PFPX interpolation and Active Sky Next

Hi Guys,

Using PFPX version 1.22.1 with ASN set as the weather source.

Took a two week break from FSX, planned my first flight again yesterday and suddenly PFPX OFP flight times, and winds are way way off.

Example at 51N040W ASN reports 289/59 at FL310 PFPX reports 257/11

This difference is showing at practically every waypoint and the Enroute time in PFPX is showing 30+ minutes longer on a KIAD-OMDB leg versus the actual Enroute time. The average tail wind component reported within PFPX is of course incorrect due to the incorrectly interpolated winds from each waypoint.

I did some research and I came across a very very similar issue that was fixed back in 1.06

The only change I made since flying two weeks ago without issue, is that I updated to ASN SP3. However the changelog shows nothing was changed with the WX snapshot file that PFPX uses to interpolate the winds when using ASN weather. 

http://www.hifisimtech.com/service-pack-3-officially-released/

Also, this thread from a few days ago seems to be of the very same nature as the problem I am having.

Can this be looked into ASAP?

• Deputy Sheriffs

You didn't said it explicitly, but I take from your post, that you are using ASN as weather source within PFPX. 

If, as you said, nothing else than ASN was changed on your system logic dictates that the cause for this problem must be located there, not in PFPX. 

Just because nothing like that was mentioned in the change log of ASN doesn't mean, that nothing has changed there. It can be a simple bug there that made it through beta testing. 

I haven't updated my ASN yet. If you want we can compare our weather files later tonight to see if they are different. 

You didn't said it explicitly, but I take from your post, that you are using ASN as weather source within PFPX. 

If, as you said, nothing else than ASN was changed on your system logic dictates that the cause for this problem must be located there, not in PFPX. 

Just because nothing like that was mentioned in the change log of ASN doesn't mean, that nothing has changed there. It can be a simple bug there that made it through beta testing. 

I haven't updated my ASN yet. If you want we can compare our weather files later tonight to see if they are different. 

Hi Tom,

I added that now to my post to make it clear. 

Also, I just noticed that while I was gone, my PFPX subscription expired. Now I know that unless I want PFPX winds, NAT tracks etc. As long as I use ASN as the weather source PFPX should still interpolate and plan correctly. So in addition to ASN SP3 being different from two weeks ago, my PFPX subscription now being expired is another difference that may somehow play a role.

This thread from a few days ago seems identical to what I am seeing!

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/97797-pfpx-winds-aloft-not-matching-asn/

I would be happy to compare ASN files and PFPX outputs.

I ran another PFPX flight plan, again using ASN as the source. This time using August 21st, 1455z weather.

JANJO

ASN: 287/46

PFPX: 283/38

56N050W

ASN: 309/88

PFPX: 293/39

57N040W

ASN: 309/87

PFPX: 307/28

57N030W

ASN: 310/22

PFPX: 027/008

57N020W

ASN: 248/13

PFPX: 198/32

Something is way off! On this OFP PFPX outputs a Enroute Time 42 minutes longer than actual, as the winds it is planning on are way off.

This could be related to my PFPX subscription being expired now, (it should have no effect on planning when ASN is the source). Maybe there is a bug related to this?

Can anyone from PFPX support chime in?

Please login to display this image.

One thing I would say is that using the PFPX server weather and comparing the winds and temps to my real world flights PFPX weather is bang on, however the tropopause is not.

In theory you should just be able to leave the weather as PFPX server and everything matches up as it's all coming from the same source.

Good morning,

As the forecast for today in Western Europe was quite windy, the test was interesting.

I planned with PFPX and flew with ASN (about one hour between planning and flying).

The charts, either PFPX and RW were giving for FL250 about SW 40 to 80 Kt.

The OFP is left side and the wind in flight right side for a flight between LFPO to LFBD departing 0500 GMT. I choose this flight to have as much as possible the wind facing us. AVG WIND COMP: HD056.

210/070     206/059

217/071     207/058

223/074     210/058

236/071     231/065

236/071     231/072

It is what I consider a perfect match. Airborne planned 01:16 flown 01:14.

Have a nice day,

JP

Good morning,

As the forecast for today in Western Europe was quite windy, the test was interesting.

I planned with PFPX and flew with ASN (about one hour between planning and flying).

The charts, either PFPX and RW were giving for FL250 about SW 40 to 80 Kt.

