Night Environment UK & California V1.1 problems with P3d v2.3

spencerp

I've been happily using version 1 of Night Environment with P3d v2.3 and loved the way the lights were visible over greater distances than the Orbx ones. When I realised earlier tonight that the download files had been changed to version 1.1 I eagerly installed them expecting things to look at least as good but with even better performance. However, somethings gone wrong somewhere as the new version of the lights aren't as visible over distance as the previous version, or at least not at my end. I uninstalled and put the old version back and everything was great again. Has something changed with the new version or am I doing something wrong somewhere?

as far as visible distance; no changes have been made to the models other than improving their performance significantly!

can you provide any further insight to what you’re experiencing?

did you try with HDR turned off?

anyone else has a similar experience?

Hi Chris, I had HDR on all the time as I found with version 1 this enhanced the distant visibility. Won't have a chance to experiment further until the weekend but I will try switching it off and see what difference it makes. Would also be interested to hear about other people's experience

Thank you Spencer, looking forward to hearing your results

with previous texture versions; the light may have been little brighter

as the textures weren’t being interpreted correctly by P3D engine

the textures and models used with FSX are different for P3D (base folder)

most likely you’ve been using those under P3D up to now

i am interested as well to know if anyone is having similar issues

Hi again. Good news in one sense, have established that if HDR is selected the NE lights can not be seen. Switch HDR off and they appear. Once visible the new lights aren't as bright as the first version which is a bit disappointing for me! Performance does seem better though. I hope you can find a way of displaying the lights with HDR enabled and that also makes them as impressive as they first looked. Thanks. Paul

Sorry, forgot to mention that the installer is faulty too. As others have reported you get errors on launching p3d. Easily corrected by manually editing the scenery library though

Hi again. Good news in one sense, have established that if HDR is selected the NE lights can not be seen. Switch HDR off and they appear.

Hi Paul

something isn’t right there;

NE lights should be visible with or without HDR! in the same visibility radius!

there may be something else interfering in your setup

can you give me some more details please

Hi Chris. The HRD switch works with both California and UK and all the different NE layers. I'm using Orbx NCA and England scenery. My p3d settings are mid range but I've no real idea which, if any, could have a bearing on what's happening. That said I'm sure I can't be the only person that's applied V1.1 so it's odd no one else has raised the issue! Your scenery is right at the top of my library. What other information would help? Paul

I’m drawing blanks atm as for the root of the issue; but that’s normal

the info you’ve provided is helpful; but requires some processing time on my end; i see no lead atm

the only lead i have atm is; it’s possibly something related to your specific setup

we should have heard from other users by now if others were having similar issue

I’ll keep asking questions until we get to the root of this

did you do a clean full install or upgrade at some point (P3D wise)?

did you try to rebuild shader cache?

In FSX the lights are significantly lower. I can't tell if it's Orbx Lights or NE.

I believe there is something wrong with the updates and Emi is looking into it. Scenery isn't loading or missing and things (textures) are scrambled! Uninstall and wait for the fix perhaps?

Thx,

Ken

we're looking into this Ken;

this thread doesn’t seem related to the same issue you’re having; this is P3D HDR visibility issue

possibly related to Paul's specific Sim

did you manually correct the path to P3D base folder after your installation?

if this folder doesn’t load/mapped correctly; you will get mixed lighting systems

(NE nightmap without the matching 3D lighting)

Morning Chris, got all excited thinking that deleting the shader cache might do the trick but sadly no change. I did a fresh install of v2.3 and haven't reinstalled much beyond my orbx scenery.will continue to experiment but I'm stumped

GM Paul,

I’m sure it’s something very simple were overlooking or some third party add-on not sitting right

we all hate it when it happens; we will trace it eventually

can you uncheck non default scenery and test if this still happening

if your uncomfortable unchecking/deactivating your current set up; its ok

we can wait for Monday for AS R&D take a deeper look in your setup

Paul, I have one other suggestion you can try

I’ve never tried it in P3D; but it works for FSX whenever it gets messed up

Inside -> C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

You will find among other files; three folders -

Facilities, SceneryCache, SceneryIndexes

In FSX when these are deleted; the cache is rebuild and correct many anomalies

I believe the same is true with P3D

Inside -> C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

You will find among other files; three or two of the following folders -

Facilities, SceneryCache, SceneryIndexes

Delete these folders and let P3D rebuild

(you may want to back these up just in case)

Sadly deleting these folders doesn't help. Like you I suspect it's something simple but I can't think what! Although no one else has reported the problem, nobody's actually said HDR is working for them - perhaps they don't use these forums!

Try to remove all NE entries from the scenery library and then add them again manually. This fixed the issue for me.

Hi Emi,

Done that a few times now with no effect. All very strange, everything looks great but as soon as I select HDR the NE lights completely disappear!!! just a thought, and excuse my ignorance if I'm way off the mark, but is it possible that an aircraft add on or bit of scenery might have overwritten a file that NE uses when HDR is enabled? Once upon a time I used to change a bmp somewhere to make runway lights and things look better and I'm using REX which can do the same thing. Are there some files somewhere that I can check to see if they are the same as you're using?

UPDATE! Some success at last. Might be nothing more than a coincidence but I launched REX and changed the runway lights etc back to Default. Started P3d up and I now have NE lights whether HDR is selected or not! HOWEVER, the lights are less bright when HDR is enabled and this is the opposite effect to what I was seeing with version 1. Does this point to any clues as to what might be happening?

Glad to hear those magic words Paul :)

the light brightness you saw before in P3D with NE lights were not right

the lights were glowing too much; this is texture related issues we had to work on

if you look up close you will notice (under P3D v2.2 and earlier) that

the model planes are visible in the shape of a triangle; to the naked eye from a distance

unlike the way they work under FSX, we can tweak the brightness if needed

but the way it worked before wasn’t right; and your factoring undesirable effect when bringing up previous releases

Hi again, after a fair amount of tweaking my monitor display settings, gamma, brightness etc I'm pretty happy with the results. Yes, with HDR switched on your lights are slightly less bright but the difference is not so obvious. I noticed the triangular shape of the old lights and thought they looked odd but I do prefer their brightness. Maybe one day it will be possible to have a tool that allows users to adjust the brightness and even the colour. In the meantime though I'm very happy with the stunning light show that you've created.

Thank you for your kind words Paul;

you’ve been very patience through this little ordeal

the light brightness is something we control; and since you brought it up

i will give it a thought; technically speaking it’s not a complicated feature to add

it’s funny how things work out; so many of these "undesirable views"

actually lead us to many new discoveries and developments

Archived