F6 and P3D V3

sd_flyer

Hello,

I have couple questions. I'm using P3D V3 under windows 10 with Saitek X-52Pro. All setting are set according to the manual

1. Is F6 really that  laterally unstable in real life? I have hard time keep wings level, Is that notorious feature of real Lightning?

2. In landing configuration (flaps/gear down) at speeds between  200- 180 kts,  F6  has a very high  pitch attitude  so that forward view is completely abstracted. Is that normal? What is proper way to land?

3. Autopilot seems doesn't climb or descent above 500 fpm  although 100 fpm is selected. Is that a bug? 

4. I don't have a TACPAC is my LF sight suppose to work? I armeed weapon ,selected guns, tried to adjust seat high/low and unable to get it to work.

Thanks

Hi

I'll try and answer your questions.......

1)The Lightning should be a beautifully stable , but responsive aircraft to fly . what have you got your stick sensitivity set at  ? I use a Saitek with these settings and find it flys just fine..

Please login to display this image.

2) Yes landing attitude is very nose high..... raise your seat to see over the nose...

Please login to display this image.

3) Not sure what you mean here , I have just had a flight where I set the autopilot to height hold . adjusted the little stick for 2000ft/min climb , set the stopwatch and gained 2000ft in 60 seconds set the controll to 2000ft/min descent and lost 2000 ft in 60 seconds. 

4) Yes your LFS should display the crosshairs. if the LFS/CRT switch (on panel to the left of the sight) is set to LFS , master arm is selected to GW or Guns and eyepoint is in a suitable position.

Hope that helps

Dave R

Thanks Wing.

Got LF sight working. I thought LF switch should up in ON position, it appears to be it must be DOWN. I also tweaked controls and airplane feels better although in turbulence in tend to drop wings a lot 

Few minor problems.

1. I figured why autopilot wouldn't work at the time correctly. it seems like I have engage certain functionality  by turning them "off" and  then "on" in order to work. Not a big deal but weird.

2. If I start up engine manually, during low idle the light "GEN" comes up. For some reason I can  reset it by pressing "AC" or "DC" buttons. However, if I start up using  aerosoft  menu I can reset "GEN" light by pressing "AC" button no problem.

Thanks again. Very interesting airplane to fly I should say.

Thanks Wing.

Got LF sight working. I thought LF switch should up in ON position, it appears to be it must be DOWN. I also tweaked controls and airplane feels better although in turbulence in tend to drop wings a lot 

Few minor problems.

1. I figured why autopilot wouldn't work at the time correctly. it seems like I have engage certain functionality  by turning them "off" and  then "on" in order to work. Not a big deal but weird.

2. If I start up engine manually, during low idle the light "GEN" comes up. For some reason I can  reset it by pressing "AC" or "DC" buttons. However, if I start up using  aerosoft  menu I can reset "GEN" light by pressing "AC" button no problem.

Thanks again. Very interesting airplane to fly I should say.

Ok no problem.the switch selects either LFS .. the sight , or CRT( cathode ray tube) ... the radar as your main aiming device.

The auotopilot switching is correct.  If you interrupt it's function by switching off or pulling the stick back you must deselect all functions and start again.

The AC button reset is a cheat to keep the generators on line for single stick throttles . otherwise the alarm would be constantly sounding when throttling back. With twin throttles keeping one engine above 60% will keep the generators on line.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still having problem with lateral stability and  intermittent autopilot work. Seems like autopilot work only when I use "auto" start from menu.

Lateral stability could be only P3D V3 issue. Not sure if it worth to wait until LM fixes it or perhaps something could be tweaked. 

Is the lateral instability constant or just occasional , and do you have any turbulence selected in your weather engine ? I doubt it is a P3d issue.

For the autopilot you need to first switch power on at the set, then select A/P on the stick and then make the autopilot selections you want . If it works from the menu setting it should  work by hand switching

DR

Yes sometimes in turbulence sometimes in smooth air. I tried to reduce sensitivity of the controls in P3D but it didn't seems help much. Sometimes with tiny adjustment wing drops 50 degrees and rolls to other side.

I will give autopilot another shot. I don't think I'm that ignorant in terms of operation I do use autopilots in real life.  

P.S. Is there any book you can recommend to read about Electric Lighting? Perhaps I can find tips and tricks flying it. Very interesting aircraft but very touchy 

Yes sometimes in turbulence sometimes in smooth air. I tried to reduce sensitivity of the controls in P3D but it didn't seems help much. Sometimes with tiny adjustment wing drops 50 degrees and rolls to other side.

I will give autopilot another shot. I don't think I'm that ignorant in terms of operation I do use autopilots in real life.  

P.S. Is there any book you can recommend to read about Electric Lighting? Perhaps I can find tips and tricks flying it. Very interesting aircraft but very touchy 

The flight dynamics have an altitude band  where CAT will give you a hard time in keeping the wings level , it is a little excessive but I like it B).. at altitude though you should be above the CAT and flight should be smooth and responsive. A Lightning pilot who has flown this commented on how accurately the handling is depicted so I know the FD is right.

Selecting "all on" switches the master power on the Autopilot, I just wondered if it might be a switch you had missed..... I didn't know if you were familiar with 50 year old AP systems ...;)

A good technical read is" Lightning from the Cockpit" by Peter Caygill .  For more general reading" The Lightning Boys" by Righard Pike (two books)  or  "Lightning Strikes twice" by Martin Bowman.

For the down side of flying " Lightning Eject " also by Caygill 

I purchased  " Lightning from the Cockpit" kindle edition - very nice, thanks Wingman5!

I figured autopilot was problem loading Lightning after another complex add on aircraft which obviously mess things up. After restarting P3D everything works. My bad. Sorry for bringing it out

As far as autopilot goes. Well I used to own 1962 C182F with s-tec autopilot (which was newer of course) . The aircraft was 40 years old. Close enough :)

Landing Lightning is challenging, but rewarding. At this stage I'm struggling to keep level attitude. Controls are just too sensitive. I got +/-500 fpm deviation every time. But hey if Lightining pilot who flown it says it's then it's ok. Will try to adjust.  My only wish if I could retrofit GPS inside the cockpit  or at least Ipad with Foreflight :)  

One more question is there any patch to correct afterburner animation in p3D V3?

What is the problem you are having with the reheat ?  there was a general issue with LM's effects drawing undersize but I thought that was fixed Can you attach a screen shot so I can see what is happening.

As for a GPS the Lightning never had the luxury , but  you could use the default GPS as a pop up  if you wanted to .

D

wingman5, can you say more about where is the fix fot undersize LM effects drawing? Thanks

The fix I produced for the Lightnings reheat is attached here

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/99596-more-afterburner-issues-with-fsx/&do=findComment&comment=705243

I do not know where or when LM corrected the problem .

DR

The fix I produced for the Lightnings reheat is attached here

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/99596-more-afterburner-issues-with-fsx/&do=findComment&comment=705243

I do not know where or when LM corrected the problem .

DR

I think it may fix it but where do I copy it as far p3D V3 folder structure goes?

Hello sd_flyer,

Did you manage to resolve the stability issue? I started a thread here: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/101094-i-just-cant-achieve-straight-and-level-flight-with-the-f6/.....obviously not seeing yours before submitting it.

As it says in my thread, I can't keep the F6 stable under ANY wind/turbulence. Unless I select 'clear skies' from within the fs, I'm constantly fighting to keep the bloody thing straight and level. Ha, if the real F6 flew like mine, the pilots wouldn't have got too far before ejecting!

Archived