Please don't close this post! Is TOPCAT closed or still in development?

No answer has been given on the TOPCAT board, no answer has been given through a support email. I would greatly appreciate a simple, yes or no, as to whether any new aircraft profiles will be made available for TOPCAT, either as a free update, or a paid expansion.

Thanks for your attention.

Darrol

But why do you post this in the Aerosoft forums? We are not related to TOPCAT in any relation. We are neither the reseller, nor the developers. Please post this in the TOPCAT support forums and there you may find an answer.

Here we really can't help you. We have the same infomration you already have... which is nothing at all.

Well yes, and that's the problem. This is the PFPX forum and not the TOPCAT forum.

You wouldn't ask for support for the Twin Otter Extended in the Airbus A318/A319 forums either, would you?

It will really be best either to write an E-Mail to flightsimsoft directly or to post in their forums.

I did try that already, this is the only forum the TOPCAT devs actually look at, and I would argue that it is relevant to PFPX, since FSS could very well randomly quit supporting PFPX in the same manner.

I did try that already, this is the only forum the TOPCAT devs actually look at, and I would argue that it is relevant to PFPX, since FSS could very well randomly quit supporting PFPX in the same manner.

ya exactly the Dev's over at FSS really make me agery, they release the T7 for TOPCAT and its awful and we'vew heard nothing in months of whats going on over there

Unless you have the Airplane Flight Manual Digital Performance Information (since Boeing didnt release a paper AFM for the B777) for the B777-200LR/B777F, how can you tell its awful?

What's going on over there? He's one person, and his girlfriend, who happens to have a full time professional gig as an A320 pilot for a European carrier. There is no staff of professional programmers, no staff of performance analysts. There is Christian, and Judith, and their personal life keeps them fairly busy outside of sitting at his laptop writing code 24/7/365 like you apparently want.

I should know, I spent two and a half days with him in September in Austria.

Unless you have the Airplane Flight Manual Digital Performance Information (since Boeing didnt release a paper AFM for the B777) for the B777-200LR/B777F, how can you tell its awful?

What's going on over there? He's one person, and his girlfriend, who happens to have a full time professional gig as an A320 pilot for a European carrier. There is no staff of professional programmers, no staff of performance analysts. There is Christian, and Judith, and their personal life keeps them fairly busy outside of sitting at his laptop writing code 24/7/365 like you apparently want.

I should know, I spent two and a half days with him in September in Austria.

Dear Dougsnow,

Well, that´s all very informational and heartwarming you are telling us about the developers but, and i don´t want to be rude, that is not my problem and has not my interest.

Me and everyone else here payed for the software, it isn´t freeware. When it was freeware then you had no rights to complain about poorly given information.

They, the developers, have done a great job with TOPCAT and PFPX but not giving any information is not very nice to your customers.

Regards

Rene

(Netherlands)

they release the T7 for TOPCAT and its awful and we'vew heard nothing in months of whats going on over there

I have used TOPCAT since 2010 and BETA 2.74 since its release for the 777F and 77LR and have yet to crash on takeoff using the derates, assumed temperature and flex temperature provided by TOPCAT. What is so awful about TOPCAT?

I have used TOPCAT since 2010 and BETA 2.74 since its release for the 777F and 77LR and have yet to crash on takeoff using the derates, assumed temperature and flex temperature provided by TOPCAT. What is so awful about TOPCAT?

Awful isn't the right word. TOPCAT is now in Beta for 6months + they have never finished the T7 profile.

Also the TOPCAT forum itself looks like death, only Pierre is responding to question..

Do you prefer them (Judith and Christian) waisting their time answering or continuing to fix the issues on PFPX, as already said Topcat will be again the priority when PPFX will be in the state that everybody like enough.

and i may add that Pierre and I are trying to answer most of the questions but those questions has been already asked there is no need to double triple those answers.

Topcat is alive and working like it is, it will get new planes in time.

Phil

I'm not, and I don't believe anyone else is, asking for the developers to immediately devote their time to TOPCAT, I'm simply asking for a yes or no the question, "Will TOPCAT receive further updates?"

Does Phil work for FSS?

my name is Philippe Praprotnik and you can see answering on the other forum as a volunteer moderator. im a beta-tester too of PFPX.

i dont work for FSS.

hope that answer your interrogation on me.

btw what is your name?

Phil

I can understand the frustration that users feel with the state of TOPCAT. I am frustrated myself. What TOPCAT does, it does so very well. However, it is limited in its reach. I wonder if the developers realized what a monster they created when they made the program.

My understanding is that an aircraft profile in TOPCAT is extremely intricate and time consuming. The developers do not have a staff comparable to Aerosoft or Orbx to maintain and enhance the product. Many users have offered to create profiles if the developers would give them a template. Perhaps if they saw it, they would say "no thanks". Don't forget that we still can't enter a cost index into PFPX for our Airbus. I would guess that's a higher priority than TOPCAT.

While PFPX is published by Aerosoft, TOPCAT is not. I don't think it's fair to drag them into this. Perhaps the solution would be for the developer to create a framework which would allow users to make an aircraft profile. Sort of like a paint kit or SDK for aircraft. Then we could put up or shut up. I think if they did, they would generate a fair amount of enthusiasm for the product. Then we could have a profile exchange much the same as aircraft repaints, et al. How about it Mathijs...you interested? Just kidding. We admire what you do and I for one very much appreciate that you often get down in the muck with us, as opposed to closeting yourself in your office acting profound.

There...I've managed to irritate everyone and come down firmly on both sides of the issue :argue_s:

Graham

I'm one of those that are on the edge of buying PFPX/TOPCAT and the only thing that stops me doing it right now is I'm concerned that if I hand over my money will I get a licence key.

Checking on the forums there are both good and bad reports for TOPCAT but the lack of response from the developer does not inspire confidence.

Unfortunately too many assume that all software companies have a team of developers and that they work on this stuff night and day. The reality is in a lot of cases that there is just one person working on their own. As a person who runs his own business I know how important it is to give the impression that you are bigger than you really are, it can help immensely with sale, but you also have to back up that impression.

There is a compromise to be drawn. if you give the impression that you are more than a one man band then you have to also be available to answer questions on a regular basis. I posted a question on the TOPCAT forum the other day as a prospective purchaser I even put that in my heading. I got 2 replies one from a clearly disgruntled customer and 1 from another user who was quiet helpful, but nothing from the company. That silence tells me more about the attitude of the company towards their own product than anything else.

I can live without frequent updates as long as I know that there is support when an issue arises and the only way I know that there is support is by seeing a regular appearance from the company rep.

I notice that I can buy PFPX on the Aerosoft Website but not TOPCAT so should I also read something into that.

PFPX is excellent, no complaints there at all. TOPCAT is a perfectly good program........as long as you buy it intending to use one of the supported aircraft, and aren't in a hurry for new ones to be added. It works perfectly with any realistic B738, 777, A320

I'm Darrol, and I'm sorry you felt interrogated, but FSS really needs to stop answering every question with a I NEED YOUR NAME!

in this anonymous world i dont see a problem for posting your real name. arent we in good company here and in other place??? when on the PMDG forum there is a request for that there is no issue and on other place it will ...

anyway you get your answer and there is nothing else i can do for the moment.

Phil.

PFPX is excellent, no complaints there at all. TOPCAT is a perfectly good program........as long as you buy it intending to use one of the supported aircraft, and aren't in a hurry for new ones to be added. It works perfectly with any realistic B738, 777, A320

dont forgot 747 ... it s working great for them too ...

Archived