[Just discussion] Spoilers during descent

Hello,

one thing I experienced passing from the old AXE to the new A318/A319 is the spoilers effect during descent.

I don't know if it's just a feeling or not, but to me it's very difficult to slow down the aircraft during descent, even with full spoilers deployed and low/moderate rate of descent (-1500/ -2000 ft/min) the speed is prone to remain the same or with a little decrease.

I just would like to know what other pilots think, especially pilots who fly both the old AXE and the new A319.

Again I would like to underline that I'm not saying this is a bug

Hello,

one thing I experienced passing from the old AXE to the new A318/A319 is the spoilers effect during descent.

I don't know if it's just a feeling or not, but to me it's very difficult to slow down the aircraft during descent, even with full spoilers deployed and low/moderate rate of descent (-1500/ -2000 ft/min) the speed is prone to remain the same or with a little decrease.

I just would like to know what other pilots think, especially pilots who fly both the old AXE and the new A319.

Again I would like to underline that I'm not saying this is a bug

Your observation is accurate.

The spoilers on the AXE was too effective.

Furthermore on the A320 it's a big difference if you are flying with AP on or off, as the speedbrakes only extend to 25° with AP on. If you need the maximum rate of descent you need to disconnect the AP (40° deflection).

On the A319 there's no difference between AP on and off as full extension is always only 25°.

Interesting big of info, thanks! Wonder why they designed the system like that?

So, if I understand correctly, when the more drag light comes on:

I leave AP on and apply 25 degrees (a319 full) spoilers until I slow down?

Ed Farley

Archived