Dam if this was Flight Simulator

KAPTEJNLN

Yes but there are still a lot missing for it being a sim and never think it would be more than the game.. as you need weather I know clouds and such are being made as i understand. but airports worldwide is not just gona come by it´s self and so on, a long road ahead. but a interesting project.. like the AeroflyFS but stil no update if they would expand there swizz project, as that has some of the right in it, just a shame it´s only that small curently where this is the globe.. and thats the annoyeing as we see some come to life but often miss the last parts to go the hole way. but lets see what time can bring..

So it seems outerra is increasingly getting popular now? I guess if it has capability to handle complex airliners Aerosoft might want to consider developing addons for it.

Well I dont realy know how popular it is as for simmers there are stil a long way to go even you can get the A380 for it but no working systems only exterior looks nice.. but actualy as i remember there was one that posted the airbus ported over as I remember, but you stil have to program all in game systems and such and I guess it would take a long time before, you se a working plane by navigation systems and such.. but also together by all the other missing parts, so it can be some day but it´s not around the corner I guess... but only time can tell but exterior looks nice

post-32482-0-95627700-1410617983_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

seems nice, could hope it expands in a good way, but still think there is a long way to be a good flight sim. as curent itś a sandbox game like ARMA is and whit out some good people that can se the potintiale itś not gona be more than sandbox game..

As P3D 64 bit might get more attention from FSX users, but then we are back to.. who can buy P3D 64 bit, when it arrives as LM has confirmed they work on 64bit

• 1 month later...

Okay want to see more from Outerra? hav a look in my first magazine, so don´t be diserpointed by the promo picture here.

Magazine is online live from here:http://documents.pag...eyNWIEFAetJdUqA

Recomended As download (Higer quality pdf at 170DPI) https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaff47dssvl1zhj/LN_Flight_Magazine_JAN_2015.pdf?dl=0

post-32482-0-67638700-1422463994_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

That's not Outerra. That's a company with a Defense contract to produce Mil-Sim components using the engine.

On second thought, I partially agree, but since all you see presently requires the participation of the Outerra developers, and a majority of the developed software at this point will be shared between the various versions, military and otherwise. Its not really that clear a dividing line yet, to be an important issue.

http://outerra.blogspot.com/2014/12/titanim-outerra-based-military.html

What does this mean for Outerra: apart from gaining an experienced partner handling simulation aspects that we could not cover by ourselves, lots of the stuff done for Titan will also get back to the Outerra engine and our games and simulators. We are also getting access to other connected companies, especially the hardware makers, making the engine more robust and universal in the process. It also allowed us to grow, to hire more people into our office in Bratislava, and the results will be showing up soon.

Well, here is some of that stuff that will be shared in common. Initial Alpha support for multiple light sources and updated clouds. Stay tuned for more to come, and hopefully enjoy my little video!

Kxv6BTX.jpg

Coming aircraft updates http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3154.0

E9FvjK0.jpg

Okay want to see more from Outerra? hav a look in my first magazine, so don´t be diserpointed by the promo picture here.

Recomended As download (Higer quality pdf at 170DPI) https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaff47dssvl1zhj/LN_Flight_Magazine_JAN_2015.pdf?dl=0

Nice! Once I have your permission, I will share this on the Outerra forum.

I have a few friends that are working for several company's using OTE. They purchased a license to produce Defense related Military Simulations for JTAC's, Joint Fires (that's artillery), COIN Ops (Counter-Insurgency) and a few others. Outerra's involvement begins and ends with the sale of the license. Their devs aren't involved at all as it requires a TS/SCI security clearance.

To clarify what you wrote, which could be misinterpreted: no company can acquire OTE license directly for defense stuff, as long as Titan holds the exclusive license for military applications with it. Titan is a simulation platform based/wrapped around the core OT engine, and as such is fairly dependent on the base functionality we are providing. However, defense companies can only acquire Titan licenses.

Obviously, companies and projects that are using Titan may be under various security requirements, but their software subcontractors will be shielded most of the time. So, for example, while we can't get to classified data for some weapons or vehicles, we would be tasked to create a generic parametrizable simulation subsystem. I don't think this can be interpreted as not being involved at all. Maybe one time we will be just selling licenses and providing a basic support, but right now (given the early state of the engine) any projects based on OTE require our direct participation and implementation of specific requirements and systems. Consequently, any visual features and many simulation features are also a part of the OT core engine.

An interesting typo, "SADBOX" :)

To clarify what you wrote, which could be misinterpreted: no company can acquire OTE license directly for defense stuff, as long as Titan holds the exclusive license for military applications with it. Titan is a simulation platform based/wrapped around the core OT engine, and as such is fairly dependent on the base functionality we are providing. However, defense companies can only acquire Titan licenses.

Obviously, companies and projects that are using Titan may be under various security requirements, but their software subcontractors will be shielded most of the time. So, for example, while we can't get to classified data for some weapons or vehicles, we would be tasked to create a generic parametrizable simulation subsystem. I don't think this can be interpreted as not being involved at all. Maybe one time we will be just selling licenses and providing a basic support, but right now (given the early state of the engine) any projects based on OTE require our direct participation and implementation of specific requirements and systems. Consequently, any visual features and many simulation features are also a part of the OT core engine.

