Whither AES?

As a long-time buyer of AES credits, I feel moved to ask the question - what is happening with it?

It's been several months since the last update, and the requests for scenery support continues to grow, yet there has been no annotation in the forum to suggest that 2.39 is either imminent or in the pipeline.

I appreciate that this product has been continually updated for many years and has mostly kept pace with new scenery releases, but I do fear the momentum has dropped off in the last couple of years.

AES is superior in several ways to other similar products, and adds immensely to the simming experience, but if it is going to be discontinued I'd like to know.

Does Aerosoft have a plan for AES? Is the developer still moving forward with it? Should I use my unused credits on older existing sceneries, or is it worth continuing to bank them in expectation of new versions to come for current scenery releases?

Thank you in anticipation of your response.

I really hope it will continue. Oliver have really changed the flightsimming experience since the release of AES years back and in my opinion AES is much much better than GSX.

I also look forward to V2.39 and other upcoming releases.

/Peter

Hi ! It is fully understandable that he development might have slow down after all this years. Changing interests and life matters might have these effects. Also last development concerns (the P3D no no, the new interface) might require more technical developments than a small increment from v 2.3x to v2.3x+1. What would be nice, the day Oliver can't maintain the source code anymore, would be to relicense the project and transfer it. Best regards.

Edition :

O. Pabst said :

I am working on a new way to implement the features of AES with other technologies, but that is a process, where the complete code need to be new developed, that takes time.

The AES software was based on Vistamare engine, but to allow further developments the choice have been made to totaly rewrite the source code, as I understand from the above citation. Years of maintainance and improvement of the original code will be lost, and that's for sure a big big work. So I now don't expect any move for a long time so far.

Archived