New Twin Otter pilot

asolyom

Hi,

I have just purchased the Otter, and I have a question, which might be dumb. Prop levers are full forward, and I need high power to taxi. When I pull the levers to feather I taxi like hell. Is that normal? Shouldn't it be vice versa?

For taxi the prop levers should be full forward.

Pulling the prop levers back will move the prop blades through their coarse pitch settings and thus increasing torque and thrust. Reaching feathered position they will increase torque, but not produce any thrust.

FSX is very finicky regarding sensing feathered position. Try to snap the prop levers into full back position and be sure that Your prop lever axis is properly calibrated.

Finn

Hello Finn,

Now I began to understand how power management works on the Otter. This is a really magnificent piece from Aerosoft. Everythings works so fine till now, and FPS is outstanding.

I still have a question regarding power management. I know that on piston engine aircraft increasing power starts by increasing the prop rpm, and then the manifold pressure; while decreasing power vice versa. Probably this is a bit different with turbo props. With the Otter I see that I can change the rpm with the prop control, but it effects also torque. The same way the throttle has effect both on rpm and torque. So finally the engine setting on the Otter needs some micro management.

Congratulations on this great addon! :excellenttext_s:

The Prop levers control propeller RPM and the power levers the engine torque.

Normally You take off with prop levers full forward (max prop RPM) and then advance the power levers to max allowable torque.

When climbing You will reduce the power levers and thus torque in order to prepare for the torque increase as You reduce the prop RPM with the prop levers.

Finn

Hi,

I have just purchased the Otter, and I have a question, which might be dumb. Prop levers are full forward, and I need high power to taxi. When I pull the levers to feather I taxi like hell. Is that normal? Shouldn't it be vice versa?

Try giving this a read:

Start there and continue reading: http://12charlie.com/Chapter_14/Chap14Page006.htm

For the Twin otter here is a diagram from work, imagine the airflow coming from the top of the diagram. The degree values are the values at the 30 inch station outboard from the hub.

proprange.png

Archived