Carrier TACAN... argh!

odourboy

Just bought this aircraft (nice!) but I can't seem to get TACAN distance/bearing info or ILS for Tacpack carriers at all. I can track a tanker or an conventional VOR just fine. But a carrier doesn't show up on my NAV. Here are some screen shots of settings as I fly over the Nimitz. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Please login to display this image.

Never mind. Reading through the forums here I see that the the carrier TACAN integration with TacPack was never implemented. Hoping for a fix with the SP that's been mentioned to be in the works.

• 1 month later...

Sadly, this is not something that will be fixed in the SP>

The problem is that the F-14 was in development for 3.5 years before initial release. Pretty much all the digital systems were built before TacPack became available, even the preliminary versions that went out to the developers.

The radar and weapon systems translated fairly nicely, but the TACAN systems are fundamentally different from eachother (static vs selectable), and it requires the a ground up rebuild of the entire TACAN system. The developer who initially did this work is no longer able to contribute, so we're stuck with what we've got in that sense.

I'm good friends with both of those groups (and have a lot of respect for them), but it would be difficult. Both of those groups use C++/SimConnect type gauges almost exclusively (as do I) while our coder who did the weapon and navigation systems used xml exclusively.

So a TacPack compatible, C++ based TACAN system could be grasped pretty quickly, but it would then have to be integrated into a (navigation) system coded in a completely different language. It's not out of the question, but it's definitely not a simple task.

Short story is that it's not out of the question in the long term, but it won't make it into the coming SP.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived