VC shadows

cro_mig_21

Hello! Newbie here on the forums...First off, I must say that the lightning has instantly become one of my most flown military jets! Just pure british "charm" and the model is superb, especialy all the rivets that are so subtle but present (just as it should be)..The only thing I am missing (but that does not distract me for flying it frequently) are VC shadows..I have tried with Steve´s DX10 fixer and then read on other site that it can not have VC shadows..I think that would really make the beast more imerse..so as a suggestion could there be a posibility to do an update or a patch for that? Or at least it could be implemented in the upcoming f6?

Best regards!

Nikola

Hello Nikola!

The VC shadows were great in P3D! As for VC shadows in FSX... Well, I think most of users don't have them enabled because they are not that accurate and consume a lot of performance.

Let's wait to see wha Dave (wingman5) has to say about this.

Bernardo

Hi Nicola

Glad you are enjoying the "Frightning" :0)

I'm not a DX10 user so you are going to have to help me a bit here , I have had a quick trawl through the net and came across this piece of info............http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/76260-no-cockpit-shadows-in-dx10-mode/.............. " Add the shadows to the VC models with DX10Toolbox.exe "

Where is it you read that it "can not have VC shadows" ... maybe I can work backwards from there. I know the shadows show in P3D .

Chhrs

Dave R

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi, Dave and Nicola

As far as I remember, the tool sets a "bit" tha ussualy comes zeroed (or undefined) in the VC .mdl file.

Think also the cabin must be modelled in a certain way to have VC shadows.

You can find more details or inspiration here...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421981-vc-shadows-and-pmdg-777/#entry2808922

Regards

Hi Nicola

Glad you are enjoying the "Frightning" :0)

I'm not a DX10 user so you are going to have to help me a bit here , I have had a quick trawl through the net and came across this piece of info............http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/76260-no-cockpit-shadows-in-dx10-mode/.............. " Add the shadows to the VC models with DX10Toolbox.exe "

Where is it you read that it "can not have VC shadows" ... maybe I can work backwards from there. I know the shadows show in P3D .

Chhrs

Dave R

Thank you for the response everyone!

The thing is that I have tried adding VC shadows via DXToolbox but at first it told me that the aircraft model is legacy so I turned on the legacy shadow option in the DX10fixer and tried again to manualy add shadows in the DX10Toolbox...it failed to do so and instead I got this info "Cannot find SMAP Section in Model-cannot process"...I repeat, it is not even close for me not to fly the lightning because of this but it`s I guess the "got use to it" effect cause it really makes a big difference to the sim experience, especially with Steve`s DX10 tweaks..really makes the shadows look good in my opinion...and I do not have any problems with other addons...have put shadows in the twotter, katana, bronco...

Nikola

Hi, Dave and Nicola

As far as I remember, the tool sets a "bit" tha ussualy comes zeroed (or undefined) in the VC .mdl file.

Think also the cabin must be modelled in a certain way to have VC shadows.

You can find more details or inspiration here...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421981-vc-shadows-and-pmdg-777/#entry2808922

Regards

Ha .... good info ,

If I understand it right for the DX10 to show cockpit shadows the materials have to be double sided ( obviously not required for P3D !) , and although this is a performance hit if you are running DX10 it is minimal otherwise . But if that is the case it should not be too difficult to convert the model .

I'll have a look at it and get back to you Nikola

Ha .... good info ,

If I understand it right for the DX10 to show cockpit shadows the materials have to be double sided ( obviously not required for P3D !) , and although this is a performance hit if you are running DX10 it is minimal otherwise . But if that is the case it should not be too difficult to convert the model .

I'll have a look at it and get back to you Nikola

Thank you for the effort Dave :) If it helps..the fixer also has an "force VC walls" option meaning "Force single sided materials to shade VC" which is turned on..what I also wanted to ask..when you write P3D do you mean P3D 1.4 or 2.0 or higher? Does 1.4 have VC shading on addon aircaft?

Archived