A few questions about engine management

Hi everyone,

I've spent a good few hours flying the Otter now, and I have a few questions:

- What's the bleed air system used for? I know what it is, but I don't know when I should turn it on or off.

- On the final page of the checklist book there are two gauges. I don't usually look at them when I'm flying as I am watching the T5 gauge and the torque pressure gauge on the main panel. Am I right in thinking that the blue line on the checklist gauge represents the point at which my panel T5 gauge would enter the red zone?

- If I'm flying in icy conditions, what systems should I activate? Should I turn the intake/prop anti-ice on for the duration of the flight? The bleed air? I ask because I was recently flying in icy conditions with no anti-ice systems on and both of my engines suddenly quit.

Thanks a lot!

Bleedair is used for cabin heating and de-icing boots on the edged of the wings and stabiliser.

The blue marks on those two torque gauges indicates max allowable continious torque. When needles goes past them the needles will turn red and after some time the engines will fail. The time before failure depends on how much above the blue marks the needles has gone.

The center spot indicates T5 and changes color from green through amber to red. It's ok to be amber but You should monitor T5 closely.

Basicly You want to see white torque needles and green to amber T5 for safe engine management.

When icing occurs, the following should be turned on:

-Pitot heat (i have allways that turned on)

- Propeller heat

- Windscreen heat

- Engine inlet heat

- De-icing boots

-Engine inertial seperators extended

Watch the amount of icing on the same checklist page where You found the two torque gauges.

Finn

-Engine inertial seperators extended

Finn

Sorry for noob question. Overhead you have a switch to push up or down. this switch do not stay down or up. How do I know how far they are extended retracted? or am I using the complete wrong switch?

the manual just say when it is extended, it will show

"check that the EXT shows on the “Doll’s Eye” Indicators"

Sorry I cant seem to find the EXT.

can u please post pic.?

It's actual hard to check.

Click and hold down the switch (it´s springloaded to center) for appr. 10 sec.

On the main panel beside each torque gauges (and below the two red fuel shutoff switches there are two black squares.

These are the "Dollseyes". Normally they are black, but when the inertial seperators are extended You will see "EXT" inside them.

Finn

Also note that since they are moved by pneumatical actuators, bleedair for the respective engine must be turned On for them to move.

Finn

Archived