---> Change Weather scanning options (solved)

This is an important issue, because I am in the club whose frame rates tanked with ASN to the point of unflyable out of KSFO. I think I figured it out, but if you gentlemen ever clean up support threads so people can zero in on the solution quickly and without confusion, I nominate this thread.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mathijs & all

i have been following the above & a few other posts of similar .... as i too am experiencing substantial (>10fps) hits when using fsx, client asn or as2012 in both current & historic 10min download modes together with a further (>5ps) when the radar is on, be it on take-off, cruise or landing.

it is essentially the same whether i set wxbackgroundscan to 0, 1, or 2.

the only time i achieve my axe type fps (ie don't lose any fps) with the same weather engines is when i fix the weather by stopping further downloads.

so, could it be possible there is some sort of clash bewteen the radar / background scanning & download / synthesising process ..... perhaps constantly varying weather is too much for similarly updating scanning ??

has anyone else tried fixed global weather with the same "benefit" ??

cheers

john

• Aerosoft

so, could it be possible there is some sort of clash bewteen the radar / background scanning & download / synthesising process ..... perhaps constantly varying weather is too much for similarly updating scanning ??

Well the scanning of the weather is a complex process and when the weather resets it means a lot has to be restarted. I never fully understood why weather would need to be updated very often. It not like there are new weather reports from all stations every minute, many stations only update hourly.

mathijs

thanks again ... you raise a thought i shall try ie less frequent downloads (given static / fixed weather seems a solution)..

i still would prefer 10min intervals given that metars are updated at the majors (kord, kjfk etc.to which i fly) as required particularly in frontal weather situations to no fixed schedule.

i've even used 5min intervals but that was a bit too much ..... runway changes on final without warning (in the real you get timely help directly from atc anf the pnf) ??

whichever, i'll let you know on this !!

cheers

john

• Aerosoft

i still would prefer 10min intervals given that metars are updated at the majors (kord, kjfk etc.to which i fly) as required particularly in frontal weather situations to no fixed schedule.

As long as you anticipate that every ten minutes the whole WX radar pattern has to be rebuild that should be no problem.

Personally I do not see the need for such frequent updates. If the weather in FSX would mimic the real weather closely with weather add-ons it would make sense. But in my own experiences that is not always the case. While testing the Bus I tried many weather add-ons and left FSX running almost continuous with the aircraft placed at my home location. While big weather patterns matched up between screen and outside, things like rain, thunderstorms etc, sunshine on a cloudy day never (!) were happening at the same time. Often there was an hour between the real weather and the FSX weather. Three times I had violent thunderstorms on screen while the outside weather was bright and clear. Now some tools did it better than others (ASN and FSGRW were best) but all more or less suffered from these effects. That's why I do not think that very regular updates make a lot of sense.

mathijs

yes, anticipation is a mandatory ... at 10 mins, i still get that short time window to check the atis before the FAF and have some confidence it won't subsequently change thereafter, given it is another task to monitor when asn might be due for the next update whatever download interval one chooses !!

& yes, you are correct that the finer detail of rain etc. is rarely in synch with the real . i often check the local surf reports against live cams to find the actual winds are onshore !!

but back on topic, i'll continue to assess if there is an apparent difference to fps problems with updating weather as opposed to static weather as i earlier observed .. though since that earlier all goes well in updating mode & backgroundscan =2.

cheers

john

• 1 month later...

Archived