FSDG Greek scenery in P3D v3 deletes the P3D v2 files

hodge001

Hi

I have an odd problem, I have had P3D v2 installed for some time with the following FSDG scenery packages..

Heraklion V2

Kastellorizo V2

Thessaloniki V2

All purchased through Aerosoft.

I also have the following FSDG scenery packages that were purchased directly from FSDG via SimMarket..

Djerba X

Sharm El-Sheikh 2012

As these are now available with installers for P3D v3 I thought I would install them, all went well with the SimMartket versions of Djerba X and Sharm El-Sheikh 2012, but after installing the Greek scenery packages into P3D v3 with the new installers from my Aerosoft account the same scenery files in P3D v2 have been deleted, and reinstalling them into P3D v2 then deletes the P3D v3 scenery files.

I assume that it is possible to have a dual installation of FSDG sceneries in both P3D v2 and V3 as the Djerba X and Sharm El-Sheikh 2012 sceneries exist quite happily in both simulators, unless of course this is a wrong assumption on my part.

Any ideas or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Hodkinson

EDIT

I have just tried installing NUUK into P3D v3 and it too has deleted the P3D v2 files.

• Deputy Sheriffs

As the installer comes from FSDG directly, there is nothing Aerosoft can do. Please contact FSDG to make an installer where this does not happen. I run into the same problem.

The solution FSDG recommends is to install the files into a dummy folder and copy them manually into your respective flightsimulator

Hi

I will contact them with the details, but to be honest the installing into a dummy folder and then manually copying the files files is not really something I will be doing as I could not be sure if one of the scenery.cfg files would become corrupted as the installer must look for at least one of them to add the scenery entries into and then there is the position in the scenery layers to get right in the sim you want to install them into, so I think I will just have to use the scenery packages in one or the other until a real fix can be released.

Thank you for the reply and for the FSDG suggested “fix”, even though I will not be using it I do appreciate you taking the time out to provide the information.

Take care.

Jim Hodkinson

Hi

I do appreciate that one simulator at time is the usual configuration, but I installed both as v2 has almost all of the payware add-ons I have that have been updated to P3D v2 whilst P3D v3 has yet to catch up, so two installation gives me the option of scenery and add-on to use, as there is not a lot worse than having a payware add-on sitting on a DVD due to it not being compatible as yet when two versions of P3D will allow you to use them.

But you are correct one sim is the usual configuration.

Take care.

Jim Hodkinson

Hi

A quick update in that according to the reply I received on the FSDG forum dual installations into the P3D v2 and P3D v3 are not supported, and it is only possible by installing to a temporary folder and then copying and pasting those folders into the respective simulator, and then manually adding those folders to the scenery.cfg file, if you know the layer priority is, which you could find out by making a standard installation into either of the simulators using the installer as normal, but it is not something I will be doing as I mentioned in the post above, I have no news on if this will be supported at a future date but I hope it can be.

Thank you for the replies, and take care.

Jim Hodkinson

Hi

For information only.

Out of curiosity I tried installing one of the Greek Islands scenery packages, in this case Kastellorizo v2, into a temporary folder using the P3D v2 option after first installing them into P3D v3, and the temporary folder was populated with the FSDG files and folders but the P3D v3 files were still removed, it seems that whenever you run the installer and point it to any different location than the last location that the scenery was installed into the other files and folders will be deleted making it impossible to have two installations of the scenery packages, in addition I now cannot reinstall FSDG Kastellorizo v2 as the installer now throws the following error message…

FSDG- Kastellorizo v2 has not been totally installed because of the following reason:

Cannot great the following file:

F:\Lockheed Martin v3\Prepar3D v3\Free Flights\KastellorizoX – At the harbour.$$A

You will have to run this utility again to completely install FSDG-Kastellorizo v2.

Re running the installer again just throws up the same error message and no files are installed.

So I am now left without the scenery in either simulator, and before anyone asks I will not try installing it into a temporary folder again as who knows what error messages I will get if I do and it just is not worth the risk to stable P3D v2 and v3 installations, so I will just put it down to experience and write-off my Kastellorizo v2 purchase.

Jim Hodkinson

Archived