VOR tracking

Till12

But just bear in mind that it is not a traditional radio-navigation. Your VOR (but it could be an NDB or a simple fix) is treated like a waypoint, with an associated couple of geographical coordinates, and hence a GPS-assisted navigation, with the "Radial IN" like a virtual "radial flown inbound". Just a line drawn as for your request from the fix, and that the Bus will try to intercept just heading direct to a INTCPT point from where she will fly DIR TO, as for your routing need. Just for sake of clarity, in case you shouldn't know all of this ...

Cheers

roberto

If you really want to do it by reference to the VOR station:

Enter the VOR frequency/ident in the RAD NAV page, together with the desired radial in/out.

Switch to TRK/FPA mode. Switch the ND to VOR ROSE display.

Intercept the radial, then select the appropriate track in the track (heading) window on the FCU.

The A320 does not have a traditional 'VOR' mode to capture & track a radial, as, for example, the B737 has.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im very disapointed that i can't track a VOR Radial the "tradictional" way. Maybe thats my problem cuz i didnt read the manuals but can someone explain to me how do i performe for instance a VOR DME 34 at LGMK (example) that demands me to cross the VOR 3500 feet intercept R129 and at 6DME turn right to intercept R333 for final? I did this approach flying manualy following the radial but i cant believe tha im not able to do it the traditional way like i can do it in a Cessna or a B737. Sorry in advance if im saying something completely out of normal, im sure that in these forums are people more than expert on the Bus.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well, the real Airbus can not fly VOR radials like a Cessna or Boeing. So you should write Airbus Industries in Toulouse with that complaint. ;)

There are two ways to fly the approach you mentioned: manually like you already said (and we RW Airbus pilots love that option) or if the approach is in the database you could fly it with a combination of AP modes(not so much loved in RL). And thats it. Tracking VOR Radials is just so 1970's nowadays.

Also read the other posts in this thread, I think all is said about the how to....

and we RW Airbus pilots love that option

he/they have to .. a VOR approach must reference the aid not the airac (love manual & the 70's) ?????

cheers john

• Deputy Sheriffs

You cannot couple an AFS mode to the VOR signal in the Airbus. I never said anything about the required reference for an VOR approach, which is the VOR signal itself of course. If the VOR approach is in the database you can fly it as an overlay in NAV mode for example.

If the VOR approach is in the database you can fly it as an overlay in NAV mode for example.

frank

by overlay, do you mean the AP/FD flies NAV mode but the ND is in VOR display ... to confirm integrity against the aid ??

cheers john

• Deputy Sheriffs

frank

by overlay, do you mean the AP/FD flies NAV mode but the ND is in VOR display ... to confirm integrity against the aid ??

cheers john

For example yes. You can just fly the waypoints, that belong to the VOR APP in the database, laterally in NAV mode and confirm the integrity with the VOR signal. Be it in ROSE VOR mode or switching the "needle" to VOR and using another ND format.

Please login to display this image.

How easy it would be to just configure the NAV1 Radio on the VOR Frequency, switch the NAV1 needle to VOR press NAV button and automatically intercepts de VOR. Can`t understand why Airbus have not implemented that old school solution. Anyway thank you very much for the explanations made here by everyone got me a pretty good idea how VOR DME Approaches are done on these aircraft.

The question rather is why should they do this? You simply don't need it anymore. If you really need to follow a VOR just do it with HDG/TRK mode (yes, this requires a little bit of work from the pilot... in the end they need to do something for their money), if the approach is in the database with NAV mode, or simply manually.

Ah well, somehow simmers always want everything to be as highly automated as possible... while things can be so easy in real life lol

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question which might be along these lines. I would like to do touch and goes using an ILS at an airport runway to shoot the approach. What is the best way to set that up if I know the ILS frequency.   

Archived