reverse to idle

datoabesa

Hello.I have a question about throttle behavior.When I use reverse power and then move throttle back to idle aircraft rushes forward and gains some speed about 5-10 kts and that's normal?

It does it some time for me to dat . I'm running Presicion Flight Controls and setting the throttles is brutal in fact i can't get them right -always one  higher then the other and i had to make a key through FSUIPC to sync them . I'm not buying no more turbo props cause it's a Microsoft issue  and not Aerosoft's fault-- very sensitive and there again i had to make 2 seperate keys to tap so i can advance or back off throttes in little incerements cause my throttles are way way too sensitive, especially coming in on approach where you have to manage everything pretty tight ,but after i hit F1 to make sure they do go back to idle i find i have to give it time to respond . Just  slamming them down in bata with my throttles and putting it in idle never seems to work cause i can never get them in ildle perfectly so i use F1 .My Real Air Turbine Duke - i have the same problem and the only aircraft that you won't have this way to sensitive problem is the ones like A2A and the Majestic dash 8 Q400 cause they made the aircraft OUTSIDE of the FSX codes., but ya she's a bugger. 

Well I don't know what's normal for a Twin Otter as I have never flown a real one. But for turboprops in general, at least in FSX, it seems normal that reverse spins up the turbines and they take some time to spin down when you come back into forward pitch, which has the consequence that you get forward thrust. So yes, I see that too. More annoyingly I often (50/50) get uneven forward thrust when I come off reverse, which will swing me off the runway if I don't hit the brakes. I think this is probably due to out-of-sync power levers.

my throttles are way way too sensitive, especially coming in on approach where you have to manage everything pretty tight

It is a pain, and why it is so nice to fly a piston-engined plane (like the BN-2 Islander) after the Twin Otter. But if you want something really impossible, try the FSD Turbine Toucan!

FSX (Prepar3D) has some "not-so-fine" quirks when it comes to turboprop simulation. Though we have managed to overcome some of the issues, the base FSX turboprop still shows it´s ugly head under certain circumstances. Annoying, but not something we can do much about. The only other solution would be to bring the entire flight and engine model outside FSX the way Majestic has done it on their Dash 8, but that would definitely also mean that we would have to put a different pricetag on the Twin Otter. It can be lessened by being very carefull moving the throttles from reverse and into idle. Finn

• 4 months later...

I suggest to use the revers thrust only if its necessary. The Twin Otter is famous for his own Stoll characteristic. With Vref of 66 to 70 knots even in a short rwy you don't need to use it.

Once touch down is completed - means nose wheel WOW - just touch a bit back the throttle to activate the beta range. The aircraft slow down as well and naturally you can help using gently the brakes. With this method you don't have any forward thrust effect once you're going forward to Idle.

Hope will be helpfull :)

Archived