Oslo Torp and P3d - Terrible Performance

ridgey

Hi guys.

I am hitting massive issues running Olso Torp in p3d. The scenario is that in basic terms the sim grinds to a halt. If you look at the aircraft from any view it looks like it's speeding up and slowing down midflight/taxi.

The fps drop all over the place from 40 - 11.

Before you blame in on settings on pc, I run p3d in advanced aircraft at 30-35 everywhere. Vancouver FSDT, Copenghagen Flytampa, UK2000 heathrow everything with no issue. This is related to this scenery only.

What do you think is going on here? I've not seen anything like it before and I am little worried.

Kind regards,

Alex

p.s running orbx Norway, (turned off the ento.bgl's in the ORBX scenery directory. Still no fix).

I have NO issues running this in FSX DX10

Edit:

2200z update: Other users seem to get exactly the same issue. Source Avsim forums.

• Aerosoft

Im not yet on 2.5 but on 2.4 and dont have such FPS drops... Officially the scenery is not supported for P3D2v5 but i will ask the developer if he can check that out for you.

Jonas

Im not yet on 2.5 but on 2.4 and dont have such FPS drops... Officially the scenery is not supported for P3D2v5 but i will ask the developer if he can check that out for you.

Jonas

Cool,

Could we get the developer to join this forum thread?

I posted this over on AVSIM, but will post again here since I'm running into the same performance issues with P3D V2.5:

Did some more testing of Torp (ENTO) tonight, sadly the performance/stutter problem still exists even with the new Torp 1.02 and latest Orbx Norway update and libraries.
Made some videos to demostrate the issue:
This is Orbx Norway ENTO which is smooth, no performance issues:
This is Orbx Norway with Aerosoft ENTO - performance issues and stutters:
I also tested at Aerosoft Oslo just to show you that this performance issue is specific to Aerosoft Torp and ONLY Aerosoft Torp. As you can see Oslo is very smooth:
These are the settings I used for Aerosoft Torp via configuration tool:
968bc1357793342fca6685de27d3c7ed.jpg
If anyone has any hints or suggestions, much appreciated. I've exhausted as much as I know.
These are the graphics settings I used: http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_Titan_X_4K_Set.html
Cheers, Rob.

Hi guys,

Sad to hear you're having these issues. Does this happen only in P3D v2.5 or has it happened in earlier versions? And I understand this is only P3D related, not FSX? I did a quick heli flight over the area and I didnt have any stutters (P3D 2.5 + AS Torp + FTX NOR)

Rob, your first video seems to a mix between FTX NOR and AS Torp ground. With asphalt, markings and satelite imagery actually being from AS Torp as well as FTX NOR. You can see this as there are 'double' markings and shadows of objects that arent there. However this does rule out ground elements as a source for the problems.

I myself can not reproduce the problem, which makes it hard to make a "fix" right now. However what you could do, is go into aerosoft/Torp Sandefjord X/scenery folder and manually rename objects.bgl, ento_fences, ento_parkcars, ento_mt, ento_buildings, with an .OFF at the end - disabling the elements. Then open the simulator and see if this changes anything. This would of course be just a troubleshooting technique to hopefully locate the problem.

I will be away for this coming week. Please let me know if this elimination changes anything. If it doesnt, I will have to take a closer look when I get back. We will definitely solve this!

Hi guys,

Sad to hear you're having these issues. Does this happen only in P3D v2.5 or has it happened in earlier versions? And I understand this is only P3D related, not FSX? I did a quick heli flight over the area and I didnt have any stutters (P3D 2.5 + AS Torp + FTX NOR)

Rob, your first video seems to a mix between FTX NOR and AS Torp ground. With asphalt, markings and satelite imagery actually being from AS Torp as well as FTX NOR. You can see this as there are 'double' markings and shadows of objects that arent there. However this does rule out ground elements as a source for the problems.

I myself can not reproduce the problem, which makes it hard to make a "fix" right now. However what you could do, is go into aerosoft/Torp Sandefjord X/scenery folder and manually rename objects.bgl, ento_fences, ento_parkcars, ento_mt, ento_buildings, with an .OFF at the end - disabling the elements. Then open the simulator and see if this changes anything. This would of course be just a troubleshooting technique to hopefully locate the problem.

I will be away for this coming week. Please let me know if this elimination changes anything. If it doesnt, I will have to take a closer look when I get back. We will definitely solve this!

Confirming no issue in FSX Dx10.

So I'll have another test with turning your things off. Look forward to you coming back next week.

