Tobus

On to legs 31-40. Who's made it to Lima?

Who made it to Lima?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Have you made it to Lima?

• Yes, now for a steak!
    • No, skipping some legs

These are our legs for the coming weeks:

1, SUMU Montevideo 28-8
2, SAZB Bahia Blanca 4-9
3, SCTE Puerto Montt 11-9
4, SCEL Santiago de Chile 18-9
5, SACO Cordoba 25-9
6, SGAS Asuncion 2-10
7, SLVR Santa Cruz (less challenge) or SLPO Potosi (more challenge) 9-10
8, SPZO Cusco 16-10
9, SPIM Lima 23-10

after Lima a weeks rest. Post your flightstories and pics below and report in the poll when you have reached Lima.

Hi Tobi,

thanks for the route proposal. It's time to go on!:rolleyes:

I would like to bring a minor issue to your attention. My allowance in terms of memory space on this blog server is currently limited to 32MB. A "standard" flight report as I posted for the past legs takes about 3MB. This means for the next flight session past Lima I will not be able to post further reports. Do you see any work arounds on this issue?

I see the following options:

1. Check with Aerosoft regarding a quota increase.
  2. Create "alias logins" e.g. "gazoeller2" and continue posting flight reports
  3. Discontinue our extended illustrated flight reports.:(

In my mind the last option would be really a bad one.

Hi gazoeller,

There is a 4th option: to open an account in a photo-sharing website. You post your screen shots on your account in this website (I use casimages.com), and for each of your uploaded images, this website gives you a series of http single links, including those for use in forums. You then paste the http link on your post on the Aerosoft Forum (a few octets) and NOT the picture (a few Megaoctets) ... The final post on Aerosoft account will be limited to a few hundreds of kilooctets, not megaoctets.

Here what stays my My Attachments page in my Profile, despîte I already posted almost a hundred screen shots.

"You have used 0 B of your 50.8 MB attachment limit. "

casimages.com proposes free accounts or paying accounts, I have an account at 20 euros per year (Pack 10K-12) that allows me to post on it up to 10,000 Mo of images !!! 

Today, I've 888 screen shots posted on it for a disk space of 395 Mo. There are plenty of other websites offering this service!

Good luck Germot! ... and happy landings

Philippe

• Upvote 1

Let me open up the new batch of flights:

After buying a GTX970 I made the jump to P3D and got rid of FSX for good. This of course means that I had to rebuy the PMDG 737. As of now I haven't bought the extension yet, which means I had to switch ot the -800.

Performance increase and better visuals were well worth the money needed to upgrade. Thank god that most of the software is cross-compatible.

2015-8-28_12-48-32-877.thumb.jpg.7b85c122015-8-28_14-15-4-879.thumb.jpg.1429ee532015-8-28_14-22-19-719.thumb.jpg.effa2c7

@ Philippe,
thanks for your advice regarding the 4th option: to open an account in a photo-sharing website. I will check for such a provider.

@ Karsten,
your pictures are looking great, in particular, the third one with the new utopian terminal building of the Montevideo airport. Is this P3D out of the box scenery or did you install addon sceneries for this shot? Really exciting.
This Friday I also concluded the first leg of the new batch SBFL to SUMU. The freeware scenery by Menno C. Robert (FlightSim.com: sumu_fsx_mr.zip) shows the current layout of the airport and the new terminal building, however, quiet naturally not in such a fantastic shape as your screen shot does. In case this is OTB P3D it's really well worth the money needed to upgrade.

Happy landings!

@ Karsten,
your pictures are looking great, in particular, the third one with the new utopian terminal building of the Montevideo airport. Is this P3D out of the box scenery or did you install addon sceneries for this shot? Really exciting.

That looks like the terminal in LatinVFR's Montevideo.  On sale for 1 more day: €11.19 at Simmarket.

I agree Karsten's pictures of his flight are very nice.

That looks like the terminal in LatinVFR's Montevideo.  On sale for 1 more day: €11.19 at Simmarket.

It is indeed the LatinVFR scenery which I got right away when learning of the sale. It does not come with a P3D capable installer, but the Migration Tool helps.

