ever will be and currently SODE is a pain to get installed and working with more than one airport.

DJ

Vor 1 Stunde, ubersu sagte:

If users have to move files and folders around you are asking for big trouble. The SODE installer needs to be environmentally aware - it needs to check for incompatible versions, warn the user, not make double entries in the exe.xml and dll.xml files and so on...

Sorry, for the defence of Jeffrey, but it appears that you have never installed SODE 1.3 or read the developer's migration guide. This is exactly what the new SODE 1.3 version does. The movement of files is only required for experienced users that wish to use their old sceneries with the latest SODE. It is a temporary solution until the developers bring out their updates.

• Developer
Vor 1 Stunde, ubersu sagte:

Hi, 12Bravo - since the Jetways seem to be the main attraction, you probably need some better structured beta test plans... If users have to move files and folders around you are asking for big trouble. The SODE installer needs to be environmentally aware - it needs to check for incompatible versions, warn the user, not make double entries in the exe.xml and dll.xml files and so on... I don't mean to sound harsh, but I did this sort of thing for 40+ years on systems that are a heck of a lot more complicated than FS ever will be and currently SODE is a pain to get installed and working with more than one airport.

DJ

The installation of SODE up to V1.2.2 including entries in the xml files was in the hands of the individual add-on makers. They were responsible to check for old installs etc, I have written guidelines about it. But obviously they were not always followed and old SODE versions got installed over newer ones, entries written into the xml without checks for any existing entries etc. So looking back, this distribution scheme has proven to be wrong. (Remember, SODE is a free product and I can't devote all my freetime to check each developer's installer).

That's why I have decided to make my own V1.3 installer that should be used by the add-on makers from now on (bundled into their own installers). The new installer checks for old/new installations as you suggested and all of the xml handling is done by a separate easy to use utility. I will release each update using an own, incremental installer.

I do hope that with this new distribution scheme, the old problems will not appear anymore. I know this transition time now is a bit frustrating, it surely is for me. I only can ask for a little more patience until the airports are upgraded to V1.3. Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, Cargostorm said:

Sorry, for the defence of Jeffrey, but it appears that you have never installed SODE 1.3 or read the developer's migration guide. This is exactly what the new SODE 1.3 version does. The movement of files is only required for experienced users that wish to use their old sceneries with the latest SODE. It is a temporary solution until the developers bring out their updates.

Actually, I have...

DJ

1 hour ago, 12bPilot said:

The installation of SODE up to V1.2.2 including entries in the xml files was in the hands of the individual add-on makers. They were responsible to check for old installs etc, I have written guidelines about it. But obviously they were not always followed and old SODE versions got installed over newer ones, entries written into the xml without checks for any existing entries etc. So looking back, this distribution scheme has proven to be wrong. (Remember, SODE is a free product and I can't devote all my freetime to check each developer's installer).

That's why I have decided to make my own V1.3 installer that should be used by the add-on makers from now on (bundled into their own installers). The new installer checks for old/new installations as you suggested and all of the xml handling is done by a separate easy to use utility. I will release each update using an own, incremental installer.

I do hope that with this new distribution scheme, the old problems will not appear anymore. I know this transition time now is a bit frustrating, it surely is for me. I only can ask for a little more patience until the airports are upgraded to V1.3. Thanks for your input.

Good show - I wish you luck with the new scheme...

DJ

I think that Jeffrey can't be blamed for how developers use his product. It's useful to note again that the product is also free for developers to use. If it was a paid product the expectation would certainly be much different. I personally use SODE V1.22 and SODE V1.3 with no problems, although using them both at the same time is problematic if you wish to use the animated jetways while both versions are running. This has been discussed above. Additionally I appreciate Jeffrey's input to these posts concerning SODE, remembering it is a free product. Please keep up the good work Jeffrey, hopefully this is a momentary bump in the SODE evolution.

Nick

• OPabst locked this topic

Archived