Need some input about WX

• Aerosoft

Gents (and the 5 female customers we know about) I got a question. I know it is 23:05 on a Friday evening but that just shows we simply do not have a life. I am considering having a weather radar done as PMDG does (and as our CRJ will have).

Negative:

1. That weather radar will ONLY work with ASN and will ignore any weather by FSX/P3D or made by any other weather tool,
  2. It will not be as accurate as our weather radar as it cannot determine how fronts shade other fronts (it will show a too accurate picture),
  3. It will not use our advanced calculations on how rain accumulates as it drop down) (so top of rain clouds will have light rain and bottom can have very heavy rain).
  4. It will not show the exact weather as your aircraft will experience (our WX just reads what is in FS, nothing else),
  5. Only works with one weather addon that has as far as our guesses go has a 30% market share( uhh that's the same as [1] more or less)

Positive:

• About 15% of our bus users experience low to seriously low FPS with our WX (the actual cause is not known, most of them have ASN)
  • Reading ASN data is simple compared to reading what is actually in FSX. It's easy, foolproof.

Any comments?

Are you saying that the new Wx radar will improve FPS for 15% of users or will all users see a benefit? I'm an ASN user and my FPS are fine right now? And can you clarify that the appearance will change to be similar the one found in PMDG planes?

Thanks

Andrew

Why?

ich schreibe es in deutsch da geht es schneller.

Ich habe die PMDG 737 und ASN im Netzwerk.

Diese beiden Addon finde ich sehr gelungen, es zeigt das es gut funktioniert

Daher sehe ich es als Bereicherung für die Simulation, es macht mehr Spaß.

I have not done any testing yet but i do not turn on the WX radar in fear of FPS loss. FSGRW is what i use for weather and like it very much. So if you went the ASN route i would do without but i would like to use it for the immersion factor that it adds. So simply put, it is not a deal breaker for me to have wx radar over having the aircraft.

Jeff

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, if I may use the opinion I would not vote. and the explanation is simply that we can not all afford to have an add on to part only to have a weather radar. But if the majority votes if my'll agree. Greetings to all

Ismael Armas

i am an asn (& have been of the many previous versions from active sky) user ..... for me it provides one of the better weather depictions of actual metar & aloft data including rain (in real or historic updated time).

that said, i also believe your current radar display is a better depiction of its rain (ie it correlates well with that asn depiction thru the windshield) than the asn exclusive's I've used !!

but then, i eagerly wait to see areosoft's use of asn exclusive in the CRJ .... that may change my opinion.

my vote is thus to postpone my vote till then .... fps is not an issue for me !!

cheers

john

• Deputy Sheriffs

This is my opinion to the WXR:

- the current WXR works well for me with proper FPS (usually around 40, down to 25 in really bad weather at EGLL). I don't want to miss this one because I love it for its accuracy and feature richness (as Mathijs wrote above).

- the user should be able to choose if the current or the ASN only WXR should be used.

- if that is given and the development costs for this are in a reasonable range I would say go for it! 15% of the users are actually quite a lot of users and it would be great to be able to make them happy.

Tom.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that I am using ASN.

I think your WX system is superior as it stands, I suffer no FPS loss with both the WX and terrain on departing LOWI.

But I am only using FSX generated weather with the live update on, with REX for clouds.

I am not a ASN user, so would be penalised if you produce your radar for ASN only..

I will still not buy ASN just to fly your CRJ.. :(

Again it is how FSX is set up; on a system that is not quite tuned to FSX then yes any weather radar with incur a penalty.

Working to improve your WX radar will be a better option than following the route of PMDG..

Also it is usually ASN that is the culprit for the loss of FPS and not the WX radar. Any weather engine reduces FPS.. :goodluck_s:

• Deputy Sheriffs

As a user of ASN and not having any fps problems, for me no need to change a running system.

During all the discussions with users having those problems, it was quite clear that there are a lot of other factors in combination causing such issues. OK, 15% is a number but still a minority, especially when not all of them are using ASN, so finally we are talking about maybe 10%

But if the CRJ-Solution can be ported over to the Airbus with less effort, why not doing it and so pleasing those 10-15%. Although there will hardly be an ROI on this investment.

The current Airbus WX with ASN draws giant cells, painting large areas on the ND, whereas the PMDG-WX in the same situation only shows the actual "precipitation areas" (compared to the view in flightsim and the ASN-Map in "details view").

- the user should be able to choose if the current or the ASN only WXR should be used.

