External power

ptr7000

Hi guys,

Loving the aircraft. Just wondered if there were any plans to add an external power capability, as it is always preferred to start from external power than from the batteries.

Cheers,

JP

• Deputy Sheriffs

as it is always preferred to start from external power than from the batteries.

any proof of this?

Just wondering how this should work when you are bush flying in Alaska or in the heart of Africa or at any other remote places where the Twotter is usually operated. ;)

any proof of this?

Just wondering how this should work when you are bush flying in Alaska or in the heart of Africa or at any other remote places where the Twotter is usually operated. ;)

absolutely :P but if you're at glasgow airport, it's not quite so difficult.

virtually any turboprop is preferably started from external power so as to avoid battery drain etc.

it actually uses the word "preferred" in the DHC6 AFM I have.

so the external option actually works? that is to say, if i have the DC Master on with source switch in external position, the battery won't drain?

that's cool if so. would be even cooler if we could have a little GPU appear as it does on the MJC Q400.

With External power applied as You describe, You can run forever on ground power with the Twin Otter Extended.

The GPU is and will not be modelled.

Finn

With External power applied as You describe, You can run forever on ground power with the Twin Otter Extended.

Hi Finn. I have tried (accidentally) running on external power and when I switched off the generators (again accidentally) everything went off, including the engines*. You can watch this in the last two minutes of this video, as I was filming at the time!

(*Actually I'm not sure everything went off, it looks like the panel lights were still on. But the fuel pumps and GPS definitely went off.)

Hi Finn. I have tried (accidentally) running on external power and when I switched off the generators (again accidentally) everything went off, including the engines*. You can watch this in the last two minutes of this video, as I was filming at the time!

(*Actually I'm not sure everything went off, it looks like the panel lights were still on. But the fuel pumps and GPS definitely went off.)

But you were in the air Mark - don't forget that if this is all modelled properly, external power shouldn't work in the air (unless you have one hell of a determined engineer carrying your GPU for you at 10,000ft).

Very pleased that the external power logic is modelled thanks for your help.

John

For ground power to work You must be at a standstill on the ground.

To emphasise: Ground power is simulated, but the GPU cart is not modelled inorder to preserve FPS.

Finn

Archived