Single cycle and future reinstalls

tup61

I am thinking about buying a single cycle from NavDataPro to use with the upcoming Airbus 318/319, PFPX and EFB. I understand that you can download a single cycle ONLY during the time that cycle is active.

Now I was wondering what happens if I have to reinstall my PC after let's say 4 months. I suppose I won't be able to redownload and use the cycle that's current today. Will I be able to somehow save the cycle I download today so I can re-use it in the future? Or will I be forced to buy a new single cycle everytime I have to reinstall my PC or software?

I know a 4 or 13 cycle subscription solves this problem but I don't care at all about being up to date: I ONLY want my addons to be on the same cycle and I couldn't care less how old that cycle is. ;)

Thanks for the very quick reply! So you can download formats that you don't even own or have installed: nice! Thanks for the tip. I have no clue how this works yet but I am sure it will all become clear when I have NavDataPro installed. ;) That backup is a feature I can find in the NavDataPro interface, I presume? Or do I have to dig into some folders and manually make backups?

You're welcome, Jeroen! You "own" the cycle, not a specific format. The navdata provider does not care which planes you have or not. You are entitled to download any format, and as many formats as you like, provided they belong to the cycle you bought and this cycle is still available for download (until the next cycle starts ...).

IIRC, the navdata installer creates backups of existing cycles, but:

They will exist on the same drive that might possibly crash. So you should still run your usual backup routines (back up to a different medium like a DVD or an external drive).

• Deputy Sheriffs

I know a 4 or 13 cycle subscription solves this problem but I don't care at all about being up to date: I ONLY want my addons to be on the same cycle and I couldn't care less how old that cycle is. ;)

Be carefull with this. It is very important that addons that work together, like a flightplaner and an aircraft addon, should always have the same cycle otherwise you might get error messages because of missing/changed data.

Also be aware that once a new cycle is being released, you no longer can download the old one. So backup is mandatory!

Just to be sure (although I am pretty sure I've done it right): I installed the latest NavDataPro AIRAC 1410 into PFPX and Aivlasoft EFB. I bought a single cycle.

For PFPX the data was installed into Users/Public/Public documents/ PFPX Data/NavData

For EFB the data was installed into /Prepar3D v2/AivlaSoft/Aerosoft NavDataPro (well, actually NavDataPro installed the data directly into the Aivlasoft folder so I had to move it manually into the Aerosoft NavDataPro folder)

Both addons now show 1410 being in use.

After doing this I simply copied the two folders above unto my backup disk... and that's it, I suppose? The next time I install everything from scratch, I simply have to replace these two folders with the backup ones and I'll have AIRAC 1410 in all my addons, right? So no more need for the NavDataPro program (which won't work anyway because I only bought one cycle).

Backup sounds OK. Have you downloaded (and backed up) the dedicated Aerosoft Airbus format(s) as well?

Ok, thanks!

No, I have not downloaded the Airbus formats but that won't be nessecary because the A318/319 comes with the current 1410 cycle! ;) (Before I downloaded the AIRAC for PFPX and EFB I made sure the current cycle was the same as the one that ships with the Airbus! Of course I will check and see if that is indeed the case: if not, I will download the 1410 anyway.) Once I have bought and installed the A318/319 I will make a backup of the included navdata (if it is indeed 14010) just in case a future update will replace the cycle (which I don't think will ever happen).

I will have another look at the supported addons in NavDataPro to see if there is anything I might want to get in the future and download that data also.

Archived