This sounds like a great idea to me. If that is not possible, I'd prefer the ASN-only option (as it seems to be becoming industry standard with PMDG, iFly, FSLabs).

Hi Mathijs,

i am asking myself why are you doing a new weather radar with a huge number of negative points, if you have a wonderful weather radar like that one in the Airbus.

Just your negative point 1 would be a KO criterium for me. Why doeing a weather radar for just one weather system? Ok the majority of the simmer seems to use it, but there are enough people out there not using ASN.

It should be ASN term to build up a weather radar addon exklusive for there product, but not yours - except ASN is paying you for doing it.

Your way doeing a weather radar like that in the Airbus is perfect. It's working with all weather addons and that is right way for a company like Aerosoft.

Aerosoft is "neutral", meens until now, clients never had to buy two products to be able to use one. (ASN + Weatherradar = Weatherradar).

In my (personal) opinion it would be best to have an option to choose between the two systems.

Our radar has the more realistic display than the ASN radar (ASN produces a real display overload which you would hardly see in real life! Also it has far to many red cells compared with other colours which is not very realistic).

On the positive side an fps gain for 15 of the customers would be a good argument.

Those users not having problems with the fps could continue using our system while those having problems could go for the ASN option.
If it's not to expensive integrating an ASN WXR option I'd go for it.

So we have to choose between this two? Actual and new? Best solution is choose which one we want complex or less complex on configurator, actual weather radar is a piece of art, don't remove it.

If there is no option to choose, My vote for NO, that's a downgrade, the actual weather radar is better between that what you want to model.

Those users not having problems with the fps could continue using our system while those having problems could go for the ASN option.

I understood the original post to state it's either ASN weather radar OR the current Aerosoft radar, not an option to choose. Either way, I wouldn't buy the Airbus just because it has or didn't have ASN weather radar. I'm one of the 70% that don't have ASN. (Pilot's FSGRW for the record.)

And how many times have I read in here that changing one thing could have an unforeseen effect on other systems?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

For those who thinks ASN weather radar is very realistic (Note 1: this is my personal opinion and not representative of Aerosoft, Note 2: the follow information below may not be 100% accurate, but should remain largely accurate) :

Let me give a background info on how ASN does precipitation.

ASN has its own interpolation/grid algorithms that determine the weather conditions. Typically, standard weather sim injection cant inject weather grids properly as "grids" (eg proper weather cells etc), instead it has "stations" where an area around it has the weather "description". The keyword is area, as you cant insert a grid, stations in the sim generates the precipitation in a circle area. The sim also has another known limitation of having precipitation outside cloud. ASN tries to overcome this by modifying the current weather on the fly using their hooks (eg like flicking a switch on and off, turning on precipitation when in the cloud, and switching it off when out). Combining their hooks method with the standard sim weather station injection, ASN manages to achieve a decent weather picture.

Now back to the radar, ASN generates the radar picture using a combination of its own grid of probable precipitation with a filter overlay using the sim internal grid of clouds.

WXR_04.jpg
Picture of ifly 737 with ASN WXR.

This sounds alright till you realize that the sim itself do not generate realistic clouds. The sim generates "blobs" of random clouds based on the weather description. Now, because there is no real weather "cells", the picture you get looks like bits of cotton wool torn apart (which for me is very unrealistic) where there is no weather system going on at all.

Now, with all that said, because of the way ASN injects and modify its weather, the radar on ours is not as accurate either. BUT, at least when using standard weather engines or default weather, it works well working with the sim limitations. (eg, we display true precipitation, along with the sim limitation of precipitation above clouds).

In my (personal) opinion it would be best to have an option to choose between the two systems.

Our radar has the more realistic display than the ASN radar (ASN produces a real display overload which you would hardly see in real life! Also it has far to many red cells compared with other colours which is not very realistic).

On the positive side an fps gain for 15 of the customers would be a good argument.

Of course if it is not unreasonable in terms of development / pricing I fully agree with that !

Regards,

Richard Portier

I say no, Im happy with the weather radar with background scanning off it works well and i like the function of it. also i dont really wanna get ASN when ive got AS2012 and have had for a long while.

As a former ASN user I am actually using FSGRW as weather engine and I'm very satisfied with it. I also don't have serious fps-drops with the actual Airbus radar.

So I do not see the need of changing over to a strictly ASN-related wx-radar system. Anyway I could live very well with the option to switch between the PMDG and the AS radar during start up. Why not having the best of both worlds to choose?

Archived