F-14 Status Update

jcagle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a preview of why it's taking so long to get this out the door. This is a late WIP, before we show the polished version in the preview thread.

In addition to the standard modes of operating, the "T" next to the laser "L" stands for training. So if you want to practice like real pilots did, you can use the training wave-length that doesn't guide ordnance and simulate a bomb drop. Our own little Droste effect (sim within a sim).

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

Did this also involve a rebuilt "B" RIO pit with a PTID? These are awesome and exciting shots, I spend a ton of time looking "through the soda straw" on current Tacpack models that exploit the use of targeting pods given FSX limitations. I understand P3D handles these features 100 times better.

I know it is very unlikely for this update, but is there a chance that in future we could see more air to ground weapons for the F-14? Like the Mk20 Rockeye or GBU-24, etc or even Snakeyes for the existing Mk-82's for lower drop heights? I'd love to see Zuni rockets as well but seeing as there is only one picture of them being fired from an F-14 and a handful more of them mounted on a 101 bird I won't get my hopes up.

It's very unlikely that any new weapons will be implemented. The goal is to flush out what we have in the current model. Without sounding like too much of a drag; I have a PhD to finish and 4 month old baby to care for. Life is calling, and I need to stop working 14 hours a day. It's exhausting when you sacrifice an entire week long vacation, scrape together 100 development hours to implement a system like the LANTIRN, charge nothing for the upgrade, and it's immediately followed by another 50+ hour request.

I'm not trying to sound like a grump; I'm happy to implement the LANTIRN because I think it's a high impact feature that will (hopefully) be widely appreciated.

It's my understanding the Tacpack weapon models are VRS domain, with each developer having to implement them for carriage on their models. I've seen this with a few other beta models that are scheduled to be Tacpacked. The coding to integrate the weapon is up to the developer (HUD modes, symbology).

Just now, Victory103 said:

It's my understanding the Tacpack weapon models are VRS domain, with each developer having to implement them for carriage on their models. I've seen this with a few other beta models that are scheduled to be Tacpacked. The coding to integrate the weapon is up to the developer (HUD modes, symbology).

That is my understanding as well, though I was under the impression that it was simpler to achieve. My understanding of how weapons are implemented in tacpack is based off of digging through the tacpack config files and my experience with ArmA modding where adding weapons to is a simple config change and then the modelers on the team attach the weapon proxies to the aircraft. I had not accounted for the HUD modes and symbology, etc, etc.

Yep, those interpretations are both correct. Half the battle with new featues is how complex this bird has become. Just between the HUD, TID, and LANTIRN displays we have 8 code scripts that total ~13,000 lines of code. It's really tricky to make sure that implementing new features don't bump into and/or break existing ones.

If we could do what VF-154 did, which was basically use GBU-12s properly that would be awesome.
I know GBU-31s are a bit of a stretch since they work a little differently.

That said I've always appreciated how hard you've worked for this

Peter

Hey John, thank you for the time you are spending with the Tomcat!

One question: If VRS make their Superbug + Tackpak P3d v3.1 compatible, will the F-14X work with Tackpak and P3d v3.1 too?

@Star Buck: I've lost five days trying to solve a nasty bug. We're stuck until it's fixed. When it is, we should move things out pretty quickly.

@Sepp: Yes it should OK and we have been testing in that environment. There are probably two issues so far:

- The AB effects are inconsistent in v3.1 compared to v2.5. There was supposedly an issue with effects in v3.0 that was resolved by Lockheed, but it only looks to be partially resolved; e.g. they now look correct, but scale in size with the zoom level.

- As mentioned int he preview forum, when the water settings are "Ultra" you get a rocking carrier deck, but it's a little choppy and will occasionally toss the aircraft into the air and that can cause a crash when it lands back on the deck.

Oh yes, and one other important note.

I wanted to wait until confirmed, and now it is. The extra time needed to flush out the LANTIRN has given one Jonathan Bleeker of MilViz enough of a time window to fix TACAN with TacPack.

Thank you for the information John. Did you know that one little wish of mine came true? Do you remember what i asked you back in the days? Look here:

It seems that David is the perfect person to test fly the F-14X! Give him a copy! :-)

Sepp,

Please follow these instructions:

- Read post #62

- Read the first line in post #69

- Now look up Einstein's definition of insanity

If the answer was no the first five times you asked, why would it be different now?

As it turns out, I read Bio's book four years ago as required reading for developing an F-14. There was even a period where he was in my city giving a talk, so I could (potentially) sit him down on my computer in front of a proper flight sim setup. But, it didn't pan out. We hit major development problems, and my first priority is to deliver a coherent F-14 package, so that fell to the wayside. I'm so committed to that function you'll note we don't even have an official promo video.

As of now, we have a F-14 driver who served as both as a pilot and RIO. He is highly motivated, he volunteered his expertise, AND he even gave me his phone number so I can call and hash out tough details in a live conversation. Development help does not get better than that (i.e. HE is the perfect person to test fly our F-14),  and the project has benefited tremendously from his efforts.

After pinging me on preview forums, personal message, and now support forums....it's outright harassment. Maybe a video with an F-14 driver and our Tomcat will come and maybe it won't, either way, it will be completely independent of your input. Stop asking.

Dear John,

I'm sorry that I started this issue again here - I had really accepted that there are more important things than such a stupid video.
I did not want to bother you with my last message. I found the interview with BIO by chance and thought - hey, he's talking to the Flight Simulator community that you need to show John! It was meant to the old theme, none path warm again. I am pleased that you have a good relationship with a real turkey pilot so - something better could not happen for us.
So now concentrate on the important things. I'll never write anything again what to do remotely has it. I myself have a 4-year-old daughter - I know there's a lot more important things in life.

With warmest regards from a fan of your work

Sebastian

Archived