MarcelFelde

PC-6 B2-H4 'Turbo Porter' 4X Preview

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:44 PM, Greg Skydive said:

Héllo Marcel ,so how was the presentation of the porter ?was it acclaimed?

The porter had to share the attention with the CRJ on one PC, and on the other one with the Austrian West scenery. Both wonderfull add-ons and that meant hard competition. ;)

Just some hours before leaving for the FS-conference I had a breakthrough with the simulation of the propeller. But it was too late to complete that so I had to skip further development and implemented a very old version of the propeller physics. But luckily no one recognized that in Berlin.

The new physics are now in. Next item to work on will be the propeller regulation. It has been completed months before but needs to be reimplemented and attached to the Porters oil system and levers and I hope it will work well with the physics.

For testing I did add a calibration function for the throttle. I hope we can ship this feature with the Porter. You can set different positions on the joysticks throttle lever: Full, Idle, Reverse start, Full Reverse. It paid off in Berlin as the joystick there had notches. And with reverse power, we mastered to land in the Olympia Stadium of the Berlin scenery. And we didn't touch the opposing goal area of the soccer field. ;) 

Meanwhile, a nice video I found today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522Q-4RuxhE

• Upvote 4

Ok that sounds great .but you seem to add more and more features that take you time...I think this is a project we won't get soon !

good job

Hello Marcel Is it possible that you post new pictures or videos of the Porter ? I am very curious what it looks like now .

Greez Daniel

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:06 PM, highfly80 said:

I am very curious what it looks like now .

Not very different. I am doing minor modelling or texturing work if I have no concentration left for the PT6A. But only details in the last weeks.

Highlight of the last days is that the Beta Ring, Beta Arm and Beta Valve are working correctly now, depending on the settings in the config file for the rigging. And that means correct propeller pitch changes depending on the defined Cam and Power Lever when alpha regulation is not active.

A problem at the moment is still the alpha regulation. The flyweight governor is working and changes prop pitch, but the RPM can escalate in some situations.

I would love to do videos but as I wrote in the past that the different solutions didn't work on my machine. I could of course search and test other possibilities or visit someone with a more actual graphic card - but all this is consuming too much time... :-(

• Upvote 1

Question:

I am now using different ways to control switches, knobs, levers and rotaries. Like in my other developments:

- Flipping switches: Left click

- Switches with more than 2 positions: Left Click decrease, right click increase position

- Levers with positions: Left Click decrease, right click increase position

- Rotaries with notches: Left Click decrease, right click increase position

- Rotaries with no notches: Drag

- Levers: Drag

I am thinking about another solution: Drag everything!

- Moving a switch up: Drag the switch upwards.

- Moving a guard up:  Drag the Guard upwards.

- Moving a switch one position down: Drag the switch downwards, a little.

- Moving a switch two positions down: Drag the switch further downwards.

- Turning the rotary of a transponder: Drag a little right for increasing the code one number. Drag more for two or more number changes.

This would mean you don't have to learn or remember which mouse button or mouse movement is needed for which kind of control. Just intuitive move the control element in the right direction.

I did already implement much mouse dragging on the exterior for checking and maintaining the aircraft, so this would be another argument to use this in the cockpit too.

It is a low priority item so I will be happy to read some opinions (this shall not be a poll) before making a decision. But if I will change this, it has to be done prior to release.

Personally I like a mix. Rotating knobs and things like guards drag, switches click. And to have the option to use the mousewheel for rotating knobs as well.

RealAir had a good approach on this is my eyes, as they offer both the click and the drag option via the configurator.

Dialing frequencies for example is left click and drag for whole numbers, right click and drag for the decimals- or use clicks or mousewheel.

This would make everyone happy, however I cannot tell the work effort behind this.

And reading what massive effort you put into the engine simulation, it would just be insane not to port this into other models as well later on. All this work for just one addon would be a big missed chance for the FS community.

I'd prefer not to have draggable switches - makes things too complex and time consuming.  Dragging works great for things like trim because the mouse is an analog movement, same as moving a trim tab - vs. a switch, which is a digital, usually binary operation, like clicking a mouse - having to drag would just feel wrong.  I'd say guards should be the same - click to open, click to close.  I wouldn't mind the right/left click for multi-position switches, same for the transponder.  Radio freqs would be a little complicated though - probably no good options other than click-drag, or right/left click on the numbers rather than the dial to do integer part/decimal part independently.  I like MatzeH84's suggestion of using the mouse wheel for discrete adjustments like that (radio/xpdr/instruments, even though the last one's not really discrete), but I have this feeling like that would be quite a bit more work to implement than click/drag.

