Problems maintaining speed when turning

Hey folks,

I have a strange problem I only had with the iFly 737 in FS9, but now also with the Airbus in P3D. When in cruise and the aircraft is turning left, the engines will spool up although that's absolutely not necessary, simply maintaining that power it had before would be enough. When the aircraft is turning right, the engines will spool down for no reason and thereafter it needed to catch up the speed again by increasing to full thrust again as soon as it is again wings level. When I'm climbing to cruise level and the aircraft is turning left, it will decrease the climb rate for no reason and increase the climb rate when turning right.

I'm not quite sure whats happening there. I assume it may have something to do with FSGRW which i'm using for the weather, but I don't know how to fix that (except not using FSGRW anymore which is no option). I was using SP 3 with Hotfix e. Yesterday I reinstalled P3D and the Airbus and patched it to Hotfix C only because I was not sure if it may had something to do with the latest Hotfix, however, its the same problem.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I would advise to also ask the FSGRW people.

I never have seen or heard of this problem with our bus.

Let's see if somebody from the users here chimes in.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I use FSGRW weather in FSX and have not seen this behaviour.

Did you also use it in FSX with our Airbus?

Hmm seems to be the Airbus. I tried the same flight with Active Sky Evolution (quite old but it does its work) and had the very same problems...

• Deputy Sheriffs

And the same flight without anything from active sky? Standard FSX WX would be the ultimate test to see if it is the Bus.

Hi!

This is a well known problem when making turns with wind, which I reported in this thread:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/88259-problems-with-autothrust-in-turns-with-wind/

Today I made the same test with A320 CFM v1.30e and the results were the same, so the problem is not fixed.

Mladen

Edit: The tests are made with FSX weather engine

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Mladen, you assume it is the wind doing this. Skyrock said in his first post something different. Wind could have to do with it maybe yes. But I think it is something else.

Ps,

After seeing your postings on another Airbus developers forum I thought I would not hear from you here again. Welcome back!

Regarding the speed problem, if there is no wind, the speed is rock solid in all turns, so it has to be connected to wind.

After seeing your postings on another Airbus developers forum I thought I would not hear from you here again. Welcome back!

I follow this forum on regular basis and enjoy flying Aerosoft Airbus Family. I make at least one flight per day and hope all problems with the Bus will get sorted out. I follow the other developer's forum as well, as I am looking forward to their Bus too.

Hi Mladen, you assume it is the wind doing this. Skyrock said in his first post something different. Wind could have to do with it maybe yes. But I think it is something else.

Without any weather it's smooth as silk, so it is connected to the wind or at least to the weather itself (I don't know exactly whats causing this, but it does happen with external weather). AFAIR with v1.21 this behaviour also existed but not in that extreme manner.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I know I am getting annoying now but as a last request. Could you fly with another weather theme that has wind in it? Building storms for example.

I want to rule out that it is wind perse and that we have to look towards external weather programs with your system.

Thanks

Now this is getting interesting. I just tried a flight EDDF-EDDH with the "Stormy Weather" theme from P3D. Result: The very same problems! I took off from runway 07C in EDDF on the MARUN4E departure and at MARUN when there's a right turn to UVANO, the A321 (IAE) increased the v/s in a manner which was not sufficient to maintain climb speed. Thereafter, just at NATSU at around FL290 when you have to turn left inbound TOLGI, it reduced the v/s from 1500ft/min to 700ft/min which resulted in a Mach Speed of .808 which is far too fast. In both cases when going wings level again, the a321 corrected the v/s to regain the desired climb speed, but only then, not earlier and thats too late to correct.

I'm doing the return flight right now with the Clear Skies weather theme (-> no winds!) and it works perfectly, like it should at all times. So it's not an external weather program causing these problems, the Airbus simply seems to have a problem with winds in general...

• Deputy Sheriffs

I am sorry to disappoint you but in this case I do not think it is solely the bus that is causing problems.

In your opening posts you are saying the engines are behaving weird and it influences the speed. In your last post it is more of an VS problem.

