Decent rate, Airbus 318 319 320 321

snmarkham

Can someone help with this please. I reach TD but the rate of decent -350 never seems enough to get to the target FL. I have to set a manual VS of -1800 to -2000 to get anywhere near the target set in MCDU. This, of course increases speed and usually makes it impossible to maintain speed and FlL to make an ILS approach. Am I doing something wrong when setting up the Flight Plan? Thanks.

So even when the plane is setup with auto pilot and auto thrust, you have to set a manual vs to match the DR to get to your target FL, right? Or is your stock answer, "read the step by step"!

The best way and the only way to fully understand the workings of Fly by Wire is yes to the above.

If you do the tutorial flight it teaches you all, then it's up to you to improve on it, like learning all things new.

I did not have a clue how to do things until I did the tutorial.

Trying to second guess will lead to your downfall and you will miss out on a great sim aircraft..

It is a totally different animal to the PMDG, so do not compare with it..

Best of luck.. :big_boss_s:

Edit: So even when the plane is setup with auto pilot and auto thrust, you have to set a manual vs to match the DR to get to your target FL, right? NO

• Deputy Sheriffs

So even when the plane is setup with auto pilot and auto thrust, you have to set a manual vs to match the DR to get to your target FL, right? Or is your stock answer, "read the step by step"!

Yes in your case it is the "stock answer", as you gave no indication (like a detailed description of what you have done) for any other advice.

Thanks Jaydor, at least you answered my question. I now know that my setup of a flight plan has to be redone to facilitate a fully automatic flight. My original question was,, " am I doing something wrong?" Would have been answered with a simple 'yes' , which the other guy failed to do. I can now go away and find what I was doing wrong. Thanks again.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi snmarkham,

You had given practically zero information about how you configured your bus before reaching the TD. Somehow you must have failed to do it properly, otherwise your descent would have worked out just fine.

What do you want the people here to do? Going with you step by step through what you have done to find the problem?

Doing it the way the step by step guide explains will lead to a properly working flight. By comparing what you did with the step by step guide I am sure you will find your mistake rather quickly.

And by the way: a simple answer to you question if you are doing something wrong is YES. No question about that! But that yes doesn't bring you to a solution of your problem. So getting pointed to the step by step guide was a proper solution orientated answer!

So do not complain of getting pointed to the manual. You did somewhere a mistake and it is up to you to find it and to learn from it.

It turns out that I did not make any errors in setting up the MCDU. The Auto Decent only happens after I set the altitude to the Transition Alt and then physically pushing the button in to set it to managed mode, at about 10nm before ToD. My answer is for anyone who might want to know the same thing as I did.

• 4 months later...

Archived