Night Environment change of plan

• Aerosoft

Sometimes projects do not work out as expected. Getting the price point and feature set right is hard. And clearly with Night Environment we did not got it all right and it’s better to change things as fast as possible. So here is the new plan.

We will start with four sections:

• NE-Benelux (Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg) at €10.50 (will be available early next week)
  • NE-German at €12.10
  • NE-Scandinavia (Sweden/Norway/Finland) at €10.50
  • NE-California at €12.10

All prices are without EU VAT (so it will be €12.95 and €14.95 for EU customers. Existing customers of NE-Belgium or NE-Netherlands will get a copy of NE-Benelux as a replacement.

Technically there will be some tweaks as well in responce to customers suggestion. Keep those coming btw. However, keep in mind there is no such thing as a database of streetlights. What is used is a database of roads. Now clearly there are streets that have (at the highest level of Night Environment settings) lights in FSX while they do not have lights in the real world. We feel this still works fine as lights at night are always near roads. Houses, cars, petrol stations, advertisements etc they all line up along roads. Of course when you feel it is still too much you can always go down a level!

The Berlin demo is still available (it's updated to version 1.10 to fix a few issues btw) at:

http://mirror-de.aerosoft.com/demo/AS_NIGHT-ENVIROMENT-BERLIN-DEMO_FSX.zip or

http://mirror-eu.aerosoft.com/demo/AS_NIGHT-ENVIROMENT-BERLIN-DEMO_FSX.zip

Hope this clears up some of the issues!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank heavens you changed your business approach to this product. The way it was I would never ever buy any of your releases. Ok, maybe one or two but not each and every country. My guess is that you would never finish the whole project considering the profit that would be made. So, some parts of the world would be fully lighted and others wouldn't (I'm imagining, for example, Africa and parts, if not all, of South America).

Hmm, well Mathijs, I really respect your judgement most of the time, but crikey, I'm failing to get to grips with this product. So how much is this actually going to cost me for all of Europe? Which is where I fly my NGX most of the time. I mean, come on, let's get real. :blink:

So, I'm sure I've missed something and am more than happy to be corrected. But do I assume Aerosoft will be continuing to roll out this product for all countries? So if I want to maintain any kind of continuity across the European countries I fly, which include the UK, Scandinavia, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France, Italy, Greece, Portugal and Spain, then it will cost me in the region (excuse the pun :D) of 150 euros, about £130 for some night lighting! Then of course there's the US! Someone please tell me I have this wrong. Cheers...

OK, I see my concerns have of course been posted elsewhere. Anyway, FWIW I still fail to understand the pricing plan with this product. Cheers...

So, I'm sure I've missed something and am more than happy to be corrected. But do I assume Aerosoft will be continuing to roll out this product for all countries? So if I want to maintain any kind of continuity across the European countries I fly, which include the UK, Scandinavia, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France, Italy, Greece, Portugal and Spain, then it will cost me in the region (excuse the pun :D) of 150 euros, about £130 for some night lighting! Then of course there's the US! Someone please tell me I have this wrong. Cheers...

OK, I see my concerns have of course been posted elsewhere. Anyway, FWIW I still fail to understand the pricing plan with this product. Cheers...

I wonder that too, since California is just one of the 50 US states.Are we looking at 50 products here?

• Aerosoft

I wonder that too, since California is just one of the 50 US states.Are we looking at 50 products here?

And a full coverage of the whole USA would be about 100 gigabytes. We are just assuming people will buy where they fly and we never planned to cover the whole world.

I am not 100% sure why this is an issue, There are many products that cover a country or state, for example with mesh or sat images and I never hear these kind of comments or questions about those products.

It is sometimes strange how people want it all. Like when a highly detailed and realistic aircraft gets released and people complain that not all variants have been included (thanks to this demand, the AIrbusX product is getting extended down from the 320 instead up to the 330 and beyond......in the shorter term anyway). Now we have a great night lighting add-on and someone complains about the possible cost of covering the whole US, I mean, who on earth would fly to all 50 states in darkness? And just how long would that take?

Strange.

Anyway, since getting O**X England, I can't say I've been anywhere else........so some better night lighting would be nice, please Mathijs :clapping_s:

And a full coverage of the whole USA would be about 100 gigabytes. We are just assuming people will buy where they fly and we never planned to cover the whole world.

I am not 100% sure why this is an issue, There are many products that cover a country or state, for example with mesh or sat images and I never hear these kind of comments or questions about those products.