Lets stick with the stormy weather theme. What TOW and CI did you fly? Did you fly it fully managed (which modes)? AP on? I assume you know your way around in an A320, autoflight wise. What other sim programs are running? Etc.

It is too bad that you do not fly Hotfix E because that makes the troubleshooting diffecult as we can not rule out a lot of stuff.

I am sorry to disappoint you but in this case I do not think it is solely the bus that is causing problems.

In your opening posts you are saying the engines are behaving weird and it influences the speed. In your last post it is more of an VS problem.

Lets stick with the stormy weather theme. What TOW and CI did you fly? Did you fly it fully managed (which modes)? AP on? I assume you know your way around in an A320, autoflight wise. What other sim programs are running? Etc.

It is too bad that you do not fly Hotfix E because that makes the troubleshooting diffecult as we can not rule out a lot of stuff.

Okay let me be a little more precise: when I'm climbing to the cruise level, its the V/S that changes because the engines are operating at climb thrust. But when I'm cruising, it's the engine power that changes because we aren't climbing. The only phase where these problems do not exist is in descend, there it works perfectly, no v/s oscillations when turning and no engine misbehaviour. In the meantime I reinstalled the Bus and installed Hotfix e so we're at the newest version here. The problem still remains.

My TOW was 74t, CI 30 with Smiths Flight Management System, fully managed and AP on shortly after takeoff (about 400ft). At the time testing with the stormy weather theme, I had no other sim programs running. The only programs running were TPC and UTOPIA for takeoff calculation purposes, but nothing else.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Ok, thanks. Will fly the same FRA-HAM flight with stormy weather to see how the bus on my system functions.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Alright Skyrock.

First, thank you for the detailed discription of the problem and the supplied info. This is exactly what we need to try and replicate the problem.

I did fly your flight the Hamburg and experienced the same thing you mentioned. It is also the same issue Mladen reported earlier. The action starts around 10:00 minutes in:

https://youtu.be/5_AY7SLpqPo

The phenomenon you see here is normal and real life. As soon as you turn out of an headwind the performance of an aircraft will decrease. This is seen by a loss of speed and or VS when the thrust remains the same. You may also read the link that Mladen posted. I say phenomenon because different aircraft handle this situation different. You can speak with any RW Airbus A32X pilot that has some years of experience on the bus and he will tell you he saw this thing with the speed dropping/rising in RL. The autothrust on the Airbus can be a bit lazy now and then, same goes for the AP. The devs tried to model this to some extend. In these cases, turning more than 30 degrees out of or into the wind, our Airbus may be a bit slow on the uptake. But I would say it is still within limits of what I have seen in RL. The AS A330 will get a new, less lazy to windchanges, AP and bits of that code may find its way into the A32X at some point in time.

For now I can tell you that the AP code will not be changed for the A32X and that this AP behaviour will be a "feature/Character flaw" of the bus that can and does happen in RL from time to time.

I hope you still enjoy flying the bus!

Thanks for your answer. Glad to see it does not only happen to me, almost got paranoid about this.

Well it seems it's one of the classic Airbus moments when you wonder again what it is doing. Was kind of irritiating because the last time I observed that behaviour was with the iFly 737 in FS9, all other airplane Add-ons don't seem to struggle with the wind at all. But I guess I have to live with it and I look forward to the A330!

And my final post on this matter.

I did more tests and here are the results:

FSX weather - wind at FL370 = 270*/100kt

- FSX default A321:

Speed in turns with wind changed by 0.01 Ma (from 0.80 to 0.81) regardless of direction of turn

- A320 from another developer:

Speed in turns with wind changed by 0.001 Ma (from 0.800 to 0.801) regardless of direction of turn

- Aerosoft A320:

When turning into the wind speed changed by 0.02+ Ma (from 0.80 to 0.82) trigering an OVERSPEED

When turning downwind speed changed by 0.06 Ma (from 0.80 to 0.74)

This proves that other aircraft do not have a problem with turns with wind, but Aerosoft Airbus A320 has a big problem with maintaining speed in turns with wind, because the autothrust commands wrong thrust settings.

Thank you,

Mladen

Archived