@Gernot: Almost nothing you see in those pictures is out of the box P3D. Not the mesh, not the Landclass, not the terrain graphics, not the environmental graphics, nor the traffic. But all of that could simply be moved over from FSX, so it did not come at additional costs.

Overall I'm happy to have made the switch, although there still remains the 32bit memory limitation. While theoretically being able to max out everything and still get frames in the 20's, I will get OOM's when using add on scenery and aircraft. That's why I had to dial down the Autogen and LOD to the same levels they were in my FSX setup. Still looks better than FSX and gets me better FPS. So I can live with that.

Hi Dale, hi Karsten,

thanks for your quick but unfortunately disillusioning responses. :unsure:
I'm still fascinated by these awsome pictures.

Karsten, reading your post, telling that you upgraded your graphic board and at the same point of time migrated to P3D raised in me the everlasting hope, that there might be the philosopher's stone for nice pictures with little or at least fewer addons. But there remains the old issue, tons of local addons which on the other hand cause OOM messages and system crashes.

Thanks for getting me down to ground again.:rolleyes:

Wish you always happy landings

Gernot

Hi Dale, hi Karsten,

thanks for your quick but unfortunately disillusioning responses. :unsure:
I'm still fascinated by these awsome pictures.

Karsten, reading your post, telling that you upgraded your graphic board and at the same point of time migrated to P3D raised in me the everlasting hope, that there might be the philosopher's stone for nice pictures with little or at least fewer addons. But there remains the old issue, tons of local addons which on the other hand cause OOM messages and system crashes.

Thanks for getting me down to ground again.:rolleyes:

Wish you always happy landings

Gernot

Gernot, I'm playing in my mind with the same question and I decided for myself that I'm going to wait (if possible) for the moment P3D is able to go for 64bit.

Here are my first two legs (the fist one devided in three parts).

First I jumped over to Porto Allegre (SBPA). The flight time had been 0:44 hrs and I obviously didn't check for the weather forecast sufficiently as I got strong headwinds of > 50 knots which sucked from my reserve fuel about 500 kg. As I decided to go visual for Rwy29 I had after turning for the finals an irritating moment (not more) because of the close by military airport SBCO.

2015-08-28_22h0536_AB_zpsnxz07l0t.jpg

Going towards SBPA in the early morning

2015-08-28_22h3304_AB_zpsxaujg7ow.jpg

An airport in the midst of the city. I tried to avoid too much noise...

After a short stop I made the second step to Melo (SUMO) as well and loaded for this reason a ton more than calculated. This leg took me 50 Minutes in air. Flight gear: B738 with winglets (PMDG).

There are no pics from the second leg as the "International Airport" of Melo and its environment looks not too spectacular. I blocked one of the three parking places on the paved part and hope that most simmers dropping by could use the unpaved area.

• Upvote 1

upload26.thumb.jpg.a9ebbf0a06b4ea80490d6

Fuel loaded at SBFL, ready to go.

DEP SBFL 09:41z (06:41 LT). ASN gave me FL200 as most favorable. At took me 15 minues to get there.... facing a 37 kts headwind. It would become a long ride, I thought. After half an hour I saw that there were better winds on lower altitudes. So I descended to FL120 and after that to FL80. Right choice. Headwind now 14 kts. And... more enjoyment watching the scenery pass by. A part from an occasional cumulus it was excellent flying weather.

upload27.thumb.jpg.9907e2a0c742706cf729f

Over Porto Alegre.

The second half of the journey was just a matter of sitting and waiting to get there.

Because the wind was 290, I decided to land on RWY28. Impossible according to my EFB, but who cares. ARR SUMU 13:27z.

upload28.thumb.jpg.f43f52779ddf8027a55c5

P.S.   and here the reason why RWY28 was greyed out in my EFB (source: Google earth)

SUMU.thumb.jpg.d5b2ae7f956c7781d5994f230

Annyway.... it work for me and for the Cessna 404 Titan and it was a bit more challeging. No PAPI, no ILS. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Okay, let's continue the trip. I tried to escape my self-made flight to nowhere (SUMO) to Montevideo and later, just by crossing a little river (the Rio de La Plata), towards Buenos Aires (SAEZ). For both destination airports I bought the still reduced sceneries being offered by SimMarket. Additionally I found this nice site and beautiful freeware sceneries of the whole city area. Therefore I decided not just to continue to Bahia Blanca but to charter a Pilatus Porter in order to have a closer look.

