Cat-Launch Difficulty

Neil G

I've noticed that this was an issue for some people elsewhere and I don't know if it has been entirely resolved for them. I have acceleration and all is well at first. I start up, follow lists closely, line up on starboard cat in Aden because the other doesn't seem to work for me. Nevertheless, once there all works as expected. Once lined up cat assist puts me in place and I go to full afterburner, flaps down etc. At this point I cant seem to find cat release as Shift and Spacebar doesn't work, but in the bottom left of screen I am told that I'm to use launch assist again, so I do,. Sure enough I'm released and start down the deck, pick up speed only to go 'plop!' off the end of the runway. Does anyone know why this might be happening, what I might be doing wrong etc.

BTW other wise this model is wonderful!

Thanks

Neil

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

afraid that things are still the same. I think the catapult is not working for me, that all I am doing is disengaging take off assist and rolling to the end of the runway on 'mere' engine power. In other words I've not attained the velocity required for take off.

• 3 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem and I am getting seriously frustrated with this add on. I have followed every step to the letter, and posted about this previously without any resolution. The launch button has been mapped correctly, simconnect has been run, and it just will not work (also, the aircraft will not kneel, it tries to but just resets). This is for the Steam version.

JonnyCombat: You have a very serious issue that I don't quite understand. From the three or so posts that you've made it sounds like you're not only having issues with SimConnect, but also with the xml gauges. We should probably take this to PM so I can take a closer look at your system.

Need to ask the posters with this issue, which ships are you using?(USS Kitty Hawk or Javier's USS Nimitz or both/or stock Acceleration Carriers). Is the issue occurring with the AI carrier tracks, VRS Tac-Pac, or are any of you using Lamont Clark's AICarrier programs?

Just ran multiple tests using all variants(current build) of the F-14 with both the Kitty Hawk and the Nimitz using both the preset AI flights for the Kitty Hawk and AICarriers for both the Kitty Hawk and Nimitz. I had no failed Cat Strokes, 100% successful launches however I did notice the Catapult Velocity with the Kitty Hawk seems significantly lower than with the Nimitz but not enough to cause a Cold Cat Stroke & Launch Failure. based on my years of AI Carriers/FSX Acceleration Carrier experience and presumption, I'd bet the users who are having problems are having a Catapult disengagement right at the moment of release which the aircraft model will continue to accelerate but not enough to reach sufficient airspeed to get a successful launch. If this is the case in what's going on here, it may be difficult to identify what exactly is causing it. In my experience, on some days I have seen the Catapult holdback work fine and on others, it failed to work at all. Whatever causes the glitch seems random rather than pattern but maybe some coders here or outside the loop can shed light on this(if this is in fact the issue). For now, I'd suggest to the users who are having trouble to make sure you have a default aircraft model set in FSX startup, restart your PC, start the sim and then select your aircraft or mission and see of that clears the bug. Give that a try and repost.

One note, I tested the Aden flight and used both the Port Bow Cat and Starboard Waist Cat and had no issues.

Okay, so I did a fresh install of FSX Gold last night and, rather than using my developer fileset, I used the V1.1 installer to get all the files. Both catapult launch and refueling worked without any issue.

I'll try the same for FSX-Steam tonight (work is looming), but this is going to be a really tough problem to nail down if I can't reproduce it on my machine.

In the interim, can JonnyCombat, Hanimichal, and MINGO1 send me a pm please.

i installled on 3 different simulators

p3d.2.4 same thing .. kneel appears to engage but the front shock are shaking up and down and catapult not launch in any way. ..

testing on FSX STEAM .. on kitty, Nimitz , also acceleration carriers .. same thing..

and FSX ACCELERATION same thing catapult not work . this happen only with Aerosoft cat..

i put the jet alone on the rwy. and testing switches and kneel switch work half way .. jet try to get kneel but is not working is shaking the front weel shock.

i have news .. after several test.. i uninstall the tomcat 1.10 and install the version 1.0 ..and the kneel works and can be launched off the carrier.. so.. the version 1.10 has something wrong .. on the kneel animation . i spoke with other friends and has same problem with version 1.10. 1.11 fix.

Mingo, I have a couple concerns with your report. The first is that we don't have a forum full of users with a shaking nose strut when they try to kneel, and v1.10 was not only tested by beta testers but also used as the review copy for a professional publication....neither of which reported any such errors. So I don't think you can claim flatly that there is something wrong with v1.10.

Instead, I hear a couple common themes. Both you and Hani appear to have FSX-Accel and FSX-Steam installed on the same computer. I'm not sure that's okay, and actually think it might be a very bad thing. Even if the main installations are in separate directory, there are still sub-directories in the Windows directories that are shared between the two versions. Mostly significantly is the directory that houses the controls config, FSX.cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml and host of other sim critical files.

• 2 weeks later...

Voodoo which version of flightsim are you using?

Which carriers have you tried this on?

Are you using a saved flight or spawing a carrier via Tacpack or AI Carriers?

Archived