Hi Mathijs, as I mentioned and I'm sure I'm not on my own with this one, I fly regularly throughout Europe, different countries at different times. Yesdterday I flew Bari to Faro, so that's two countries straight off! Tonight I'll be flying Bristol to Madrid, another two! So I don't think my surprise, or that of others is unrealistic. However, I wish you well with the product. I may download later to have a looksy.

It is sometimes strange how people want it all. Like when a highly detailed and realistic aircraft gets released and people complain that not all variants have been included (thanks to this demand, the AIrbusX product is getting extended down from the 320 instead up to the 330 and beyond......in the shorter term anyway). Now we have a great night lighting add-on and someone complains about the possible cost of covering the whole US, I mean, who on earth would fly to all 50 states in darkness? And just how long would that take?

Strange.

Anyway, since getting O**X England, I can't say I've been anywhere else........so some better night lighting would be nice, please Mathijs :clapping_s:

Hi Paul, of course no one flies across all states in one flight, but they may fly across several different states on a regular basis. I fly regulalry from KHPX to KLAX and across to KLAS, that's three states and that works out at about 45 euros, about £38! I really don't think I'm on my own with this one. Anyhow, just an opinion, which of course is aimed at being positive criticism and not just to stir things. I hope it sells well.

• Aerosoft

Hi Mathijs, as I mentioned and I'm sure I'm not on my own with this one, I fly regularly throughout Europe, different countries at different times. Yesdterday I flew Bari to Faro, so that's two countries straight off! Tonight I'll be flying Bristol to Madrid, another two! So I don't think my surprise, or that of others is unrealistic. However, I wish you well with the product. I may download later to have a looksy.

I simply do not understand why people accept that an Schiphol scenery covers an airport, VFR Germany covers Germany, US Cities cover a US city, Mega Scenery Arizona covers Arizona but think that Night Environment should always cover a much wider area. Not to speak bad but I simply do not understand why you expect a different sales model. We'll ask 12.95 Euro (less if you are outside the EU) for 900 megabytes of data. I think that's dirt cheap.

You mention 4 airports and I assume you got 4 scenery products for those airports. You would not buy one and expect it to cover all the airports.

Howard, I appreciate your polite inquiries’

You should look at the cup half full though

There is more than one airport in los Angeles or UK

Im sure you don’t have every single commercial airport to go along

The half full part; NE covers the whole country! your just missing the other airports now

Joking aside; I don’t understand why people are under the assumption that NE should be released on continent base

I believe people are under the assumption this is a simple process to produce

Well… simply put and without getting technical; it isn’t

The process takes very long time and is processing consuming

You’d be surprised that the majority of the process is manual!

NE Night Maps take very long time to produce; and these has to be created manually

Like Mathijs had mentioned, the estimated size of the continental USA rendered with NE lights technology is well OVER 100GB!

85% of that pie has to be created manually, our textures are not autogen nor our lights!

I can only hope you guys will show NE series your love and support

As this will allow AS to offer deeper discounts and bundles as we grow NE coverage

I hope this help clear some of the questions

Good news that Night Environment will be cheaper in larger areas (if I've understood correctly), but what about those people (like me) who have already bought Netherlands and Belgium as separate packages? Will Aerosoft be offering a partial refund or what?

All prices are without EU VAT (so it will be €12.95 and €14.95 for EU customers. Existing customers of NE-Belgium or NE-Netherlands will get a copy of NE-Benelux as a replacement.

Sorry, but this doesn't go far enough. NE Belgium + NE Netherlands cost 27.90 EUR - the new NE Benelux will be approx. 10.50 EUR - so a short fall of about 17 EUR. It will be a pity if Aerosoft aren't prepared to make a proper gesture to their regular customers...

• Deputy Sheriffs

If you already bought Belgium and Netherlands, I'ld suggest that you contact Aerosoft directly on this.

Sorry, my words may have come out wrong. I have 71 Aerosoft sceneries and aircraft, including all US cities. Basically I have hundreds of sceneries from different developers and all of them legal.
I don't fly much at night because there's not much to see. The way some people look, NE only works at night. An airport or a city works day and night.
When buyers look at the future prospect of buying, maybe, hundreds of individual products whose sole purpose is to light up a country at night, they may not get encouraged to buy them enough. If the developer
doesn't profit, then what stimulates him to go on developing? The sole purpose of making a product is to profit from it.
What some people are thinking is "I won't pay for individual products as much as like, but I will gladly pay for something that gives me more". So, changing your business approach was a good thing. :)

• Developer

Do these night sceneries work with P3D 2.1? I tried the Berlin demo and liked it, but I am reluctant to try installing it in P3D if it's not compatible. And I'm reluctant to buy anything at all that doesn't work in P3D.

Archived