An interesting typo, "SADBOX" :)

Thing is, people see the screens above and think - "Hey, we must be getting this!" And that just isn't the case. It's a situation that very much resembles the ArmA community and what their userbase sees demoed in VBS. The engine has tons of potential, no doubt. However, a lot of people need a reality check with regards to what they are seeing with third-party developers on the opposite end of the spectrum. That other spectrum being professional training tools.

If flight sims weren't such a niche genre, I'm sure potential devs would be jumping all over it.

The bulk of the screens above, and some of the most impressive additions to date are from casual modders! The vast majority of the planes are by a user named Levi, assisted on the FDMs by another user named "Bomber" (More are coming)

Sophisticated scripting for planes including missile ai, tracking and much more is being developed by yet another user named Uriah509, working with others:

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3103.0

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3154.0

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3143.0

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=3144.msg33694#msg33694

Meanwhile, yet another user, Acetone has singlehandedly constructed the Talkeetna demo scenery, and is working on more.

Being that the current Flight and physics engines are fully open source, and that there is already a burgeoning modding community at this point, I'm not certain all that much of a reality check is necessary at this early date, especially as the developers have pointed out here and numerous times elsewhere that many significant developments will be applicable to the base program as well.

Cameni wrote on the forum:

Features that we are making as a part of the engine are generally ours to reuse in our games and simulators, with the exception of some possibly classified stuff (some interfaces or data). This includes stuff like weather, various effects, some procedural stuff etc that are developed initially or out of the order for Titan, though we may sometimes have to re-create data, if the original ones came from licensed sources.

Models are made by Titan, but they are willing to share with us some of them. For example, the MiG was actually made for Titan, and shared with OT. There will be some other models coming from there, mainly some types that we do not have. One of them are tanks, but we need to implement track animation first.

Now, there may indeed come a time when Outerra and its military versions part company in a large way, but there's little broad evidence of that happening right now, and in fact, much evidence to the contrary, at this point.

If flight sims weren't such a niche genre, I'm sure potential devs would be jumping all over it.

And thats actually why I'm so hopeful! If Outerra were solely a Flightsim, then I'd actually have serious doubts about its future. Its precisely because the Outerra engine has the ability to be so much more that I think they have a good chance. Flight simming (hopefully) will just be dragged along for the ride.

I think thats a good thing. I wouldnt give them a prayer in the current market, if they were solely a flight sim.

• Aerosoft

I do love Outerra but there is nothing in that video that can't be done a lot better in FSX or P3D. It's nice to see some cross fertilisation but not like this.

It's a simplified aircraft on a extremely basic airport in in a non descript hilly landscape. And if the Nighthawk can handle those AoA's I'll eat my hat.

I do love Outerra but there is nothing in that video that can't be done a lot better in FSX or P3D. It's nice to see some cross fertilisation but not like this.

It's a simplified aircraft on a extremely basic airport in in a non descript hilly landscape. And if the Nighthawk can handle those AoA's I'll eat my hat.

But!

Everything starts somewhere, and Outerra has had a long battle. First, it was said that orbit-to-centimeter level details were not possible in a usable way. Then, it was that it would all be fogged out to keep the framerate up. Then, it was that it could not handle large numbers of objects......

Its been quite a ride. :unsure:

As Outerra has moved forward, and overcome each obstacle, (recently with increasing speed) the bar has kept moving, but Outerra has proven willing to keep right on reaching for that bar. Most recently with the addition of lighting, then clouds, and now with the first attempts at MFD displays, all appearing within about a month of one another, with more to come.

After years of fairly glacial growth, these developments represent steadily firming ground beneath this projects feet, and cause for some optimism.

For myself, I've always said that I would consider Outerra to "have arrived" when it could approximate the functionality of Vanilla FSX. (before years of additions by dozens of third parties) This would represent a firm foundation to build on, and its never seemed more clear than now, that they have both the perseverance and technical ability to reach that goal.

I wish them luck!

And, I would not be astonished to find Outerra in Aerosofts store, one day. :-)

EDIT: Ouch!!! I see what you mean about the graphics, though. Levi doesn't have the best machine out there, and I think he turned things down for his movie. And yeah, I see how that could leave an impression, so for balance, here is the exact same airport on my system with things turned up a bit. Still steady at about 100fps.

screen_1424810123_zpsqoczwoj8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For a long time, its been very hard to do Outerra videos, because the built in recorder was a bit funky, working best with lower in-sim settings, and most other recorders had issues with openGL. That means its been a bit difficult to portray to people exactly what it could all look like in motion and how smooth it could be even with higher settings until recently. Now that Shadowplay works correctly with Outerra, perhaps we will begin seeing more videos of that potential that the enthusiasts and modders working with the developers have been seeing.

Outerra with no AA, and medium-high settings. Incoming is clickable cockpit support.

Archived