How to use that midget Beaver gps?

GFLY

[1] So small it's impossible to read. [2] No clue in manual how to enlarge it. [3] Shift 3 doesn't function. So what's the point of having what seems to be a purely decorative instrument? Is there no way to use gps with the Beaver?

Simply pan on it so it is in the middle of Your screen and zoom in with the + key.

If You have trimmed it for level flight, the beaver is steady enough to give You the time needed to operate it that way, but a pop-up window would do no harm :=)

Wothan

• Aerosoft
[1] So small it's impossible to read. [2] No clue in manual how to enlarge it. [3] Shift 3 doesn't function. So what's the point of having what seems to be a purely decorative instrument? Is there no way to use gps with the Beaver?

Of course, like any other instrument in VC you can zoom into it in different ways. For example like Wothan explained or with the new spacebar+mouse method (I personally prefer that way as it is faster). This is not explained in the manual as it is a base function of FSX, not something special to this aircraft. But it is certainly possible to use the GPS like that.

We are experimenting with methods of adding pop up gauges, but in FSX VC and 2d do not mix very well so I am not sure how this will work out. Another method is to add a new VC view. If you add this:

[CameraDefinition.007]

Title = "GPS"

Guid = {C0FCA0CF-44CA-4a2e-8798-773365C27575}

Origin = Virtual Cockpit

MomentumEffect = No

SnapPbhAdjust = None

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhReturn = False

Track = None

ShowAxis = FALSE

AllowZoom = TRUE

InitialZoom = 1.00

SmoothZoomTime = 2.0

ZoomPanScalar = 1.0a

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = TRUE

ShowLensFlare=FALSE

Category = Cockpit

PitchPanRate=20

HeadingPanRate=60

InitialXyz = 0.08, -0.25, 0.42

InitialPbh= 0.00, 3.00, -33.00

as the last view, so just above [Weight-and_balance] in the aircraft.cfg you will get a new view that looks like I show below. If this is what you wanted I can insert it in all aircraft without any problem. I tried to make it look as if you were leaning over the yoke to look at the small screen.

Wothan: many thanks, but I can't make it pan. On the default Beaver I can Shift+3 to call up the gps, and then pan it very easily, but on the Aerosoft Beaver that's impossible. So what's your secret of panning?

• Aerosoft
Wothan: many thanks, but I can't make it pan. On the default Beaver I can Shift+3 to call up the gps, and then pan it very easily, but on the Aerosoft Beaver that's impossible. So what's your secret of panning?

Shift -3 will open a static GPS 500 (strange choice that as it is not seen in the VC to be mounted anywhere and it is not a handheld instrument) but you can not pan or zoom on a static display. Not sure what mean.

With panning, I meant panning in the virtual cockpit, wich is done with the POV-hat on Your joystick, or by pressing and holding the spacebar, while moving the mouse, in order to place the GPS in the middle of the screen, and then zoom.

The solution, presented by Mathijskok with the additional view config ,sounds as an good idea.

But speaking GPS, I don´t use it very much since I find it spoils the bush flying experience. It is much more fun to learn the basics of navigation through visual cues and navaids like NDB´s and VOR´s, but as a reference to verify your position, that you allready found through visual refernces , it´s ok.

Wothan

If you add this:

[CameraDefinition.007]

Title = "GPS"

Guid = {C0FCA0CF-44CA-4a2e-8798-773365C27575}

Origin = Virtual Cockpit

MomentumEffect = No

SnapPbhAdjust = None

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = None

PanPbhReturn = False

Track = None

ShowAxis = FALSE

AllowZoom = TRUE

InitialZoom = 1.00

SmoothZoomTime = 2.0

ZoomPanScalar = 1.0a

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = TRUE

ShowLensFlare=FALSE

Category = Cockpit

PitchPanRate=20

HeadingPanRate=60

InitialXyz = 0.08, -0.25, 0.42

InitialPbh= 0.00, 3.00, -33.00

now there's an interesting solution! 8) If you want some other views, check out the Beaver X announcement in the General Forum.

Thanks, Wothan, and special thanks Mathijs [nice to see you again] for the options. I think your camera definition might prove a bit obtrusive, so I've played around with the new mouse features - I'd never tried them before - and settled on SHIFT+O and mouse wheel, which works better for me than the mouse/spacebar in sizing the gps. Now I'm a happy customer, so-

all the best - Peter

• Aerosoft
Thanks, Wothan, and special thanks Mathijs [nice to see you again] for the options. I think your camera definition might prove a bit obtrusive, so I've played around with the new mouse features - I'd never tried them before - and settled on SHIFT+O and mouse wheel, which works better for me than the mouse/spacebar in sizing the gps. Now I'm a happy customer, so-

all the best - Peter

Darned, I did not even know the shift-o option...