Pitch auto-trim

admiralaspen

Hello!

After doing some circuits with the airbus I must say that the pitch auto-trim is not working when flying manually. If one reads the Airbus FCOMs it clearly states that if you enter a turn of less than 33 degrees you should maintain the flight path, i.e. maintain level flight if that is what you were doing when initiating the turn. For me the nose drops when initiating a turn without any pitch input, which shouldn't be needed, and the aircraft never catches up with any pitch up trim.

This is also true for change of speed in level flight. But when I try to change speed from let's say 280kts at FL250, down to 220kts I get a pitch down. Why isn't the aircraft trimming up?

Info:
Simulator: P3D v2.5

I've tried setting my controls through bouth FSUIPC and Prepar3D standard input config.

Anyone with some enlightment on this issue?

Hello!

After doing some circuits with the airbus I must say that the pitch auto-trim is not working when flying manually. If one reads the Airbus FCOMs it clearly states that if you enter a turn of less than 33 degrees you should maintain the flight path, i.e. maintain level flight if that is what you were doing when initiating the turn. For me the nose drops when initiating a turn without any pitch input, which shouldn't be needed, and the aircraft never catches up with any pitch up trim.

This is also true for change of speed in level flight. But when I try to change speed from let's say 280kts at FL250, down to 220kts I get a pitch down. Why isn't the aircraft trimming up?

Info:
Simulator: P3D v2.5

I've tried setting my controls through bouth FSUIPC and Prepar3D standard input config.

Anyone with some enlightment on this issue?

To add info on the issue, this is how my Airbus behaves:

youtube

• Deputy Sheriffs

It is an urban myth that the Airbus does turns and maintains altitude without a nose up command by the pilot. Just like a normal plane you have to pitch up/increase the pitch attitude to maintain altitude. As soon as the pitch/AoA is sufficient for level flight in the turn you can let go of the stick.

Well, the truth lies exactly in the middle between the flight path hold from the FCOM and the Aerosoft A320s pitch hold. 

The Aerosoft A320 maintains only the present pitch which is incorrect.

The RW A320 definitely increases the pitch attitude in a turn or when decreasing speed, but not to 100%.

I've done numerous test in the real A320 and the real Level-D sim. The A320s automatic pitch increase/decrease is a very nice feature which makes hand flying it a nice experience.

The automatic pitch change is part of the FBW normal law and that's a different feature than the auto pitch trim.

With the present pitch hold only function the Aerosoft Version is definitey less realistic and less enjoyable to fly than the real one.   

As mentioned in the SP4 thread, I really hope that the normal law simulation will be more realistic in this area.

Thank you, pitch trim is indeed wrong on my part. It's pitch increase/decrease.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The RW A320 definitely increases the pitch attitude in a turn or when decreasing speed, but not to 100%.

Just to clarify here, --- means when established in the turn. Not when turning in. 

Just to clarify here, --- means when established in the turn. Not when turning in. 

Outtake form the A320 FCOM:

"Operational Recommendation:
During a normal turn (bank angle less than 33 degrees), in level flight:

* The PF moves the sidestick laterally
* NOT necessary to make pitch correction"

How am I to interpret that part of the FCOM? As I read it, if you enter the turn in level flight you do not need to make any pitch correction. Or am I reading it all wrong?

• Deputy Sheriffs

First of, level flight does not mean wings level.

Do remember we are talking about a french company here that makes FCOM's in english that have some very interesting language screw ups. But that is besides the point here. When my TR class was in ground school we read exactly the same passage and we all thought it must be like you interpret it. We even told the SFI he was wrong by pointing to the FCOM. How foolish we looked after our first sim flight. 

I stand fully behind the comments made by ---, he is after all like me an RW Airbus pilot and knows his FDE. But talking about the Airbus FBW can be difficult and many times people mean the same but it comes out differently. Look at PMDG, they did not even model it correctly with the T7 and had Boeing themselves as a reference. The AS Airbus has a better FBW in the latest beta, that is also planned for SP4, but being an 50 Euro FSX product it will never be exactly the same as an RW Airbus.

First of, level flight does not mean wings level.

Do remember we are talking about a french company here that makes FCOM's in english that have some very interesting language screw ups. But that is besides the point here. When my TR class was in ground school we read exactly the same passage and we all thought it must be like you interpret it. We even told the SFI he was wrong by pointing to the FCOM. How foolish we looked after our first sim flight. 

I stand fully behind the comments made by ---, he is after all like me an RW Airbus pilot and knows his FDE. But talking about the Airbus FBW can be difficult and many times people mean the same but it comes out differently. Look at PMDG, they did not even model it correctly with the T7 and had Boeing themselves as a reference. The AS Airbus has a better FBW in the latest beta, that is also planned for SP4, but being an 50 Euro product it will never be exactly the same as an RW Airbus.

Thank you for the answers! I actually forgot that we had to do with french technicians writing english documents ;).

And yeah, I remember the T7 FBW issues.

On a side not how does the RW A320 handle config changes?

Archived