A320 V1.21 Fails to follow track in Managed descent

ubersu

Hi,

Revisiting this topic. Using the following plan EGSS CLN1E CLN DVR UL9 KONAN UL607 SPI UT180 PESOV T180 UNOK1B EDDF and either NavdataPro or Navigraph 1413 data. The aircraft fails to track (turns wrong way) multiple waypoints in the STAR during managed descent. Once entered the plan has not been modified in any way and the plan itself has been validated using SimBrief tools. Once track failure occurs, multiple DIRECT TOs are required to come anywhere near the required track and track graphics get very odd indeed from time to time. This is repeatable using the flight plan above. The first failure occurs after UNOKO, at the turn at IBVIL... it is clear prior to the failure that the aircraft has become confused because it indulges in multiple and very quick left/right banks before stabilizing again near IBVIL.

Regards,

DJ

For this particular route and this particular test, I didn't use VS - I used only Direct To and Managed mode for track and took over speed for altitude late in the approach , since the waypoints that cause improper turns aren't recognized as having been passed , the aircraft gets behind on the path descent. This STAR and approach transition gets pretty convoluted and the aircraft goes mad trying to follow it in both path and altitude - I'm used to using speed to control both if possible. I can understand problems at some of the later turns because the speed is computed very high, but the first failure at IBVIL involves a pretty gentle turn.

DJ

Hi,

Revisiting this topic. Using the following plan EGSS CLN1E CLN DVR UL9 KONAN UL607 SPI UT180 PESOV T180 UNOK1B EDDF and either NavdataPro or Navigraph 1413 data. The aircraft fails to track (turns wrong way) multiple waypoints in the STAR during managed descent. Once entered the plan has not been modified in any way and the plan itself has been validated using SimBrief tools. Once track failure occurs, multiple DIRECT TOs are required to come anywhere near the required track and track graphics get very odd indeed from time to time. This is repeatable using the flight plan above. The first failure occurs after UNOKO, at the turn at IBVIL... it is clear prior to the failure that the aircraft has become confused because it indulges in multiple and very quick left/right banks before stabilizing again near IBVIL.

Regards,

DJ

Strange. 2014-12-22_20-35-57-359.pdf

You didn't give any information so I flew this exact route in P3D v2.4, A320, FL330. Fair weather theme. Navigraph 1413. Also used TrackIR but nothing else. I was still at flight level 330 passing UNOK and as I headed toward IBVIL the green line thingie changed from a straight line to what is pictured in the attachment. (which hopefully uploaded). No way could the A320 fly the 90 degree turn but it did try and it just got worse and worse until I did a Direct To RAMOB. The resulting U-turn caused its own problems but eventually the A320 came back on course.

Jerry

Very similar to what I saw except that instead going as far as you did I immediately did a Direct To; this resulted in two track lines leading to RAMOB, slightly offset from one another and the aircraft banking sharply left/right as it decided where to go.... once past RMOOB things went OK until the next turn where once again the aircraft turned in the wrong direction, and an odd secondary course line was drawn not connected to any waypoint and I had to Direct To again...

DJ

• 2 weeks later...

Just an additional comment - although I have noticed this behavior only in managed descent, I suspect that the real issue lies in the complexity of your average STAR and approach pattern. Hence the issue appears most often in those complex situations.

DJ

Archived