The OFP is left side and the wind in flight right side for a flight between LFPO to LFBD departing 0500 GMT. I choose this flight to have as much as possible the wind facing us. AVG WIND COMP: HD056.

210/070     206/059

217/071     207/058

223/074     210/058

236/071     231/065

236/071     231/072

It is what I consider a perfect match. Airborne planned 01:16 flown 01:14.

Have a nice day,

JP

JP,

Do you use ASN as your weather source within PFPX? Or did you plan using the PFPX server?

PFPX says that when your subscription expires, you will use function of their weather, NAT tracks etc. (No complaints there). However if you use a outside weather source for planning, it will be business as usual.

The problem is that ever since my license expired, PFPX is no longer reading the ASN weather correctly. In fact as you can see from my previous post they are way way off. This has literally rendered my PFPX useless and I am still waiting on any official word from flightsimsoft support (yes I submitted a ticket two days ago, and no I have not heard anything yet).

I really hope someone can  look into this, my only guess at this point is that there is a bug within 1.22.1 that renders the ASN weather injection useless when the PFPX subscription expires (Which should not be the case, accorind to flightsimsofts description of the product).

Hi,

I plan with PFPX and fly with ASN. I just did another flight just now with the Majestic Q400. LFSB LFRS planned 01:42. Flight time 01:38.Planned fuel from brake release to taxiway exit 1449 Kg real 1452 Kg. Winds planned with PFPX and flown with ASN as good as real. PFPX 1.22.

I never use any other weather source for planning than PFPX.

JP

Hi JP, I understood that Calzoni92 is trying to explain that he found problem using ASN as weather source during the PFPX flight planning phase. So it could be useful if you could try to plan using ASN as weather source to check if you find the same difference as him -- Regards Andrea

OK Andrea, I understand what Calzoni means.

I do not have FSX with ASN on the same computer than PFPX so what I did was to transfer the 2 files from ASN to the computer with PFPX.

The two FPLs with PFPX weather engine and ASN weather engine are enclosed and they show nearly the same results but the time of the report of ASN is slightly older than PFPX due to the fact that the files are not updating which, I think, could be a bit of a minor problem.

PFPX weather engine is updating regularly but if you use another weather engine (within PFPX) it is a fix value at the time of the download (same goes with REX and FSGRW).

However, when you fly with ASN as weather engine, it updates regularly within FSX.

If you do not wait too long before planning and flying you should not have a big difference but I think it would be better to use PFPX weather engine within PFPX.

Anyway you would have most of the time differences between planning and winds encountered in flight which is what happens in real life.

Last thing, do not mind the FPL enclosed not complying with CFMU as it is only for example.

Regards,

JP

DRKXXX LFSB-LFRS (25 Aug 2015) ASE.pdf

DRKXXX LFSB-LFRS (25 Aug 2015) PFPX.pdf

Hey all - I have the exact same problem but the issue is with winds at LAT/LON waypoints.  The examples above are not going to demonstrate the issue since they're all using named waypoints.  The issue Calzoni92 is experiencing is with the LAT/LON waypoints.  As you'll note, the winds at JANJO are fairly close (and certainly close enough to allow for time differences).  It's once you get to the LAT/LON waypoints that it all falls apart.  I can provide screenshots later but here's what I experience, since ASN updated to SP3:

PFPX subscription is expired.  I use ASN for my weather source.  I usually fly using historical weather.  Typically I'll start up PFPX first and plan the route, payload, altitudes and speed (I fly RW flights so I fly the route the actual flight took).  I then start up ASN, set the historical time to roughly 30 minutes prior to the flight's pushback.  Once that has downloaded, I update the weather in PFPX.  This is confirmed with METARs, TAFs and whatnot matching the expected time.  Now when I compute, the winds reported for named waypoints are accurate, the winds for the LAT/LON waypoints are not.  I flew KATL-LIPZ the other day and the ETE was nearly an hour off.  The winds inside the sim, using ASN as the source, were accurate and my final ETE was within a few minutes of the RW flight.  The issue seems to be with the LAT/LON waypoints and how ASN reports and PFPX reads wind at those waypoints.  Which side is the issue on?  That's what we need to find out.

• 1 month later...

I just figured out my issue with winds.  If you are using BOTH ASN FSX and ASN P3D.  Make sure you update the Active Sky weather folder location in PFPX Settings.  As I just  found out I was selecting the FSX version and it was using 10 day old weather to compute a flight because ASN FSX was not on to download the current weather.

That make sense?

Please login to display this image.

Archived