Confirming no issue in FSX Dx10.

So I'll have another test with turning your things off. Look forward to you coming back next week.

Hi Ridgey ... FYI, I my case I'm using P3D v2.5 not FSX.

Some of the difference in P3D are:

1. No support for ASM methods of scenery design/layout

2. Requires the use of Z-bias on material/objects to avoid flickering (z-fighting)

3. HDR and it's impact on texture levels

4. Tessellation tends to shift terrain (I believe it is an issue LM are trying to address in next release)

The first video was done by moving AS Torp lower (still enabled) in the scenery order making Orbx top. The 2nd video was done by moving AS Torp to top priority (enabled) above Orbx.

I'll testing by turning off those BGLs listed and report back.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Joakim (others),

I have successfully located the performance problem ... it's the single file:

gr_lights.BGL

to fix the issue rename file to

gr_lights_BGL.OFF

I haven't tried to look at this BGL so don't know if this applies or not: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/notice-on-asm-based-scenery/

Cheers, Rob.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I have successfully located the performance problem ... it's the single file:

gr_lights.BGL

Thanks, Rob, great find!

Does someone know what these gr_lights are?

• Deputy Sheriffs

I think Joakim will be able to tell (and fix) next week when he will be back.

Rob, also from me: great find, thanks!

Just bought the scenery yesterday,not had time to do a proper test yet. Is the issue still present? Thanks for the workaround Rob ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Good find, Rob! gr_lights.bgl are all taxi lights throughout the airport. (NOT runway or approach lights)

If you put an .OFF on this file, you will obviously have no taxi lights. Also, if you use the config tool after putting an .OFF on the file - regardless of which setting you change - it will add another gr_lights.bgl to your /scenery folder. Keep this in mind. A better temporary solution would be to tick off taxi lights --> "No lights" in the config tool, I am curious if this also solves the problem.

The taxi lights for this airport are made the least performance demanding way, with no 'effect' added. They are made with blended textured planes across two axes. This is the way a lot of scenerys have their taxi lights made, so I'm not sure why it's a problem only at Torp X for some of you.

I have uploaded a new gr_lights.bgl for you to try, where I have halved the amount of taxi lights throughout the airport. Simply replace with the one you currently have in the aerosoft/Torp Sandefjord X/scenery folder. Using the config tool again will revert to the old file you had. The new file can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cac20rm72s1k50o/gr_lights.bgl

Please let me know if using this file resolves the issue. If this does work, I'll upload a more complete temporary patch where it will work with the config tool as well. I do have some personal things going on for the next three weeks, keeping me away from my work computer, but I'll be online and reachable on this forum regardless. If there is no change even with the new file, I'm afraid you'll have to wait some more without taxi lights before I can find a permanent solution.

Looking forward hearing from you! Thanks

Hi Joakim,

Tested out your new gr_lights.bgl ... sadly the results are the same, stutters and poor performance. Perhaps it's time to contact LM and inquire?

Actually the taxi lights are a big problem for me at various airports that have implemented them this way ... I can't provide you an answer hence my suggestion to inquire with LM as to what might be causing the issue.

Split X has a similar problem in P3D which wasn't solved with the 1.2 update.

Cheers, Rob.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response from me guys. I do have another full-time job and I've had a lot going on lately.

Rob, the taxilights are coded to only be on at night, as with other night textures such as buildings. I have contacted LM and I'll get right back to you when they reply.

Hi Joakim,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I have noticed a few of the more recent Aerosoft airports (don't know if you were involved or if they used the same type of runway lights process) that seem exhibit the exact say stutter issues (have another thread started here: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/96122-stutters-at-htkj-in-p3d-v25/ ).

Hopefully you can get some dialog going with LM to figure if it's a modeling issue or LM issue or something else.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Joakim,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I have noticed a few of the more recent Aerosoft airports (don't know if you were involved or if they used the same type of runway lights process) that seem exhibit the exact say stutter issues (have another thread started here: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/96122-stutters-at-htkj-in-p3d-v25/ ).

Hopefully you can get some dialog going with LM to figure if it's a modeling issue or LM issue or something else.

Cheers, Rob.

I have not been involved in these other scenerys but they might use a similar method. I see you mention a driver upgrade fixed the issue on HTKJ. Did this apply to Torp as well? :-)

Hi Joakim,

Is the only current workaround turning off the lights.bgls ?

Alex

Hey Alex,

Sorry but as far as I know, yes.

Archived