Here is SUMU: 2015-08-29_13h5928_AB_zpsbgxv9jzb.jpg and here my escape towards SUMU 2015-08-29_14h2253_AB_zps2glsxgf0.jpg

Reaching Montevideo 2015-08-29_15h3430_AB_zpsdh3vbfvv.jpg       2015-08-29_15h4133_AB_zps8erlm5gq.jpg

Flying over the river to Argentina 2015-08-29_16h4104_AB_zps8oswz5rz.jpg having the runway in sight 2015-08-29_17h4446_AB_zps4b112etv.jpg

A free jetway ahead 2015-08-29_17h5008_AB_zpsr4lsfsg5.jpg

After parking the B738 I took off with the Porter that obviously followed our path from the Caribbean Islands to here. I think our Summer Break was helpful to catch up. Here are some pictures from the flight over the city:

2015-08-29_18h2538_AB_zpscgj5smrh.jpg  2015-08-29_18h2646_AB_zps6zpm2nrb.jpg  2015-08-29_18h2950_AB_zpsnmdlprhu.jpg  2015-08-29_18h3051_AB_zpsawpmx5tq.jpg

2015-08-29_18h3113_AB_zps6igakrwy.jpg  2015-08-29_18h4840_AB_zpspclvnlkp.jpg  back again...

I really love the details of this scenery. However, you need to install "SABE-X" from the same site, too. Otherwise you might miss something. By the way, somebody wrote in this forum that he avoids freeware. At least some examples here from the southern Americas have a remarkable high quality and those might even challenge payware sceneries. Don't miss the link in the first paragraph!

• Upvote 1

Let me open up the new batch of flights:

After buying a GTX970 I made the jump to P3D and got rid of FSX for good. This of course means that I had to rebuy the PMDG 737.

Well, I do have a lot of PMDG birds in my hangar and this is one reason I'm hesitating to switch over. I would understand a well reduced upgrade price but asking for the full money again made me thinking... I have severe doubts that they needed a lot of code changes as both SDKs are not that much different - even if those guys programmed around the FSX limitations and produced their own complete module being rather independent of the main application somehow. That's why I believe that they are first thinking on business and only at the second place customer oriented.

My present purchasing policy is just to look after compatibility for FSX and P3D for all products.

• Upvote 1

I would understand a well reduced upgrade price but asking for the full money again made me thinking... I have severe doubts that they needed a lot of code changes as both SDKs are not that much different - even if those guys programmed around the FSX limitations and produced their own complete module being rather independent of the main application somehow. That's why I believe that they are first thinking on business and only at the second place customer oriented.

I would have preferred that option as well: Existing customers pay an upgrade fee. But one has to understand that their special quality comes from a partnership with Boeing, which forces them to pay close attention to licensing. And since P3D is officially not an entertainment product (despite the fact that it can be easily used as one) they had to iron out new deals with their partners. 

I wish it were different, and I will be thinking long about whether I want to get the 777's again under these conditions, but I just can't do without the NGX's in my daily sim routines.

SBFL-SUMU leg31

(FPL-TSO070-IS
-1/B772/H-SDRWY/S
-SBFL1553
-M080F360 EGBIP UN857 MLO UM792 TELAK
-SUMU0030 SULS 
-AEROSOFT LEG31)

Flightplan sent at 2015-08-29 16:06:01

2015-8-29_19-3-16-214.JPG

2015-8-29_19-10-37-685.JPG

2015-8-29_20-42-37-710.JPG

2015-8-30_10-51-38-499.JPG

• Upvote 1

I would have preferred that option as well: Existing customers pay an upgrade fee. But one has to understand that their special quality comes from a partnership with Boeing, which forces them to pay close attention to licensing. And since P3D is officially not an entertainment product (despite the fact that it can be easily used as one) they had to iron out new deals with their partners. 

I wish it were different, and I will be thinking long about whether I want to get the 777's again under these conditions, but I just can't do without the NGX's in my daily sim routines.

