Panel Serialization

aerospace-engineer

I want to get an answer from the DEVELOPERS concerning the option panel serialization. I have searched all the documentation files for the word serialization to get an answer for my question. But no serialization could be found.

I want to know if this option must be checked or not and I also want to know in detail WHY the option must be checked or not.

Could you also add your answer to the documentation? Perhabs in a new section "P3D Settings". This section is also missing in your documentation.

Please only answer if you are a DEVELOPER. Thank you in advance.

I don't understand what you mean. I didn't want to put a tone in this message. I'm simply trying to get an answer for a question which is not officially answered and even gave a suggestion. Not more and not less. I don't like it when people believe things which are not said or written. That leads to misunderstandings. Thank you for your answer but not very helpful. That was exactly which I wanted to avoid.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I don't understand what you mean. I didn't want to put a tone in this message. I'm simply trying to get an answer for a question which is not officially answered and even gave a suggestion. Not more and not less. I don't like it when people believe things which are not said or written. That leads to misunderstandings. Thank you for your answer but not very helpful. That was exactly which I wanted to avoid.

Than I suggest you don't use capslock in your question as it tends to make a written message come across in a way that you are trying to avoid.

I have used capslock to underline that I am really interested in getting information from the developers. The capslock were used for the other users to be so kind in not answering my question.

You mean like this? With bold text like you usually do to underline something you find is important.

Back on topic, I would suggest asking this question in the P3D forum since it is a feature in their simulator. Also 5 seconds of google gave me this: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_started/options/simulation/general_simulation_settings.html

And to quote if you can't find it:

Panel Serialization

You have the option of saving the panel configuration on your aircraft. This creates a .pnl file that saves with your flight.

To save the panel configuration
  1. In the General Settings dialog box, select the Panel Serialization check box.
  2. Click OK.

And to help you from my personal point of view, do not enable Panel Serialization for any complex addon. I tried it with PMDGs NGX and it messed up the "Auto configuration" that runs when you load it up.

Same way it messed with my Airbus upon loading it, also I don't see the point of using it since you got the same functionality in the product itself.

I didn't use bold text because I found it faster to use capitals. Thank you for your information so far but these information are not new for me. That's why I wrote that I want to understand this feature in detail in respect to Aerosoft Airbus. I think the necessity of this option depends of the design of the add-on. And that's why I didn't go to P3D and will continue waiting for an answer of a developer who can explain us the option in detail in relation to the Airbus and WHY it should/could be used or not.

I didn't use bold text because I found it faster to use capitals. Thank you for your information so far but these information are not new for me. That's why I wrote that I want to understand this feature in detail in respect to Aerosoft Airbus. I think the necessity of this option depends of the design of the add-on. And that's why I didn't go to P3D and will continue waiting for an answer of a developer who can explain us the option in detail in relation to the Airbus and WHY it should/could be used or not.

I still don't understand the obsession about this option? You have this feature in the Airbus (Right MCDU), where you have presets for panel states and the ability for a user state. Like I said I only had trouble using the option with my 3rd party addons.

I don't understand why it is an obsession if a user wants to understand an option and not only understand in the way: You have to deactivate this option otherwise it won't work. If you really understood the option you would know why you had trouble. And as I assume that this can only be answered by the developers I'm addressing my question to them and would be very pleased of receiving an explanation in detail.

I don't understand why it is an obsession if a user wants to understand an option and not only understand in the way: You have to deactivate this option otherwise it won't work. If you really understood the option you would know why you had trouble. And as I assume that this can only be answered by the developers I'm addressing my question to them and would be very pleased of receiving an explanation in detail.

Hey dude I've had it with your tone towards everyone on this forum, go look on your profile and specifically your reputation. Then rethink why you got such a rating.

I know exactly why I don't use the option "Panel Serialization", I told you this in my other post. It does exactly what the option tells you. There are no secret gnomes working behind the scenes.

Just read what the option does: "You have the option of saving the panel configuration on your aircraft."

Does that sound familiar? Where do we have this option? Oh perhaps in the Airbus? The NGX? The 777X? So why do you demand information about a Prepar3D-specific setting on an addon developers forum? This option is already included in most advanced 3rd party addons, use that it works.

I agree that "the developers" can best answer your question, but the developers you need to query are the P3D developers, not the Aerosoft developers. Serialization is a P3D-specific feature, and it's entirely possible that Aerosoft has no more idea than you do as to how that feature works. Why would they? The Airbus has its own built-in panel-state save and load functionality, so there is no need to use serialization with an AS product.

P3D has its own support forum, and I'm sure you would have a much better chance of getting information "in detail" about panel serialization from there - from the developers who actually designed that feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a developer either, so according to you I should better not answer, but anyway...

JRBarretts reply is fully correct, it is a P3D feature that is not used by our Airbus. You can turn it on or off, it doesn't matter (well, you'd get an error when you try to load a saved flight with it on but that is caused by P3D and not by the Airbus).

For more details how it works you should contact Lockheed Martin and ask them.

• 2 weeks later...
@‌admiralaspen: I have not written that you don't know exactly why you don't use the option "Panel Serialization". I have written: If you really understood the option you would know why you had trouble. That is a big difference. I want to know why one get trouble in form of an error message.

"So why do you demand information about a Prepar3D-specific setting on an addon developers Forum?" Because you get an error message when using the Aerosoft Airbus SP3 and this error message is not explained in the delivered documentation of the Aerosoft Airbus SP3.

If the Airbus uses its own save and load functionality why then you get an error message when activating the option "Panel Serialization"? Please have a look on the following post. There I give a detailed explanation for a problem and its solution. And such a kind of detailed explanation I want to get from someone who really understands the Background.

To make it clear: Why one get an error message when using the Aerosoft Airbus SP3 in combination with the activated option "Panel Serialization" although the Aerosoft Airbus SP3 uses its own save and load functionality?

• Deputy Sheriffs

To make it clear: Why one get an error message when using the Aerosoft Airbus SP3 in combination with the activated option "Panel Serialization" although the Aerosoft Airbus SP3 uses its own save and load functionality?

,it is a P3D feature that is not used by our Airbus. You can turn it on or off, it doesn't matter (well, you'd get an error when you try to load a saved flight with it on but that is caused by P3D and not by the Airbus).

For more details how it works you should contact Lockheed Martin and ask them.

You don't need to quote that. This topic is not so long and I have a good memory. Again: If Aerosoft Airbus does not uses this feature why you get an error message? Or with other words: Why it was not possible to develop the Airbus without getting the error message when option is activated although it does not use the option? I'm searching for a detailed explanation in the kind I gave in the mentioned topic about contrails. 

• Emi locked this topic
  • Emi unlocked this topic

Panel Serialization  simply saves the XML gaiges variables (LVars) together with your p3d saved flight files. Its a new feature in P3D and not present in FSX.

As the Airbus have C++ gauges, that option is not very useful as it cant save Left MCDU data, so hence why the Airbus has create a custom save/load function in the first place.

Any errors you get related to this function will happen with other aircraft (and even default) as well, as the Airbus do nothing to prevent P3D from saving/loading its own variables. 

With this, the topic is closed. 

• Emi locked this topic

Archived