Combined IAE ATHR Issues Thread

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tested A319 IAE LIML-LIRQ Real Weather and 319 CFM LIRQ-LIRF Real Weather.

60% MTOW (due to FIR limitations).

For me it is more than OK.

In real flying the almost stable throttle determine pitch and or vertical speed variation to compensate drag, the airspeed indicator is continuosly moving,

I imagine the Autothrottle have a very hard work to do, mostly because is not possible to be ahead of the variations in drag due to winds or density and inertia in jets spool up.

Simulating (and programming, of course) a stable airspeed, rate of descent, and altitude hold in changing parameters I'm sue is not an easy job.

Personally I prefere the "autofunction" in ruling the flight parameters being no so perfect since they seems not to close to real life. Pilots must be ahead of the plane behaviour and act consequently,

Thank you Joshua for your commitment.

I'm very happy with Aerosoft's Airbuses. This software is more than a "simulation in flying" it is an experience in the "reality of modern cockpit management.

Best regards

Robert

Yeah just a quick question; why is this hotfix not in the 'news and hotfix sub forum? Thinking back to this: 'As with all these major updates we ONLY provide a full new build to avoid mixed up files that cause major headaches. You will find the new file on your order history page'. Now let me see should I install hotfix 1.21c on the fresh installer 1.21 first, then the hotfix for the hotfix or should I install the hotfix for the hotfix on a fresh install of 1.21...or should I just wait until all this nonsense, yes nonsense.. is sorted out...since Aerosoft do not want me getting a headache, let alone a major one, now do they..... :confused2_s:

steve

Test

A319 IAE

Weather OFF: Climb ok, level off at 5000, 10000, 15000ft (manual climb) very smooth level of and no engine oscillation

Weather ON (ASN): Same tests. Much better with the new ATHR but it seems the bus got more problems with weather engines than other high sensetive aircrafts! In light turbulences engine oscillation is a bit crazy but i have NOT seen any oscillation at TOC! No spooling up and down but as i said before, in turbulences the AT is hard at work to hold the speed!

Looks like you are not far away from perfect :excellenttext_s:

Max

Joshua,

I concur with the other reports.

IAE A319 to LFLL from EGKK cruise 29k ASN used. T.O uneventful Climb uneventful TOC engine oscillation's about three or four until cruise altitude captured.

The Weather Engines do seem to effect aircraft. ..small wind speed changes effect the engines, e.g 5mph change caused engine to go from cruise setting to idle and back.

Descent was much better as was approach.

Thank for your efforts.....nearly nailed it!

Best

Just flown EIDW to EGNX with A319 IAE. Live weather using ASN, REALISTIC options selected but Turbulence Effect Scale set to 50. Enhanced Turb. off, naturally. I use these settings 90% of the time anyway. Strong winds in the UK today so...

I have to say this is one of the best flights i've ever flown with the Aerosoft Airbus. Absolutely textbook stuff. No probs with takeoff and climb, engines spooled 1-2 times to establish ALT CRZ but nothing i'd consider unrealistic. Strong tailwind all the way to descent. Light to moderate chop in the cruise, all handled with aplomb by the AT.

26kt winds with gusts of 38kt at EGNX RWY27, normally i'd select manual thrust with those conditions, but trusted to the AT for testing purposes. Result? A fantastic approach and landing.

Obviously only one flight, but based on that i'd give the A319 a clean bill of health. Wonder why the A320 went briefly beserk at TOC while the A319 didn't?

Also, has anyone else noticed way more realistic taxiing with the IAE A319 with this fix? I even had to apply some thrust at Dublin at one point.

Cheers

Richard

Hmm i guess the different between 30 and 50 is not that much!

I don't understand the fuss when it comes to ASN...i've always found the Airbus to be one of the more robust add-ons on when it comes to coping with turbulence etc. Certainly compared to really weather sensitive aircraft like PMDG.

Admittedly the default turbulence settings in ASN are far more demanding than they were pre-SP1, but thats what the turbulence effect slider is for. You have loads of options. I use 50% turbulence. Still lively, but it doesn't break essential aircraft features such as Auto-throttle etc.

Anyway, we are digressing already to weather engine setting settings when it has no bearing on the issue at hand.

Richard

Hotfix 1.21c plus ATHR fix: A320 IAE with real world weather using REX Essential Plus, everything ok with climb until TOC, then THR has 3/4 large oscillations until CRZ established. Descent and Final App is ok.

Also taxying seems to be smoother.

Will try A319 IAE later.

Yeah just a quick question; why is this hotfix not in the 'news and hotfix sub forum?

Take a look at the first two words of the first message of this thread.

OK just finished a flight with A319 IAE. EGKK to EGJJ with real world REX Essential plus.

