---> Airbus crashes the sim, combination topic

Aerosoft Team [Inactive Account]

• Aerosoft

I think it is best if we combine the few topics about CTD crashes of FSX into one so we are sure not to miss important clues.

Let me first make a statement. As we got many thousands of people where it does not crash and a few where it does cause problems we are pretty sure the issue is not in the files but something on the users machine we do not expect. Now basically we expect a standard FSX with the highmem tweak or stock P3D (v2.3). So we are not debugging our code but debugging a condition that happens on the users system.

There is a surefire way to solve the issues for any user. Reformat the disk, install the OS (update, update and update some more), install the sim and install the bus. Guaranteed it will work. And basically that is all we can promise, that's what any add-on developer can promise. Its not a nice answer but if you see how some users have wrangled their simulator it's a wonder it ever worked.

"But it works fine with PMDG 777 and god knows what other aircraft!" Sure, we believe that, At the support of PMDG they hear exactly the same thing about our products. Basically it means nothing as every aircraft uses different systems in different ways. For some reason I have never been able to get the PMDG 737 to run while our busses run fine. I'm just to lazy to follow up on my own advise and reformat the disk. I know for sure it's not a problem of 737!

There are a few common reasons why FSX may crash, I will list them in order of what we encounter most

1. Weird tweaks to the FSX.cfg you found on a website. If you only knew how many problems we solve by deleting the FSX.cfg and letting FSX build a new on on startup. Around 15% of all our support is solved with this tip. Many of the 'valid' tweaks have side effects, see point 2.
  2. Running out of memory. When you add a nice aircraft (even one so light as our Airbus), a great scenery, some general add-ons for textures, a great weather tool, your online flight software etc etc, you are playing with fire. FSX is a 32 bit app and has only acces to 3.something Gb of memory. If you have 16 Gb or 8 Gb, the amount FSX can use is the same. Google VAS + FSX and you find a lot of info. We can only say that for every developer making sure that VAS use is limited is absolutely vital.
  3. C++ runtimes. These are files that are used by modules. They extend the Operating System. Unfortunately Windows does not protect them very well and it is possible to overwrite correct files with wrong ones (32 bit files on a 64 bit OS for example). There is a lot of freeware (also for FS) that is not well correct in this. We have always informed the developers when we find these issues but we're not the runtime police.
  4. Add-ons that simply do not play by the rules. These can be add-ons that replace default files of FSX without letting the user know (oh how we hate those developers) or add-ons that interfere with existing functions without it being well documented.
  5. Problems in FSX. Linked to item 4, but more often it's SP2 that not installed correctly.

Now if you encounter FSX crashing we want to know a few things:

• Your OS (is it fully updated?) Keep in mind XP is NOT supported
  • Your simulator (FSX Sp2? P3D V,23?)
  • Exactly when does it crash. What were you doing? What aircraft was loaded?
  • If there was an error message EXACTLY what did it say?
  • Please send us the error log information you can find in the windows event viewer / windows log / application

But to be honest that often does not help us a lot.

In Aerosoft FSX is not a game but a tool. Like Word for a journalist. We run it 40 hours a week on dozens of systems. And sometime it keeps on crashing. Our general rule is not to spend too much time trying to find out what causes it. Because most of the time you never find out and would have better of biting the bullet and installing a fresh sim. And when you do, keep things clean and simple. Your hobby is not maintaining an FSX installation but to fly, right?

Ok. I have the fsx.exe*32 continuing after i have shut down FSX when using the A318/19. Problem here is I have no error messages to post as FSX doesnt crash, it just refuses to shut down. I have to close the process in task manager. I have a Bojote enhanced CFG, this has produced no problems with other add ons. I have removed this and gone back to a non enhanced cfg to test. I have the same result with the vanilla cfg, fsx.exe*32 refuses to close after loading the A318/19. So, I don't think this is related to "weird CFG tweaks" as you put it.

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium X64 FSX Acceleration, hence SP2

Thats all folks.

I had the same problem when exiting the sim (FSX + SP2, no changes to fsx.cfg othen than the highmemfix = 1). I was always getting a crash to desktop. I think i found the culprit. It had something to do with the c++ redistributables i had installed in my laptop. All i did was to remove all the c++ redistributables and then reinstall them by downloading them through this site http://en.vessoft.com/software/windows/download/microsoftvc.