Actually, as far as I can recall they do have already a special partnership with Boeing, even on a commercial base. I might be wrong, however, my next step will be a hardware upgrade latest in early spring before probably switching over to Win 10. As long as the 4 GB memory restriction exists my interest to switch over is limited anyway.

Well, I do have a lot of PMDG birds in my hangar and this is one reason I'm hesitating to switch over. I would understand a well reduced upgrade price but asking for the full money again made me thinking... I have severe doubts that they needed a lot of code changes as both SDKs are not that much different - even if those guys programmed around the FSX limitations and produced their own complete module being rather independent of the main application somehow. That's why I believe that they are first thinking on business and only at the second place customer oriented.

My present purchasing policy is just to look after compatibility for FSX and P3D for all products.

Exactly my way of thinking. I'll probably go from boxed to Steam Edition, since that seems to be more stable and smooth, but P3D is off for me, considering the added costs for only prettier pictures.

• Upvote 1

Hello all Captains and merry pilots,

Next leg report.

Leg 31 completed

SBFL-SUMU

From Portuguese speaking to spanish speaking

Saturday August 29th, 1 PM, at gate Papa-2 at Florianopolis-Hercilio Luiz airport. It’s time to resumes World Tour flights, this day to Montevideo. We spent this week in this magnificent Brazilian island. Florianopolis is a city known throughout all Brazil for its quality of life and its interesting food. There are 42 beaches at Florianopolis, in particular the Praia Joaquina where I tried (badly!) some sandboard (surfing on sand, not on sea).  We had some fun at night in the Centro and at the Na Barra da Lagoa, a funny place.  We ate some excellent “rodizio de churrasco” (BBQ: eat as much as you can), and the great “pastel frango catupiri” (fritters of chicken and cottage cheese inside). Great time there for sure!

15090109080210968213548227.jpg

Takingoff from runway 14, climbing at 12,000. METAR at SBFL says CAVOK! Turning to take a southward route. View of the straight between the continent  (and São Jose city) and the Santa Catarina island (and Florianopolis ). The Baia Sul is on our immediate right, the Baia Norte is seen in the background. The beach is Praia do Campeche, a spot for kyte surf, the water is a bit cold though.

15090109080310968213548228.jpg

A view of the island from its south side at 6200 feet. The view shows the different peaks of the northern part of the island, the Lagoa de Conceiçao, and the airport. Just behind us is the Lagoa do Peri. The south part of the island is rather not inhabited.

15090109080310968213548229.jpg

Climbing to FL300, passing FL290. View of the city of Tubarao and a series of lagunas, the Lagoa de Imarui on left and the Lagoa Jaguaruna on right.

15090109080410968213548230.jpg

From FL330, climbing to FL380, we are at the verticale of the city of Criciuma. We are at some 100 nautical miles south of Florianopolis.

15090109080410968213548231.jpg

At our cruising altitude (FL380), we have a nice view over the mong seris of lagunas, from the Lagioa do Sombrio (the dark laguna, its waters are dark blue), down to the Lagoa dos Quadros some 80 nautical miles away. The Lagoa Guaiba can be seen in the background, there sits Porto Alegre.

15090109080510968213548232.jpg

View of the west part of Porto Alegre from FL380, its full name being Nossa Senhora da Madre de Deus de Porto Alegre. The Rio Jacui, that curves inside the west part of the city, and its mouth, punctuated with islands, on the Lagoa Guaiba, islans of flowers (Ilha das Flores, the biggest one), of painting (Ilha da Pintada) … Two airports can be seen within the city, on left the Canaos Air Force base and, on right, the International airport Salgado Filho.

15090109080510968213548233.jpg

From FL380, the view of the Rio Yaguaron that marks the border between Uruguay and Brazil.

15090109080610968213548234.jpg

Passing FL360 and descending to FL240, we are at 110 nautical miles of our destination. The body of water is an artificial lake with a quite strange name: the Embalse de la India Muerta: the (artificial) lake of the dead indian woman.

15090109080710968213548235.jpg

Long finale for runway 24 at Montevideo airport. Some hills in the west. A lots of cultivated fields.

