Does Aerosoft do enough against software piracy?

Petra_Mölling

Hello,

I´m new here, so hello again :).

My question is, does Aerosoft fight enough against software piracy and does the customer suffer from this?

My opinion is, when I only tipped in (you can try it on your own) PMDG, Carenado in youtube or google, it comes up with crack. On those sites the add-on is probably downloaded a hundred times or even a thousand times. This made me sick.

The financial damage must be intense. Who pays that? I guess, we do.

Your opinions and solutions are welcome.

P.S. 1000 times 30€ equals 30.000€.

I'd assume we always pay for damage caused by "theft": Theft in stores, wasting taxpayers' money, not paying taxes properly in the first place. It all raises prices and taxes above what would be necessary if this behavior didn't exist.

The problem with pirates, IMO, are not the pirates themselves, but those low-down little lives who rather download their cracked copy instead of paying money for decent software and to dedicated developers.

Fighting piracy probably doesn't help controlling the problem, but the fight against piracy does cost money by itself - additional money ...

Last statement of mine: I'd guess a large percentage of those people downloading illegally wouldn't buy the software, even if they had to. They grab it for free gladly; but they'd probably refrain from its use if legal purchases were their only option.

I think Aerosoft does whatever they can to avoid software piracy, but no matter how hard they try they can never stop it. Nobody can. The only thing you can do about it is not use any illegal products.

On the other hand I have to admit, I sometimes have downloaded illegal software to see if it was worth buying. But I never kept it illegally. If it was not worth buying, I uninstalled it again and deleted the download. If it was worth buying, I bought it immediately after. In other words you can say I used the illegal version as a trial version. I admit it's not strictly legal, but I figure it's less bad because the developers will eventually get their money (or not if I decide not to use their product).

What we need is a change of attitude towards illegal software. Not better security, that'll always remain a cat and mouse game. No matter how hard you make it, it'll always be cracked because there is a demand for illegal software. Take away that demand and it won't be cracked anymore.

Anti-piracy is always about balancing. On one hand you have to prevent guys from illegaly using the software on the other hand you have to make sure that the buyers are not being hindered by the anti-piracy means. Anti-piracy wouldnt be of use if there are no thieves anymore but noone likes to buy the product. So there will always be illegal software copying.

Many companies are now tending more towards good support, extras, a good connection to the customers and so on. That wont work against all types of software thieves (dont think that the word pirate fits well here) but there will be some people who would buy to show support.

Miss Moelling has only yesterday registered an account and immediatly opens a topic. Nothing wrong with that, but for most of us a first post was a support question or some general inquiry, not a topic about software piracy and how sick it makes her.

I cannot help but feel that there's some hidden agenda here.

Aerosoft as a software publisher has undoubtedly given the subject of piracy ample thought. I'm sure they have chosen a method of which they feel it's a good compromise between user-friendliness and protection of their products. Why is it important what we as end-users think of that?

Hi

The best method against piracy as far as you are concerned is to not think about them at all. A receipt with your name on it is the best protection as a buyer. I remember a very long time ago I tried a cracked copy for a scenery just to test before buying, and the result was a complete reformat for my pc. Never again. Besides, it is a very personal attribution to respect some one's hard work and respect the laws etc. It starts with self respect.

Jead

• Aerosoft

I think we got a reasonable balance between protection and ease of use. See I got some software that I fully paid for but still use the pirated copy because the legal copy makes me jump through hoops I do not want to jump through.

Also keep in mind a pirated copy is not a lost sale.

Archived