Mathijs Kok

Jet Thunder: Falklands

77 posts in this topic

It's been a while we reported on this project but that was mainly because it was more or less restarted with a new game engine. But development starts to show results and I hope to share some of that in the months to come. The game engine is modern and far more capable than FSX, so graphically this should be a fine product.

Jet Thunder: Falklands is a stand alone simulation (so not an add-on) focussing on the air war over the Falklands during the short war between the UK and Argentina in 1982. In this conflict the UK Harriers protected the fleet and did a lot of close air support while the Argentine fighter/bombers tried to sink the British ships. While humanly horrible as any war, seen from a aviation technologie point of view it was very interesting. The simulation contains the complete island, all the ships, all the aircraft types etc to your desktop. Most definitely not a game, it will be a complex simulation that will require you to read manuals and train.

More information will follow but let me introduce you to the most beautiful aircraft in the simulation, the Super Étendard. An aircraft that also saw combat over Iraq and Iran but that came known to a wider audience as the launching platform for the Exocet missile that was shown to be very effective against the Royal Navy ships.

post-43-0-87637100-1401982368_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-63917800-1401982370_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-16641100-1401982372_thumb.jpg

Ohh, very nice.

One word of notice however: That's a Super Étendard.

A long awaited simulation for me.

Wow this is one that I had completely forgotten about.

No shots of the Harrier? Back in the day it was about the Harrier and the Pucara, with more aircraft to follow, if my memory serves.

Oh, no...

The GHOST sim come back here? Cant belive! ; >>> .

Im waiting for the next news about Fighter Ops ; ).

btw.

new shots on FB https://www.facebook.com/JetThunder?sk=wall&filter=1 .

Idea was very good but sorry, I cant trust again and again and again for this author of JT (from 2006?) [not Aerosoft]. How many questions in JT corner stayed without answers till now. Ok, my fingers are crossed (like always for the new project!) but simply I dont expect nothing to dont be disappointed in the end.

The clouds you see are very basic textures, will be worked on.

post-43-0-69613300-1402042528_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-48673900-1402042530_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-96753900-1402042531_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-47592800-1402042533_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-89317900-1402042534_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-25504700-1402042536_thumb.jpg

my pleasure :)

I plan to add this one to the flight sims we'll be supporting in our website.

Not there yet but the volumetric clouds are a lot better now! They play a major role over the Falklands btw as most aircraft did not have onboard air to air radar. Almost all combat was 100% visual (and that's how we like it). Also note the self shadowing in the first image, needs bit sharpening, but it gives a great sense of depth.

post-43-0-49104100-1402334567_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-88770200-1402334568_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-36946900-1402334570_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear this sim is still alive!

Looking forward to it, and good luck with the release.

This is great and all but why not make it for DCS instead? What's going to be in Jet Thunder: Falklands that's not in DCS? Exept the Falkland lol.. :P

This is great and all but why not make it for DCS instead? What's going to be in Jet Thunder: Falklands that's not in DCS? Exept the Falkland lol.. :P

The fact we want a standalone sim and not an add-on. Comparing the two is comparing apples with Tesla coils.

The fact we want a standalone sim and not an add-on. Comparing the two is comparing apples with Tesla coils.

Okay sure I get that, but will you continue making add-ons for this "Jet Thunder" or is the Falkland the only aircraft in the sim, ever?

it is great to have some variety - I see one of the strengths of this new sim the fact that it is not DCS.

Of course the Argentine aircraft need a base to fly from and that was at Tierra del Fuego, Rio Grande.

post-43-0-75902600-1402471892_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-44839400-1402471894_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-99645400-1402471895_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-47796600-1402471897_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-45926800-1402471900_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-96582200-1402471898_thumb.jpg

Uhmmmmm.......any chance to have options to control the British Fleet there? Would be interesting being able to set heading+speed or asign preassumed tracks to the major British bases, thus the HMS Hermes and HMS Invincible + scorts.

Cheers

dcs: malvinas would be great

So ask them to do it. I already responded on this so let close this side topic.

For now DCS is restricted to the Caucasus region of course. And it does not have a round world model etc. In these aspects it is a rather limited simulation engine. Great fun though!

Uhmmmmm.......any chance to have options to control the British Fleet there? Would be interesting being able to set heading+speed or asign preassumed tracks to the major British bases, thus the HMS Hermes and HMS Invincible + scorts.

Cheers

Why would that help when you fly missions?

Yes, JT is back and looking good :) Thanks for the update Mathijs.

Great great news here.

Is there any plan to introduce Mirage III in this sim ? Many simmers - specially French ones - are fantasizing about this marvellous little delta plane. :)

Nice to hear that this project is still in the works!

What`s the new engine? Is it Microsoft ESP?

Nice to hear that this project is still in the works!

What`s the new engine? Is it Microsoft ESP?

No, it uses a real modern game engine, the ESP engine is from the last century and really not usable.