15090109080710968213548236.jpg

A few seconds before touchdown at Rwy 24, SUMU.

15090109080810968213548237.jpg

LatinVFR scenery Montevideo Carrasco International SUMU FSX

Taxiing to the gate with a view on the new terminal.

15090109080010968213548223.jpg

Taxiing to the gate with a view of the old terminal of Montevideo-Carrasco airport. We are sent to gate 1, which is on the far east ramp. The sign “9 to 35” refers to the gates that are located at the new terminal building designed by the Uruguyan architect Rafael Viňoly.

15090109080110968213548224.jpg

At gate 1, Montevideo-Carrasco airport, 2:50 PM after a 1 hour 36 min flight from Florianopolis. We are parked at the extreme south of the southwest ramp quite close to the threshold of Rwy 01, its approach lights can be seen.

15090109080110968213548225.jpg

SBFL-SUMU

Date                     29.08.2015

Call Sign              Five-Lima-Juliet

Aircraft                Learjet 24B

ROUTE               SBFL-IODIN-CRY-ELATE-ABOC-ABELA-AKPOD-SUTR-MOLBI-SUMU

Flight Time         01:36

Cruising              FL380

Average TAS      431 kts

Take-off speed   178 kts

Landing speed   94 kts

Landing VS        -159 fpm

Off-Block            13:00

Takeoff               13:11                     Rwy 14                

Landing               14:47                    Rwy 24

On-Block             14:49

Distance (Expected/Real) 598/585 NM (direct approach)

Weather Reports

ORIGIN             SBFL 291400Z 36016KT CAVOK 23/15 Q1020

DESTINATION   SUMU 291600Z 31009KT CAVOK 25/13 Q1009 NOSIG

Flight route. Green, planned; Red, actual.

15090109080210968213548226.jpg

Winds at FL380 (Courtesy of windyty.com)

15090109080810968213548238.jpg

That's all folks!

Have great flights and happy landings!

Philippe

• Upvote 1

LEG 31 : SBFL-SUMU
  ONLINE : IVAO
    DATE : 01.09.2015
TAKE OFF : 18:56z
 LANDING : 21:36z
CALLSIGN : DLH478
AIRCRAFT : Lockheed Constellation
   ROUTE : SW W14 POR A309 PTS A305 LITOS LDS
DISTANCE : 615 NM
      FL : 180

leg31.JPG

Landed at SUMU yesterday after a long and dreadfull flight: much turbulence, at one point 68 kts headwind... I chose Black Magic as my paint, but this flight was all voodoo..

collage-2015-09-04.png

SUMU - SAZB (Base Aeronaval Commandante Espora).

I studied the wind charts and they told me: 'the lower, the better'. So I scanned the tracks for minimum save altitude and that told me that 4000 feet would be fine. Only the last sector had a MSA of 5000 feet, but that could very well be north of my track. Annyway... my TAWS will warn me in time, I thought. Arrived near my Cessna, I saw that 'the shit' was hanging on 1000 feet. Overcast! But given the time of day that might just be a morning fog. So I departed from RWY 06 at 11:55z and found out that 4000 feet was just above the cloud layer.:

upload30.thumb.jpg.0e0ebd9d1c9dddf9471e4

With only a headwind of 4 kts I could make 180 kts groundspeed. Nice. And... just 25 Nm WSW of Montevideo the sky was clear with an occasional cumulus:

upload31.thumb.jpg.5f1694d87a0d014ce6853

But.... on approaching land, I saw that the morning fog was still there. Same story as before. But that did not take long. The further I got, the better the weather.

upload32.thumb.jpg.463200c640cdbd8b419a0

upload33.thumb.jpg.3579d3803629162a06b83

...passing SAZT @ 4000 feet:

upload34.thumb.jpg.580b839988d1e506c8807

It became a bit bumpy the last 100 Nm and the headwind was over 17 kts. No problem for the C404 Titan. Indeed the were no 'mountains' ahead. Just a little echo on the TAWS way up in the north.

I landed RWY24 around 14:30z, which appeared to be some sort of Marine/Navy airbase.

Probably the next legs will be more interesting in terms of scenery passing by. C u next week.

• Upvote 1