The mousewheel for rotaries is there, no matter which option I will choose for mouse clicking or dragging.

But I don't want to have both solutions - clicking and dragging - choosable as this means more code to maintain. And for the PC-6 that are already nearly 18.000 lines just for the animations and controlls in the model.

The problem is for example a radio. You have to a few rotaries. They look the same. But some of them have to be used by dragging (no steps) others with left/right click (steps). That is much more complicated than dragging every rotary. And it is also more intuitive, as in real life you won't push or touch the rotary with your fingertip, you will turn it by moving the knob in one or the other direction. :)

Definitely would prefer clicking for a simply reason:

This is what you do with nearly all other aircrafts. And although it might be a nice and with this aircraft more logical way, it would be simply confusing, as most users will not only fly the Porter.

Personally, I would want to be able to click a switch, because in the real world, you just hit it once, not drag it, to a position. But for things like guards, the dragging option might be better so you can't accidentally click a guard open. Just my opinion, though!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I have to say that I find dragging to be really fiddly on some FS aircraft so clicking (although less realistic) would get my vote.

Looking forward to seeing the PC-6.

Dragging for rotaries should be fine, plus the option to use the mousewheel. But everything else should be a click.

Hello Marcel 

dragging everything seems to be complicated as it is not easy to do with the mouse : for exemple ,with track ir use ,you have to find the knob then aim it with the mouse and finally direct your mouse in the right direction while you hold the right or left click .has to be tested.

mouse wheel is easy as you don't move the mouse ,and clicking seems to be natural.

its on your hand as only you know what difficulties it brings to you as a coder .

Greg, I do believe it is easier by dragging with Track IR.

For example: If you want to adjust a transponder code, you have just to hit the knob once. With mouse wheel or left/right clicking you have to hit it several times. This can be hard with TrackIR or in turbulences. With dragging, you just have to hit the knob once and hold the mouse button and then draw the mouse horizontally oder vertically. Of course that means we should better use 50 pixels for switching one number instead of 5 pixels. ;)

CodyB: Try to hit a real switch with your finger tip: Nothing will happen. You have to move it upwards or downwards. And most real aviation switches need more force to flip than those switches we know from our FS Hardware. They have to be more robust to not being damaged and should not be flipped without intention. And they cost 100 times as much. ;)

• Upvote 1

I don´t see the problem either by dragging we have seen that lately in X-plane and there was also sceptical opinions about it... But I think it turns out better then expected but of cause in X-plane we had to find a solution other the mouse wheel as itś for zoom level. (sadly) yes some got solutions but there you hit the problem by turbulence where drag works better.. But I think this is the normal reaction that happens when someone goes in a different direction than what we are use to..  

On 2.4.2016 at 23:56, MatzeH84 sagte:

Dragging for rotaries should be fine, plus the option to use the mousewheel. But everything else should be a click.

This would also be the preferred option for me :)

Hi Marcel,

my Voice goes for: Dragging

To me it seems the most realistic way and i would really like it, that there is no difference between rotaries or switches.

Absolutly cool idea!

Greetings out of EDDW, Tristan

PS: ....ich will das Ding endlich fliegen!!!!!!    >;O)

As far as 2 position switches go, I would prefer just left clicking them, for 3 position switches either way would be ok, but for anything with more than 3 positions, I would just use the mousewheel because it is more precise :D

Hi Marcel and all.

I have been enthusiastically and patiently (my first post) following this topic for well over a year and hope that this brilliant production will be released soon.

I am a licenced and instrument rated pilot, although sadly, retired from flying. I owned an IFR equipped Piper Archer 2 for many years.

For what its worth, I can recommend to you Marcel's  proposed dragging procedure as being by far the most realistic and satisfying way to operate switches etc. in this or any aircraft sim.

Best regards to all,

Bill

Hi ,

a little question for Marcel : as I can imagine your are finishing the porter ,do you remember the very first time you start modeling it ?can you tell us what part it was and when ?I guess 2011 not ?