Your Input, This seems to be a growing problem

Captain_Walton

In all fairness, if you were paying attention- all the original purchasers of the PMDG NGX for FSX received a discounted price for the updated NGX for P3D upon release. ($20usd off) So, yeah- we DID get a discount and the offer lasted for a few weeks.

Also- I work in the video game industry and I can tell you from experience- there is no such thing as a 10 min fix.... For anything.

Isn't ignorance bliss?

The discount was available for everyone, so it's not some sort of loyaltydiscount for existing customers, but it was a general introductiondiscount.

Nobody besides from PMDG knows how much they really had to pay for the P3D licensing. All we can do is speculate, and judging by the enormous delay they went through with their P3D releases I don't think it was an easy process.

Therefore I think it is not really fair to say the NGX and 777 where just "10 minute conversions".

In their license PMDG expecially states that their products are not approved for any real world aviation trainingpurposes (just like all of ours btw), so it's hard to define what exactly they are now. See the red text in all their manuals "DO NOT USE FOR FLIGHT".

It's quite a funny situation actually.

While P3D is sold as a trainingdevice I'm not aware of any addon that would actually be licensed for trainingpurposes, including all PMDG addons.

Robert Randazzo discussed this in detail in one of his posts on the official PMDG forum relating to P3D.

PMDG WILL be producing a commercial license version of the 777, approved for real world training, and made available to airline training departments. Because of the liability and regulatory requirements that such software must meet to be used for FAA/EASA approved training, the cost will be much, MUCH higher than what we, as hobbyist simmers pay - which is to say thousands of dollars per license. Not "hundreds", but "thousands".

The approved training version will be sold through a separate division of the company that will deal only with commercial clients. In addition to the very high up-front license costs, commercial customers will also be required to purchase an annual maintenance contract.

The commercial version may well be almost identical the $135 version that we, as hobbyist / non-commercial users pay.

Mr. Randazzo has also stated, more than once, that the fees which PMDG has to pay to its "licensing partners" (presumably Boeing, but also, possibly, Honeywell and others) are considerably higher for each copy of the P3D version of the 777 as compared to the FSX/SE version - even though the non-commercial hobbyist version of the software is not approved for real-world training. Apparently the licensing costs go up because of the platform the product runs on - it does not matter if the product will be used for training or not.

Other vendors who make dual FSX/P3D versions of their add-ons may not have to deal with such licensing agreements with the real-world manufacturers of the emulated aircraft.

I'm not a PMDG employee - just a customer. Most of the concerns being voiced in this thread have been addressed - repeatedly - by PMDG spokespersons on their official forums on AVSIM.

As far as those who "cannot afford" the software - I do empathize, but the unfortunate fact is that if you can't afford it, then you may simply have to go without. This is a hobby after all - few of us HAVE to have a flight simulator - it is, like any hobby, a luxury - not a necessity.

P3D is in that "luxury" class too - considering that there are already two viable sim platforms that run PMDG products - i.e. original FSX, and FSX-SE - nobody is being "forced" to switch to P3D.

And, I would like to point out that PMDG spent considerable time and effort making the NGX and 777 fully compatible with the new FSX-SE platform, and did so at absolutely no cost whatsoever to existing FSX users of the add-ons. In the case of the NGX, this also included new features (weather radar) not found in the original FSX product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I have to clear something up here please. Many of you are saying I am complaining about prices which I am but it may be because I am not understanding the level of work required to this, I am not a game developer. let me make this very clear and I ask that you do not be hateful or rude in your return comments if any. I for one have and own their products nor do I have any issue paying "Professional prices" as I make plenty of money. I only made this post after talking to people who I fly with and talk about them rising as well as seeing PMDG prices rising myself. I understand them having agreements with Boeing and all that.

I just posted a simple comment/question and some of you light up on me as if I was some kid complaining because a "paper route" job isn't giving me enough to buy it. I was only asking a question and expressing a concern. So many people describe this community as "Professional" but I am yet to see any professional responses or comments minus a select few. I have been in this hobby for 14 years and have seen the decline of the kindness and helpfulness in this hobby.

I will be the first to admin if I am wrong. I did state in my original post "I do feel they should lower the prices a bit" and that is my personal opinion. So I ask why people attack others as opposed to giving a professional answer. I am just asking you to please show a little kindness in your responses. I know some may think this reply is stupid or weak but lets bring back the respect that this hobby seems to have lost over the years.

If all you have is a disrespectful answer for this post please don't leave any hateful comments or disrespectful comments.

I hope this post makes sense as It has been a very long day.

Thank you :)

• Aerosoft

Well, probably is because "boeing licensed product" they might have to pay boeing for license fee

But we also pay licenses on many products, take it from me that they are not the cause of the high prices.

At Aerosoft we generally agree with Captain Walton and believe that add-ons should ideally not be more expensive than the simulator (on release), you see this reflected in our prices. However that means that we top out with our products (Airbus for example) at a lower complexity rate then PMDG normally does. That coincides well with our idea that it's an add-on for a FLIGHT simulator and not an aircraft systems simulator.

PMDG (and others) feel different about this and we fully respect that. We feel they got the price-quality equation right. They offer a different kind of product, one that would be very hard to make profitable for a sub 50 euro price level.

:huh:

(...)

So can you please give a professional response without putting people down or calling folks names. I hope this post makes sense as It has been a very long day.

(...)

(...) I personally think PMDG (...) I believe they are over rated. (...), I just don't like their crazy price tags, (...) That is stupid, I don't care how much so called "work" they had to do.

(...) That is down right ridicules, from a business mind, (...), instead of milking their customers out of every penny.

(...) their raising and what seems to be greedy price tags.

(...), please do not respond with hate speech or flame war me because of my opinion.

(...)

Archived