Some THR oscillation on SAM1X SID when transiting from 2500' to 3000', but not too bad. Very significant THR oscillation at TOC, maybe 5 or 6 cycles. Descent had minor oscillations, but this may have been caused by the weather. Approach and Finals ok.

So my conclusion is that Hotfix 1.21c plus the ATHR test fix is functioning satisfactorily, so thanks Joshua Che!!

Hi All. Flight test today

A319 IAE Aircraft full up to date with all fixes.

EGPF-EKCH

ZFW.48881 Kgs

F. 11702Kgs

CI.22

Benign FSX wx used with surface wind calm NO ASN.

1. Departure and initial climb unremarkeable using FLX initial climb to 6000 QNH

2. Levelling at 6000ft 3 violent 'thrust pumps' before thrust stabilised.

3.Climb to FL180 aircraft allowed to level and A/T performance stable and unremarkeable

4.Climb to FL250 aircraft allowed to level and A/T performance stable and unremarkeable.

5.Climb to cruising at FL370. On levelling there were 3 'thrust pumps' the first to a moderate level then the following 'pumps' at decreasing levels of intensity, the last being very slight.

6.Descent to FL310 and levelling absolutely no issue.

7.Descent to FL210 and levelling absolutely no issue.

8.Descent to FL110 and levelling absolutely no issue.

9.Speed reduction to 250kts no issue

10.Descent to 5000ft and decelleration to 220kts. Aircraft doesn't like to slow when clean at very slight rates of descent, (1000fpm) and spoiler effect is very slight at greater ROD but perhaps this is normal for all I know.

11.Descelleration to 160kts and flap increases appear normal except that flap drag results in very small amounts of power. When at 160kts with flap 3 and U/c down, established on the GP the aircraft is almost at flight idle and on slowing to Vapp at 130kts with full flap the autothrottle is hovering on flight idle setting. This is much lower than I'd expect for a dirty aircraft even with a calm wind.

Conclusion.

There are still issues but as this is a test fix that should be expected.

1.There appear to be A/T issues still apparent in the climb with this aircraft variant.

2.This variant appears to have performance issues in climb above FL200. By FL290 climb rate was showing 700FPM. Mach 'handover' was around FL310 by which time climb rate was 600FPM which was maintained to FL370.

3.This variant appears to be particularly slippery at lower altitudes and appears to get very little drag increase from flap or spoiler. The whole point of flap on approach is to allow controlled flight at low speed whilst holding power settings at a point that, in the event of a go-around, turbine spool-up time is minimised. This doesn't appear to be being accurately simulated at the moment.

4.Although this is not likely to be changed by an A/T mod, I'm still rather dubious about the taxy acceleration on this variant as it loves to 'spring forward' to around 25kts and although it's known to actual pilots that the aircraft will roll on idle from brakes off, it does seem that the IAE variant might be exagerated slightly. This is particularly apparent when there is a comparison with the more powerful CFM variant which seems much closer to reality. (I stand to be corrected by any real life pilots on this. I do have a good friend who flies this version with BA but as he's just become a father for the second time I'm loath to bother him with flight sim trivia).

Note.

My comments are only based on the A319IAE and how it performs on my system at the current state of modification. It is not intended to criticise results of any other flight tests or of Aerosoft. I'm just trying to be thorough in reporting my experience.

Regards.

Mike

Todays Test

KPSP-KMRY

Real weather (ASN)

Climb Managed mode

A319 IAE

Latest patches and updates

Climb OK

Level of at TOC was realy boring! Engine swinging up and down very agressive (3-4 times), nose pitch up and down!

Impression: i don't know what is going wrong with the Bus but this is realy boring! The only thing that worked is level of with manual climbing! Managed mode is far from a good addon!

A friend of mine is a Airbus pilot typ A320 (Austrian Airlines). He knows FSX and i will bet him to see whats going on with the Bus!

Max

Hello everbody

I do have strange issu with the bus ; very strong oscillation ( getting up and down ; speed increase and decrease strongly ) of the aircraft just after take off > a nightmare

I seems that's it's a wrong interaction with wind ....

I will try the ATHR fix and will let you know

Regards

Hi all,

Having performed a few more flights with the IAE A319 I'm afraid my original conclusions were premature. Not sure why the planets were in alignment on my Dublin-East Midlands trip, but every flight since then has resulted in the ALT CRZ craziness as observed in the A320. 4-5 severe oscillations before the engines settle. All of this is repeatable with A319/A320/A321 regardless of weather conditions.

Also, apologies for my brainfart re: the taxiing speed. Why I thought an ATHR update would sort that out I don't know, but suffice to say the IAE A319 still bombs along like a supercharged Reliant Robin; the strong winds at Dublin I suspect influenced my original conclusions.

In summary, I think MWR's earlier, very detailed post pretty much nails all of the salient points regarding the problems with the IAE at this stage. Nothing to add to that, and I think the devs have all they need to work on from that.

Cheers,

Richard

Archived