Which PC performance is needed for complex addon scenery

I'm wondering which PC froogle is using as he uses complex sceneries and his PC never crashes ?

I was so disappointed in running FSX (and crashing) that I bought a completely new PC only for FSX, no other programs installed.

PC / W8 with latest Nvdia- good processor - 8GB RAM and Solid state HDD

With complex scenery running, only 50% of RAM is used now, so PC has good performance.

Highmemfix is OK TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD = 999

Unfortunately, PC is crashing at 60% of the flights - screen just freezes and you have to reset FSX

Still very disappointing , specially after buying a (1400 Euro) brand new heavy PC, only for FSX use

Maybe a link on this forum that suggests the best settings in cfg - scenery settings - etc ... ?

There are many factors that determine how a PC will run, so please tell us your exact specs and show us screenshots of your FSX settings.

One thing I can tell for sure already:
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=999 is wrong!

It has to be either 1024, 2048 or 4096.

Due to the nature how it's been programmed FSX can use a maximum of 4GB RAM, so any more RAM you got can only be used by your system. 8GB is a good value though because your computer then has some reservers for the system, other programs, etc.

• Aerosoft

and we STRONGLY advise no other tweaks to the cfg than the highmem one. Your 999 setting is a great example why other tweaks often do more harm than good.

There ARE no shortcuts, there ARE no magic settings. Almost every tweak I know has side effects. Some increase memory load (considerable sometimes), some make FSX less stable because they cut corners, some make FSX faster by making FSX run more sloppy (in graphics).

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm wondering which PC froogle is using as he uses complex sceneries and his PC never crashes ?

I was so disappointed in running FSX (and crashing) that I bought a completely new PC only for FSX, no other programs installed.

PC / W8 with latest Nvdia- good processor - 8GB RAM and Solid state HDD

With complex scenery running, only 50% of RAM is used now, so PC has good performance.

Highmemfix is OK TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD = 999

Unfortunately, PC is crashing at 60% of the flights - screen just freezes and you have to reset FSX

Still very disappointing , specially after buying a (1400 Euro) brand new heavy PC, only for FSX use

Maybe a link on this forum that suggests the best settings in cfg - scenery settings - etc ... ?

As Emi said, please give the specific specs to your PC.

As Mathijs said, tweaks can make FSX perform worse but if you wanna try it out you can look at this, and read the desciption in the video

And you might wanna use google as well to look for forum discussions on tweaking.

For example: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/393670-venetubo-still-good/

There are many many topics on all of this.

• Aerosoft

But always do some serious tests (with AVERAGE fps, not peak) before and after the change. When I used the Venetubo tweaks I had an increase of about 2% but loads of graphics issues (popping up objects, late loading of things, very unstable fps (our bus hates that of course) etc, all expected of course because that's how most tweaks actually manage to make FS faster).

I have read hundreds of messages about miracle tweaks, but very very few with actual details and evidence. A lot of snake oil and wishful thinking.

Archived