La Palma Flickering Textures FSX

DJJose

The scenery looks great but textures flicker & flash.

Simwings is a great developer. I don't have any flashing or flickering textures at the Bolearic Islands X.

I hope that this is something that can be addressed and fixed.

Jose

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

I have the same shimmering and flickering Problems in my P3D2. I use 4x SGSAA via Nvidia Inspector very successfully in all my other Sceneries.

At this time I'm very dissapointed.

I'm looking Forward for some fix or other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Could you post a picture or describe it in greater detail?

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

thank you for bothering.

As you can see on the screenshot, the markings on the Apron and runway are quite awefull. Plus the fences and some object textures are shimmering much more than usual.

EDIT:

Tried now different Settings including 8x SGSSAA via NI. 8x is of course heavy on the GPU and despite it gives some improvement on the Topic, it does NOT eliminate the shimmering down to a Level, I'm used to in my other sceneries...

Please login to display this image.

I only use FTX Global in combination with Ultimate Terrain Europe 2.0. La Palma X is the only scenery with such a bad case of shimmering. I will try some other Settings like "texture Resolution = high instead of medium", maybe there is some potential for improvement...

Hello, 

I have the same problem in P3D v2.5 (latest hotfix) as well. I have installed ORBX FTX Global and OpenLC EU (no Vector). 

Here is a little video about the problem:

The flickering depends on the movement you are doing. Overflying the airport in a low altutude lets the whole airport flickering (not in the video) and that is a bit unfortunate. 

Greetings, Alexander

Hi Alexander,

thank you for your Hands up!

I'm surprised your Apron markings do not shimmer as bad as mine. The flickering however is well noticeable in your Video. Would you mind giving me your LCD-Monitor / Ingame / NVI specs?

Mine are: 1980x1020 (nativ) / 4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA via NVI / 8x Anisotropic / Texture Resolution 1024 (Medium) / Tesselation High / NO HDR

I started this thread on the 4th and did not get a response until the 21st. It was a question on whether I'm using DX10. This happens on both dx9 or dx10.

I'm seeing this issue flickering/flashing issue on more newer add-on airports. I have older titles such as Anchorage, Fairbanks, Gibraltar, and Balearic and none shimmer, blink, flash, flicker or whatever this is called.

I come here to ask for help and share my experience and all I get is negative rating points, instead of real support from the developer.

I have about 50 Aerosoft add-ons and I've only had a few issues. I'm sorry if it seems that all I do is complain.

This is a legit issue that lead to a quick uninstall of La Palma and money wasted.

Hi Alexander,

thank you for your Hands up!

I'm surprised your Apron markings do not shimmer as bad as mine. The flickering however is well noticeable in your Video. Would you mind giving me your LCD-Monitor / Ingame / NVI specs?

Mine are: 1980x1020 (nativ) / 4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA via NVI / 8x Anisotropic / Texture Resolution 1024 (Medium) / Tesselation High / NO HDR

The airport markings flicker when flying in low altitude above the airport. 

Hope the attached pictures will help a bit. 

Hi Alexander,

thank you for your pretty detailed response! 

I use the vast majority of your settings by manually tweaking the p3d.cfg.  After some testing I found out that a higher texture resolution does not improve flickering/shimmering. 

The flickering in your video might come from your demanding "ground shadow texture size" setting. Maybe it's worth a try to disable it for testing. There is a thread about it in the LM forums. Unfortunately I don't remember the title, since it is quite a while ago. However it's the only major difference to my personal settings and I have almost no flickering, only bad shimmering of lines, fences and so on.

Good luck!

Now I found the LM Thread about flickering/shimmering issues.

This is the recommendation of Rob Ainscough, a LM Forum Moderator:

[...but I can provide info relative to flickering ground textures and some things you might want to check:

1. Uncheck SimObject shadows (cast and receive)
2. Uncheck NoShadow Flagged Content
3. If you use EZDOK check clipmode (should be normal in cameras.cfg)
4. Make sure your scenery library order is correct (I usually place 3rd party airports up towards the top)
5. Check you don't have duplicate AFCAD files - can use this utility (http://www.scruffyduck.org/simple-airport-scanner/4584282795)
6. Adjust Mesh resolution settings (I like 5m to 1m, but sometimes 1m can cause issues) to see if that makes a difference
7. If it's a z-fighting issue then might require require updates from 3rd party provide
8. Delete your shaders folder (i.e. C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders)...]

So this is my question to number 7:

Is it a z-fighting issue of the La Palma X scenery itself and can it be fixed by the devs?

• 3 months later...

Has this flickering issue been addressed and fixed by the developer? I see that an update was released, but it is not available at PCAviator.com.

FSX Simmer

Archived