Feature Request: Automatic Pushback (APB)

There is something really annoying when doing pushback. You never get centered on the taxi line because you never know the exact distance and it is not necessarily exact X meters or X feet. There exists a very simple solution for this for which I'm waiting more than 10 years to be realized. Why not simply using the AFCAD pushback part in order to get Automatic Pushback (APB)? And if there exists more than one pushback track (see screenshot below), then the correct pushback track is also selected automatic in dependence of the defined takeoff runway in the MCDU. In this way no manual settings have to be done any more and you will always get a realistic pushback after which you will always be centered on the taxi line.

Please forward the idea to the developers. Thank you in advance.

Here is the idea explained with a screenshot:

Please login to display this image.

Does GSX know and takes the correct pushback track defined in the AFCAD and will you be centered on the taxi line after pushback? Can someone explain how GSX works concerning the pushback track? On their homepage there is no explanation about this.

And for aircraft not having a MCDU:

If there is no defined takeoff runway in order to select the correct pushback track automatic because the aircraft has no MCDU or has no possibility in defining the takeoff runway, then the takeoff runway is selected in dependence of the wind direction for choosing the correct pushback track.

Does GSX know and takes the correct pushback track defined in the AFCAD and will you be centered on the taxi line after pushback?

It does exactly that, everything is based on the AFCAD so it works with every airport. Download and install it, a comprehensive manual is included and you can try it before buying.

The GSX controls are accessed via a separate window like the FSX-ATC, using CTRL+F12, you have to select the pushback direction on your own, it does NOT know the active runway.

I use AES

That now works for every airport with 1 payment only? Tell me more...

But where can I see the pushback tracks?

It will push you on the existing taxiway, asking you for nose left/right. You can set special pushback nodes for special positions, check the GSX manual for that.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I am not the programmer of AES/GSX, but for me it is pretty obvious that the track is simply calculated on the fly (getting from A to B on a half circle is not too complicated to calculate) ;)

My request was that the Aerosoft Airbus Series also uses in the future the AFCAD to do correct and automatic pushbacks. Where is the problem in not implementing this feature?

I am not the programmer of AES/GSX, but for me it is pretty obvious that the track is simply calculated on the fly (getting from A to B on a half circle is not too complicated to calculate) ;)

But where is A und B in the picture or how can I find it? There must be a defined point where the pushback turn starts and where it ends.

• Deputy Sheriffs

My request was that the Aerosoft Airbus Series also uses in the future the AFCAD to do correct and automatic pushbacks. Where is the problem in not implementing this feature?

Keep in mind that AS buses have a moderate price. This limits at some point the number of features that can be added.

But where is A und B in the picture or how can I find it? There must be a defined point where the pushback turn starts and where it ends.

That is up to the pushback truck driver. He decides that from the size of the plane and his experience. For a software solution like AES or GSX this is up to the programmer.

I don't understand why this is up to the programmer and not defined in the AFCAD, at least not in this one. In my opinion the pushback tracks for every gate should be defined in the AFCAD.

You said: "getting from A to B on a half circle is not too complicated to calculate".

If it is not complicated why then the Airbus pushback function does not do it from the AFCAD and performs an automatic pushback? I don't understand: If it is so easy why then the feature is not included?

If it is not complicated why then the Airbus pushback function does not do it

It takes an extra add on like GSX (or AES even if that works completely AFCAD independent) to do a pushback on the taxiway. There is NO single aircraft add-on on the market that reads AFCAD files for pushback, that might be an indicator for something. ;)

I don't understand why this is up to the programmer and not defined in the AFCAD, at least not in this one. In my opinion the pushback tracks for every gate should be defined in the AFCAD.

You said: "getting from A to B on a half circle is not too complicated to calculate".

If it is not complicated why then the Airbus pushback function does not do it from the AFCAD and performs an automatic pushback? I don't understand: If it is so easy why then the feature is not included?

There are several reasons with the some of them being:

• Getting from A to B on a half circle is easy, but many airports don't do this. EDDL for example is such an airport where from most A, B and C positions you are pushed onto P4 taxiway.
  • ATC may ask you to push differently
  • Not always there is just one taxiway you may be pushed on in real life
  • There are already two addons out there which offer pushbackservices, namely AES and GSX. GSX also only got a simplified pushback though which may differ a lot from the actual pushback in real life unless you set it manually yourself for each parking position on each airport! Even then it often can cause strange pushing directions caused by the AFCADs.
  • It is simply out of the scope of an aircraft addon to model everything somebody may judge important, but most other customers do not.
  • And last but not least this even though this is a mid priced product even higher priced products (like PMDG aircraft) only include the same pushback functionality as our Airbus

Archived