Need Help With ILS Settings for EHSI

balis323

Just starting to FAM with this bird… I have seen Video online for ACLS APCHs where the HSI appears to be in TACAN mode and not the ILS mode… i.e. it appears that on a ACLS APCH you have DME and LOC on the HSI and the VDI has the ILS needles… kind of what I expect to see on a traditional ILS…

** I haven’t tried this myself yet… just watching YouTube videos… I wanted to try to figure out normal ILS let downs to an airport before trying my hand around the boat.

But when you shoot an approach to a land base and enter the ILS FRQ and select the HSI mode for ILS there is nothing there except a compass rose and no LOC/DME… thank GOD I can hit “H” to get a B-Model Sparrow HUD… that at least has the DME for the ILS…

Is this true to the F-14??? Seems kind of strange… do I have the switchology messed up?

Its hard to believe that you would lose all that data… and that it wouldn’t be displayed on the HSI. So an "A" model flying an ILS would lose DME and important data on the HSI during an approach ?

Balis,

I have partial answers for you, but let me confer with the developer who wrote those systems so I can get you the best answer.

Just confirmed on the "A" as well. No land-based ILS info on the HSD. You can still get DME if equipped by using the BDHI to the right of your VDI. I'll try to confirm this in the NATOPS, but to me it would make sense to have the LOC with a selected course in the HSD.

Archived