Engine shutdown - Feathering and unfeathering

Panxua

Hi Finn,

A small worry about ending a flight, and shutting down the engines.

The plane is at the gate, and brakes are on. Shutting down all appliances. Before shutting down the engines, feathering the propellers, Then right click on condition levers, and the engines are shutting down.

And, at this very moment, both propellers levers come automatically in a full forward position. Which is rather surprising...

Any comment about this peculiar behaviour ? Is this a bug ?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

I guess that You have seen this behaviour on the float or amphibian versions...

On the float/amphibian versions that are fitted with startlocks, the propellers should not be feathered, thus the propeller levers should be kept in full forward position during shutdown.

If You bring the propller levers into feather and You shut down the engines, then the propeller lever is animated into full forward position.

This is a limitation of our startlock simulation, since FSX knows nothing about startlocks, but as told above, the propeller levers should not be moved into feathered position neither before, during or after engine shutdown (alos not doen in reallife on startlock equipped Twin Otters).

In the other versions, i.e Wheeled, Tundrawheel and ski, the propellers will always feather, regardless of Propeller lever position.

Some airlines bring the propeller levers into feathered position before shutdown, while others don´t. The only real reason I see, is that the propeller and thus the gearbox will come to a hault sooner after shutdown and thus reduce wear, since oilpressure will drop during shutdown.

Finn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure but i think theres a check box on the first page of the checklist (SHIFT+2) on the same page where you can select cold and dark where you can select or deselect a check box saying to have the propellers in feather or not at start up/shutdown. If you choose for them to stay feathered the prop levers stay in the feathered position when you shut down the aircraft. Hope I've made sense.

By the way love this aircraft

@ChrisW

Many thanks for your advice/remark.

I'm going to check the point ASAP and revert to the community to see if it solves the question...

@ChrisW

A short trial on my newly installed Gibraltar Airport this afternoon. Checked that the mention "feathered at startup" is checked (which was already the case...) and at the time of shutting off the engines, the prop lever goes ahead !!

Indeed funny !

Happy flying.

I have now looked further into it and I think I found the course for the issue.

You can try this fix:

Hotfix3_beta01.zip

Simply unzip into Your main FSX folder and overwrite the file mentioned.

The fix is rather untested - so if any of You would do me the favour and test proper functioning by running through the entire checklist, then I would be gratefull.

Best regards

Finn

Hi Finn!

Thank you very much for the time you dedicated to this problem. I'm now downloading the file and I will, of course, revert to you as soon as I find time to check again the issue.

Have a nice day.

Hi Finn! (Again...)

File is now installed and... It WORKS !!!!

Quick starting up of both engines, quick trial of feathering and unfeathering, feathering both props, shutting down of both engines. Prop levers remain in place !

Big success !

Thank you again for your dedication.

Archived