Windows 10 Problem with Joystick

• Aerosoft

It is unfortunately a well documented problem. Waiting for Saitek to release new drivers. Seemed to have started in one of the last builds of Win10.

See for example: https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/34qhcu/x55_not_functioning_correctly_in_last_windows_10/

Hey Mathijs,

many thanks for your reply.

I just received a reply from Pete Dowson. 

He told me, that there is a problem with the Joystick IDs in the Registry. 

I have changed the IDs and it is working now.

Regards

Alexander

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, it looks like this issue is touching all types of joysticks. My HP ENVY m7 Notebook/tablet PC had the same problem. I am using a ThrustMaster T-Flight Stick X. It always functioned with my PC while I had not had it upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10. Then my USB ports power went from 2.0 to 3.0 and that is what the problem is. my joystick can only work on a 2.0 port capacity. I recently downloaded a driver updater from ThurstMaster, meant for windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP. here is the link to the download: http://www.driverguide.com/driver/company/Thrustmaster/index.html it's on the upper right side of the screen. Buy the license for about 39 USD, then try and see if it works out.

I have not bought the license for now, so I cannot say more about any further experience. and I left my stick in Europe out of frustration. Soon, I'll have it and will buy the license in February 2017 to see how far that goes in solving the issue.

Good luck and please share your experiences with us. They could help us a lot, we simmers.

• Aerosoft

I have never seen a USB 2 addon that won't work on USB3, it should be 100% backwards compatible. A paid license for a driver also sounds really strange. And the issues with Win10 were solved around April with a new update. All in all it sounds all rather strange. I have never installed any joystickdriver as they all suck massively in my opinion and because for FS they are just not needed. The WIN10 drivers are all you need.

I suggest you delete all drivers, plug in the joystick and start FS, there really should be no reason it would not work.

22 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I have never seen a USB 2 addon that won't work on USB3, it should be 100% backwards compatible.

No sir, Saitek for sure. We've seen this with at least different computers and controller setups. Saitek controllers will register with USB 3.0, but will time out.

It's actually pretty well known that while USB 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible, it doesn't work correctly.  It's a timing issue.

8 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

That said, my Saiteks X52 and X55 are all plugged into USB3 ports.

Yes sir, I certainly believe that.  Some people have certainly been able to do this, while others haven't.  I suspect those who don't suffer from this problem have a high end power supply that is rated to provide equal to or greater than 200 watts of power over what their computer demands at peak operations. The clean, constant, level power is beneficial to systems in many ways -  though computer manufactures and home builders alike often avoid the better power supplies due to cost.

I worked with Saitek tech support back in (I think) 2011, who in turn spoke to design guys about this problem. Ruling out USB Lower Power State Management (which often fails to wake up dormant devices when they are ready to be used on even the best systems and thus it is recommended this be disabled), it becomes a toss up as to whether this is a straight power issue, or as I believe it's a timing issue (perhaps caused indirectly, or at least influenced by slightly less power than is required for the device).

Regardless of the actual cause, those who do have this problem often have it resolved by changing the device to USB 2.0 and connecting the device directly to a USB port on the computer or a quality, powered USB 2.0 Hub. Saitek tech support has been recommending USB 2.0 for customers suffering from this problem - see Post 6 at THIS LINK, and I've personally seen quite a few people resolve similar issues by using a USB 2.0 Port.  But as you said, there are some who don't suffer from this problem.

Now that Logitech has purchased Saitek, I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see a little better engineering and hardware upgrades (especially potentiometers) in Saitek devices!  In fact, though I don't have any proof, I received a new second Saitek Throttle Quadrant a few months ago (even before Logitech aquired Saitek) and the feel and signal quality of the potentiometers is better than any of the other 4 Saitek throttle quadrants I've used in the past 8 or so years, so somebody has been listening to the community.  I had an interview request in with Logitech shortly after their acquisition of Saitek, and this is a good reminder to renew that request!

• Aerosoft

But let's see thing in perspective, we sold thousands of Saitek devices and in our support database there is not a single instance of this problem. No customer we had ever ran into this issue as far as we know. So let's not scare customers. If you plug a Saitel devices into a USB3 port you can be almost 100% sure that it works. If it does not we'll solve it for the customer.

Archived