Nuuk - Greenland

HB-HFK

It is a good surprise to finally see such a high quality rendition of a Greenlandic airport.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a trend.

Greenland is a great place to fly, notably in poor weather. Besides Kangerlussuaq and Narssasuaq (and Nuuk) there are no significant airports, very basic radio navigation means too which makes "old style" flying in bad weather both challenging and fun. Runways are short and provide a great opportunity to practice STOL skills.

Greenland has always been very poorly represented in FS. I think partly because there is very little information available, notably for the glacial inland part which constitutes most of the island. I would love to see a correct rendition of the spectacular mesh and landclass of Greenland (notably Disko Bay), or at least one that would appear to be a realistic representation in the absence of precise information (notably the inland ice cap / ice desert).

Most human presence is concentrated in the south western coastal part with a few hamlets in the far northwest (including Thuule Air Base) and east coast. There are no connecting coastal or inland roads in Greenland and people have to travel by sea or by helicopter / airplane. Towns are quite few and quite small as you can imagine. Nuuk is a metropolis in comparison. It is a seriously remote part of the world for human beings to live which makes it so unique and interesting to discover. It shouldn't bee too hard to represent the towns accurately as well as the few landing strips and heliports. However, would this be commercially viable?

Your NUUK is very nice. I used to fly over there from Iqaluit in a king air when I flew for an operator based in Iqaluit. As the above post mentioned other Greenland sceneries would definitely be of interest to me.

Dave

Of course!

Thanks Mathijs,

Just to be clear as it appears I did not state my question correctly: If it is purchased via the Aerosoft USA store, will the update appear only there or in both storefronts? I suspect it will only appear in the Aerosoft store.

Dom

Does anyone know if this airport is compatible with Orbx FS global so there is no issues

I have no issues. I use FTX Global and FTX Europe open LC and FTX Vector. It's a great scenery. I hope you enjoy it.

Hi,

I join because I usually fly the far north and Greenland is often part of my flights.

Indeed I hope this area will be further developed, there are wonderful challenging approaches all over the place, Kulusuk, Narsarsuaq, Sisimiut, Ilulissat only to name a few.

Frequent harsh weather conditions help to make it even better to fly to.

There are out there some freeware sceneries for these airports, they are nice, but of course if they would come out with the same quality as Nuuk that would be awesome.

I hope Aerosoft will take into consideration to further develop Greenland!

Gianluca

Archived