Now i have installed the 2005, 2008 and 2010 x86 and x64 versions of them (6 packages in total). Just them. Nothing more, nothing less.

When i exit FSX i get no crash anymore:)

• Deputy Sheriffs

I had the same problem when exiting the sim (FSX + SP2, no changes to fsx.cfg othen than the highmemfix = 1). I was always getting a crash to desktop. I think i found the culprit. It had something to do with the c++ redistributables i had installed in my laptop. All i did was to remove all the c++ redistributables and then reinstall them by downloading them through this site http://en.vessoft.com/software/windows/download/microsoftvc.

Now i have installed the 2005, 2008 and 2010 x86 and x64 versions of them (6 packages in total). Just them. Nothing more, nothing less.

When i exit FSX i get no crash anymore:)

Thanks for pointing to this from a user perspective. This is a recommendation we give very often, but unfortunately many users are reluctant to do so.

And the same applies to the .NET framework.

Just want to share my experience I uninstalled some of the addon it works find, I purchase scenery Innsbruck from aerosoft it effect frame rate and cause fsx to shut down...after I uninstalled it back to normal..imho ..the more addon we installed on the pc the more load it has to take.

I think the airbus 318/319 is quite complex aircraft hence it require a lot of resources of the pc.

vintageboy

I think you have to accept there is something wrong with your setup and consider resetting it.

Hi,

I don't think so. I saw in this forum that I'm not the one in this case...There is a problem, it's an evidence.

All my add-ons working well( PMDG, JustFlight, Realair, SSW, Milviz, VRS...).

From Aerosoft, AXE works well, Twotter hyper well, PBY_Catalina like a charm, Robin DR400 feels very nice...& my FSX doesn't close when I use A318-319 !!

And the only thing that you answer I there is something wrong with my setup? Are you serious?

It can be the case If I was the one, but this is apparently an issue for some other customers ( http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/85493-a318319-crashing-on-exit/)

Are we all aliens? :)

You have a big trouble on the supports. Put yourself in mind that we are not computer scientists.

I buy a product, I take care that my configuration is appropriate for this product. Then, it appears a problem. I realize that it is recurrent in other clients. And my setup is not good? Seriously...

I'm sorry, it's exactly in line with what is required when purchasing. (https://www.youtube.com/user/BillDebaze/about)

And please, I'd like a bit more consideration as a regular customer at Aerosoft (I spent over 4000 € in 6 years or with/for Aerosoft products).

Also, an easy trick is to take seriously my bug report, additional, the first one I ever made. If 30 people on your support say they have some kind of problem, that is about 20 times as many are concerned. This is statistical.

Best regards,

B.

I too have to close FSX using the Task Manger after flying the A318/A319 but it's useful to note that this is only the case, since I installed the replacement ECAM_2D/dll file from Page 1 of this thread.

That DLL has completly fixed my frame rate problem, but FSX does now hang on closing, with the A318/9. (There is no problem when closing FSX after running the original AXE).

I'm not too troubled by it to be honest, and will look at my own system config and the C++ modules as advised above.

Gents,

Hotfixes posted are not thoroughly tested and MAY be prone to crashes, freezes of any sort. If you use a hotfix, please be aware of such possible issues (and hence the reminder to backup) - it will be sorted out with the next update.

• Aerosoft

You have a big trouble on the supports. Put yourself in mind that we are not computer scientists.

I buy a product, I take care that my configuration is appropriate for this product. Then, it appears a problem. I realize that it is recurrent in other clients. And my setup is not good? Seriously...

Sorry you feel like that but as long as we have thousands upon thousands customers where it does run, and can guarantee and proof it works on a clean system I think my point of view that we are not debugging the files but your system is still valid.

I do understand this is nasty, but as long as we knows the files are okay (again proven thousand up thousands of times) there is simply very little we can do. For each product like this we expect between 1 and 2 % customers where it does not run. This is the same for other companies btw, the more complex the bigger these numbers. In the past we have done simple deals, bring your system to a show we are at and let us re-intall FSX and correct Windows. When the issue is then solved you pay diner. I'm glad to say we never lost that bet.

So all in all, there is just little we can do. Read my initial post here for a slightly wider explanation.

Archived